shape
carat
color
clarity

Fancy Yellow Cushion in Halo

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wanted to start off with a big thank you to Pricescope and all those who contribute to it. I learned so much from everyone! In return, here is my contribution!

In September 2010, with the help of Todd Neuhaus from Union Diamond, I found my beautiful diamond! Fi and I decided that we would put the bulk of the budget on the diamond, and picked this 3-stone setting as our temp. setting (back in September, I believe this setting was closer to $400 :shock: :o ... not anymore due to the price jumps!)

Here are the diamond specs:
GIA
Shape and Cutting Style: Cushion Modified Brilliant
Measurements: 6.65 x 6.62 x 4.09 mm
Carat wt: 1.51 ct
Color: Natural Fancy Yellow
Clarity: VVS2
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: None

At that pre-Pricescope time, my "mind clean" goals were a square cushion, more than 1.5 ct (ooo... exceeded by 0.01ct!), and LxW greater than 6.5mm. The VVS2 was a bonus. And I wanted lemon yellow, not butter beige! This was pre-Pricescope, so I did not know about the existence of assets and other informative documentation that is available for diamonds. Luckily, my sales rep really listened and guided me through the process. UD also had a good return policy. Upon receipt of the ring, I brought it to an independent appraiser, Barry Block, who also turned out to be a Pricescope recommended independent appraiser, who verified that the diamond matched the GIA report and that I had gotten a good deal!

I felt special because after we got this ring, I saw that Union Diamond had put the picture up on their FB and website - call me corny! :tongue: :cheeky:

yellow%20cushion.jpg

While I was diamond searching with Todd, I started googling reviews of UD, and found Pricescope! Through Pricescope, I got infected with DSS, and learned that sometimes halos can cure DSS! :saint: (smiley + halo!) :lol: I had never seen a halo'd ring before Pricescope - the closest thing I can honestly say I had seen in real life at that point that resembled a halo would be the pizza crust of a pizza pie. :rolleyes: (even I have to roll my eyes at myself sometimes!). I became obssessed with halos - I had a bunch of the halo threads open on my computer, and each night before bedtime, I'd scroll through a few pages.

I took my halo bug and then infected my mom with it. She then got not one, but THREE BGD halo rings with signature stones between Feb 2011-April 2011. (My dad probably does NOT thank Pricescope for that one!) :lol: :lol: :lol: . (One of these days, when I can corner her, I will get finger shots to go with the glamour shots, and post them. If it were not for Pricescope, I would never have learned about BGD!)

As I was flipping through the halo topics, I came upon this halo: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-co-workers-new-bgd-halo.134273/. It was my dream setting! :love: :love: . All that milgraining, especially the double in the center made me go gaga! I saved it and e-mailed the thread to my fiance, he liked it too. I was also excited about the prospect of working with BGD, too. This was early 2011. THEN the crazy price hikes... A custom setting with BGD would be way out of what I deemed a reasonable budget, and I was very disappointed :cry: :cry:

Although I had planned on resetting my cushion at a much later date (a couple of years down the road), the rapidly rising prices really forced my hand. Through Pricescope I learned that halos that looked like this BGD halo were Tiffany-Legacy-inspired halos, and that many other Pricescope vendors could create a similar halo. Ultimately, I went with ERD because I wanted someone in NY (where we live), and since this was going to be my "forever setting", I anticipated the ring needing some maintenance through the years, so I wanted to keep the vendor local. Also, ERD had a very competitive price for what I wanted executed, and since their specialty was cushions, who better to leave my "precious" with? Also, I wanted the setting to be made to conform to MY diamond, and ERD, as cushion experts, understand that cushions come in different shapes - i.e., some are more curvy, more angular, etc., so they intended on creating the CADs around my diamond.

