shape
carat
color
clarity

Fantasy cut gemstones

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found an older thread on fantasy cuts (2 years ago), and it was interesting to see the different opinions people have on the style. Wondering if anyone has purchased a fantasy cut since then, and if so what did you do with it? What did you think about it IRL versus in static pictures?

I've always admired fantasy cuts for being so unique, but never quite saw one that made me think "THIS is something I need to wear". I more thought of them as something to look at in static pics but not for regular wear.

Buuuut then I was introduced to these little works of art by Ryan Anderson.

13071854_10206226585599419_8686446025197508226_o.jpg
largerlotus.jpg

I'm a sucker for lotus flowers and love the symbolism behind them. I bought the smaller one (and will likely buy the larger one too), and the smaller one arrived yesterday. I like that fantasy cuts can be affordable when using less pricey stones (e.g. amethyst). Of course this won't be everyone's taste, but I think it's unique and interesting.

1462847844793.jpg 1462847952527.jpg

ETA: I just realized that these pios are pretty dark. Was in my kitchen with only the side lights on. Oops!

So, does anyone else have fantasy cuts? Want them? Hate them? Love them? :wavey:

austinj

Shiny_Rock
That's so funny you posted this as I have been looking at a bunch of John dyers stones recently and I really want a fantasy cut!! There are some I like and some I don't like but they can make for some really cool jewelry. The ones I'm not a huge fan of are the ones where they drill holes and put another type of material in to make different colored tubes in the gem. I've seen that only by Gemfix I think so far. But all in all I love them! Yours is really beautiful and unique! Can't wait to see what you do with it!

luxroman

Rough_Rock
They have a very romantic and lovely look! I'd love to see some more pictures in another light :)

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
oh my goodness, lovedogs! I loooooove this! :love: :love: :love: These are right up my alley.

I bet these would look so magical in the right kind of setting.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blushpeony|1462917998|4029953 said:
oh my goodness, lovedogs! I loooooove this! :love: :love: :love: These are right up my alley.

I bet these would look so magical in the right kind of setting.

Thanks BlushPeony, Luxroman and Austinj!

Austin: I totally agree about liking some and not others! I like the ones from gemfix, but can't actually see myself using them as jewelry. It's more like I want to look at them as being unusual and cool, but not wear them, ya know?

BlushPeony: Do you have any thoughts on setting?? I'm really struggling to decide how I want to set it! I want to maximize light that gets into the setting, so I was thinking about either:

1) a faux tension setting (with a small bar underneath the stone itself or a "donut" thing under the stone) like this: r6022-gents-diamond-ring-a.jpg brandnewkickassprofilesm.jpg

or 2) A setting similar to one I saw on here by a fellow CS'er (but forgot who now!) made by DK
10399303_961937517222386_6889910726231660314_n.jpg 12805965_961937433889061_8658382655184293174_n.jpg

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, they are beautiful stones. I am not into a lot of the fantasy cuts but your stones are stunning!!!! I think it's the flowers it just makes them beautiful rather than too busy like some with weird patterns on them.

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks like a beautiful mini stained glass picture (I mean that in a good way...a true work of art!). I have a couple of stones from Uli but nothing as intricate as your beauty.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
luxroman|1462913324|4029908 said:
They have a very romantic and lovely look! I'd love to see some more pictures in another light :)

Ask and you shall receive :lol:
1462933575518.jpg 1462933520072.jpg 1462933474021.jpg

I was so excited to get home and take more pics in daylight and am seriously floored by this stone. I am just happy whenever I look at it and cannot WAIT to set it! I've already reached out to DK about potential directions and ideas. I feel very lucky that I randomly saw a shared post of this gem cutter on FB and was able to connect with him...bonus points that he's a nice guy as well! :appl:

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
ooh I really like the setting designs you have in mind, particularly the second one (amethyst) because the delicate details would suit the floral design of your stone really well.

I'm not the most creative when it comes to settings, but here is a photo of a ring that I had saved as inspiration for another project. img_5023.png
I think a setting like this, that gives a nod to the floral theme without being too obvious, would look lovely with your stone. :)

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Woah!!! That cutting is out of this world!!

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
*gasp* just saw your new photos. :love: This stone is so beautiful and truly one of a kind! So glad it made it into your hands, and can't wait to see what you do with it!

S

SparkliesLuver

How beautiful and unique! I love your stone, lovedogs. I'd be itching to set it too. Does Ryan Anderson have a website? I'd love to own a fantasy cut, but I'd want to explore them a lot more before deciding on just one. In a way, I consider a lot of Uli's work (http://www.osirisgems.com/Designs.html) just that, but maybe that's because they're so unique and I don't see other work like his. I'm still trying to figure out a way to own one of his liquid flower cuts. :naughty: Someday!

