shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW Fancy vivid yellow pear: meet Marilyn!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful, congratulations!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That turned out beautifully, love the color! Finding a good yellow diamond is not easy.

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
When I saw this thread had new replies, I decided to share some of Marilyn's latest glamour shots! I think I've finally figured out how to capture the color...

image-jpeg.492719

Diamonds and pearls! (RIP, Prince.)

image-jpeg.492720

Fire shot!

image-jpeg.492721

In the sunlight.

image-jpeg.492722

Surprise stone!

Sadly, Marilyn did not win the award at the competition :( The jeweler said it went to "something really plain" instead. Silly judges! I'm trying not to take it personally, since the design elements came mostly from me: halo, pave split shank, 1.5 point melee, two-tone gold, surprise stones, and the actual diamond. (To be fair, he was the one who came up with the idea for the yellows on the shanks, which I love.) Guess I should have gone with something plainer :razz:

Just kidding, I love this ring. It's everything I wanted and more. Thanks for coming along on my FCD journey, everybody! This has been a really rewarding project. I think I'm ruined for off-the-rack jewelry now...

Last edited:

daisydukes

Rough_Rock
Just wanted to chime in and say that your ring is BEAUTIFUL! I am re-working my pear e-ring and would love to know a couple of things:
1. Are the 1.5 pointers considered larger than what would normally be used for a halo? My pear is 1 ct and I'm trying to get a feel for appropriate scale.
2. How much diameter did your halo add to the ring?
3. Is the halo set at an angle sloping away from the center stone, or is it on the 90? I can't tell for sure from the photos.
4. What specifications did you request for the quality of the melee? Your halo glows!

Thanks, and enjoy your lovely ring!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful stone and ring, congrats!!!

Vogue

Shiny_Rock
Just wanted to chime in and say that your ring is BEAUTIFUL! I am re-working my pear e-ring and would love to know a couple of things:
1. Are the 1.5 pointers considered larger than what would normally be used for a halo? My pear is 1 ct and I'm trying to get a feel for appropriate scale.
2. How much diameter did your halo add to the ring?
3. Is the halo set at an angle sloping away from the center stone, or is it on the 90? I can't tell for sure from the photos.
4. What specifications did you request for the quality of the melee? Your halo glows!

Thanks, and enjoy your lovely ring!

Thank you! Remaking your ring, how fun :)

1. I think a lot of halos are 1 pointers. My jeweler and I looked at CADs from 0.5-2 pointers (quite a difference). He also showed me how melee of different size would look by pulling some actual stones and letting me compare. I decided that 1.5 was my sweet spot between my desire for maximum bling and my desire not to overwhelm the center stone. The vivid color really helped there; if it had been a light yellow, I would have gone with smaller melee. But then I also would have been able to afford a bigger stone, so it would have come out in the wash :razz:

2. I couldn't tell you exactly, but I attached a picture of the loose diamond on my finger for comparison.

3. 90 degrees.

4. I told my jeweler that I trusted him to source melee that would look good, and he delivered!

IMG_1390.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results