Setting design - I knew I wanted a legacy inspired setting. I wanted the band to be half eternity because I didn't want to "feel" the diamonds in between my fingers, if that makes sense, and since I'm clumsy, I could foresee myself knocking melee out of the bottom of the band all the time. Adding to the clumsy factor, I wanted a yellow gold bezel around my diamond to protect it. I also wanted milgrain around the bezel in the center. I initially wanted a white gold setting, but the prices jumped up so much that the difference between white gold and platinum was negligible, so, with the help of my fellow Pricescopers, (see the thread below), I decided on a PT950/Ru blend.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/legacy-inspired-setting-white-gold-or-platinum.163838/

Initially, my e-mails were answered by Mark. After I committed to ERD, my correspondences were handled by Chris. Chris has a cool, laid back style which really complemented the rabid-chihuahua that came out of me during the setting process :twisted: (kidding! - I wasn't THAT bad... :nono: ). I felt very confident dealing with Chris due to his vast experience with Vatche. He assured me he was not going to let me walk out with an ugly ring from ERD, because that would be really bad advertising :knockout: . He pretty much provided me weekly updates about my setting and where it was in the process, and was quick to respond to any questions I had. I couldn't have asked for more!

I know I'm rambling, but this is like a proud Pricescope moment for me - my first "Show Me the Bling!" topic! And now the good stuff...
CADs!!!

HS-1.jpg

HS-2.jpg

HS-3.jpg

HS-4.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The only thing I wanted added to the CADs was milgrain around the center.

And then I got the preview pictures from ERD!!! :love:

Not only did I get the milgrain around the center, but the center bezel has a little "scoop" to that makes it look like a double bezel :love: :love: :appl: :appl:

And a video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pTHMTJIfjF8&feature=player_profilepage

To be continued...
Handshots tomorrow!

(New found respect for all of you who post pictures! Resizing and uploading is tedious! Phew! :-o )

HS-6.jpg

4ever e-ring front.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it's beautiful! congratulations!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful! I am awaiting handshots. The yellow gold accent around the stone is great and really adds to the yellow.
I, personally, LOVE legacy-style halos, as I have my own BGD.
Wear it in good health.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
:love: Can't wait to see hand shots.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
gorgeous!

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
ERD did well! Congrats on your lovely ring.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow! You had a pretty ring before, but this really makes that stone shine! It is gorgeous! Great job! Anxiously awaiting handshots!

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love love love your reset!!! Can't wait for handshots!!!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh man, I love it both ways!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How very beautiful! Congratulations.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Your new ring is gorgeous! Love that setting :love:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you all for the lovely compliments! :praise:

Please be forewarned - I have a 8.25 size ring finger + some summer swelling. I sometimes think my fingers resemble Patrick the starfish from Sponge Bob - the way they taper to the nail. :lol: :roll:

These are iPhone pics - in different settings:

Outside ERD's office
In the elevator going down
Lobby of ERD's building

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0022.jpg

IMG_0023.jpg

IMG_0024.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some iPhone pics in the elevator of Fi's building!

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow. I am seriously impressed!!!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
2 more in the elevator!

In the car!

IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
More in the car!
IMG_0047.jpg IMG_0049.jpg IMG_0051_0.jpg IMG_0053.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
iPhone pics around the apartment in different lighting:

Messy bedroom :oops:
IMG_0067_0.jpg IMG_0069_0.jpg

Bathroom
IMG_0073.jpg IMG_0075.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0077.jpg IMG_0078.jpg IMG_0079.jpg IMG_0080.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0081_0.jpg IMG_0082_0.jpg IMG_0083_1.jpg IMG_0084_2.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0085.jpg IMG_0086.jpg IMG_0087.jpg IMG_0088_0.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0089_3.jpg IMG_0090.jpg IMG_0091.jpg IMG_0092_0.jpg

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMG_0093_1.jpg

And thank you for viewing this Pricescope pictorial rendition of War and Peace!!! :wavey: :wavey:

dani13

Ideal_Rock
Oh, how I LOVE that!!! It's absolutely stunning!!! ERD did a great job. Congrats on your gorgeous new ring and enjoy it!!! :appl:

renogirl

Shiny_Rock
That reset is absolutely stunning!!! Really makes the center stone shine :love: :love: :love:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nice execution by ERD! Wear it in good health!

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock
congrats! another fancy colored diamond! :love:

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
STUNNING ring! ANd nice photography too :)

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much for all the kind and flattering words. It means a lot, especially since I've long admired all of your gorgeous pieces!!! :love: :love:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results