_37157.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your stone looks gorgeous lovedogs!!! Looking forward to see it set.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I usually don't like fantasy cuts at all, but I love flowers and I love your stone!! Does he have a gallery or anything of his other work? I'd love to have a look. That is a really special gem you have there lovedogs!! Thanks for sharing with us.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very pretty, great score! Your setting inspirations look great as well.
Question though, what does the profile view of your stone look like?
Just curious.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone for the kind words! Yes, Ryan does have a website: http://ryanjosephgems.com/product-category/gemstones/

ETA: I think he doesn't have a ton of stuff on his website, and told me that if any of the ones I really liked sold before I decided that he does custom cutting all the time and would be happy to make another one of whichever one I liked (or in a different gemstone material, size, ec).

About the profile view of my stone, Rfisher, good question! I haven't really looked--now I will when I get home :)

Already heard back from DK and he suggested going with a slightly modified version of his rose gold setting I posted for inspiration above. He suggested that over a faux tension/partial bezel because he said he likes the cuts on the side of the stone and those would be more covered with the tension style. He's starting to draw it now, so at some point soonish this one will bet set :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1462967140|4030176 said:
How beautiful and unique! I love your stone, lovedogs. I'd be itching to set it too. Does Ryan Anderson have a website? I'd love to own a fantasy cut, but I'd want to explore them a lot more before deciding on just one. In a way, I consider a lot of Uli's work (http://www.osirisgems.com/Designs.html) just that, but maybe that's because they're so unique and I don't see other work like his. I'm still trying to figure out a way to own one of his liquid flower cuts. :naughty: Someday!

I LOVE Uli's cuts as well! I think they are so "flowy" and gorgeous. I just never quite found one that I NEEDED that was in stock. My favorites were always sold haha. But definitely on my list of "someday to own", which I guess is about 2 miles long as this point :lol: :lol:

S

SparkliesLuver

lovedogs said:
I LOVE Uli's cuts as well! I think they are so "flowy" and gorgeous. I just never quite found one that I NEEDED that was in stock. My favorites were always sold haha. But definitely on my list of "someday to own", which I guess is about 2 miles long as this point :lol: :lol:

^^ Yes! And I can't wait to see DK's cads. :D

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1462990452|4030320 said:
Already heard back from DK and he suggested going with a slightly modified version of his rose gold setting I posted for inspiration above. He suggested that over a faux tension/partial bezel because he said he likes the cuts on the side of the stone and those would be more covered with the tension style. He's starting to draw it now, so at some point soonish this one will bet set :)

How exciting!
I can't wait to see this, if you post it.
I have this same picture of the setting saved as an idea for a 4+ ct spinel cab I have coming....

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So in the end I didn't use DK for this design--the setting I was thinking of was pricer than I was hoping, and my other idea (tension setting from Bruce Boone) didn't work because Bruce said max mm size stone is around 7ish mm and mine is 10mm. So I investigated some semi bezels similar to the classic Sholdt styles and found an Etsy vendor who's work I liked a lot. I got the ring today and am super excited about it! 10K white gold semi bezel with knife edge. Seriously so comfortable that I keep thinking it's not on my finger. I've never had this style of ring and am converted :)

Also her packaging was super adorable! Came in a rose shaped ring box (her Etsy name is MRose, so that was a sweet little touch). My pics of the ring in the box are horrendous, but wanted to show how neat it looked when I took it out of the box!

Collage%202016-07-07%2019_27_36.jpg Collage%202016-07-07%2019_26_58.jpg Collage%202016-07-07%2019_26_14.jpg

My larger necklace stone will be paid off in August, so I'll get pics of that on here asap :)

FYI The vendor is MRose on etsy. I had an awesome experience w her and would recommend her to anyone. She original timeline was off by a few weeks, but I was very adamant that I wasn't in a rush (and she warned me she was swamped in June with wedding orders), so no problem for me. She's super sweet, and I have another ring on the way soon (with the re-cut spess I got from Jason Brim). Planning on having her do some other pieces for me as well.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ah, just saw your post in the fabulous below 1250 thread and immediately went to this thread so see more pics. Your stone and setting are amazing! I love love love this effortless chic style :love: :love:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Couldn't resist taking a few more shots today in the sun, since yesterday it was the last bit of sunlight before getting dark. It's SO COMFORTABLE, and whenever I look down it's a happy little flower on my finger and makes me smile :D

Collage%202016-07-08%2017_17_57.jpg

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
lovedogs|1468025265|4053378 said:
Couldn't resist taking a few more shots today in the sun, since yesterday it was the last bit of sunlight before getting dark. It's SO COMFORTABLE, and whenever I look down it's a happy little flower on my finger and makes me smile :D

Collage%202016-07-08%2017_17_57.jpg

Pretty ring and great choice on setting! Lovely profile too.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really pretty, Lovedogs! So glad you have it and love it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so pretty! I love it that it is not only unique, but easy to set.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results