shape
carat
color
clarity

Family Rings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Over Thanksgiving, I asked my mom to get the antique diamond necklace that I''m wearing at my wedding out of the bank vault so I could try it on with some potential earrings (BAD fit, blah, back to square one on the earrings front), and it ended up turning into a totally random let''s look at & take pictures of all the good family jewelry! Basically, both of my grandparents died in the past several years, so my mom and her 3 sisters are still slowly divvying everything up. My mom is (luckily for me!) the most enthusiastic about the jewelry so far, which is how I''ve ended up with a couple smaller pieces already, and she has a few more pieces now too.

BUT - the star of this show as far as I''m concerned, is my great grandmother''s engagement ring! In the 70''s, when she died, everyone in the family was sad that her ring seemed to have disappeared and they assumed it had been stolen or lost at some point, and that was that. Then, a few weeks ago, my parents moved into my grandparents'' old house (which they received when a friend of theirs died, so it''s like triple-furnished at this point) which is filled with boxes and boxes of decaying worthless junk, while they wait for their new house to be completed. For Thanksgiving, my brother & his wife and my fiance & I all went up to stay with them, so my mom was trying to clean things out to make it more liveable. In the bottom of a box filled mainly with newspaper clippings and old bills etc, was a small envelope that had, in my grandfather''s handwriting, the word "anelli" on it. (My grandfather was in the foreign service so they lived in Rome a long time and a lot of people in the family speak at least a little Italian - but most probably wouldn''t have recognized what that meant) My mom that it meant "rings" but was just confused because, hey, it''s a small scrappy envelope shoved in a huge box of junk. BUT then she opened it up and THERE WAS HER GRANDMOTHER''S ENGAGEMENT RING!!! It had apparently been sitting in this box for 30 years and for some reason people just must not have mentioned how the ring was missing to my grandfather (her son-in-law) so he never got around to telling them. Long story (sorry!) but I thought it was just crazy, so I wanted to share.

Without further ado: my great grandmother''s engagement ring!! (Purchased around when she got married in the early 1900s, but we''re not sure if it was new at that point or not)

diamondsapphring1.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
I love how there are teeny tiny diamonds in between the sapphire & the sidestones!

diamondsapphring2.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock

diamondsapphring3.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock

diamondsapphring4.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
This is a ring that belonged to...someone else in my family! No idea really. But, since my mom couldn''t choose her grandmother''s engagement ring at the point of divvying (which she had always dreamt of having - her birthstone is sapphire), she chose this one for the sapphire/diamond combo!

sapph4diamondsring1.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
It''s so funny, she never wore her engagement ring or any other nice jewelry until I got engaged. Now she''s pulling out the good stuff alllll the time.
9.gif

sapph4diamondsring2.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
She''s considering asking her sisters if she can exchange this for her grandmother''s e-ring, but that is probably much more valuable & they all knew it as their grandmother''s ring, so she''s not sure if they''d be okay with it monetarily or sentimentally.... Plus she has grown attached to this one in the past year or two that she''s had it.

sapph4diamondsring3.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
And now...my mom''s engagement ring! My dad''s mother bought it at an antique store when he was a child, so it''s not an old family ring, but it is old! And then she gave it to him to propose with, so it has a family thing going there too.
3.gif
I have never seen another ruby cut this way! Plus the engraving on the band is sooo gorgeous. No idea how old it is.

momengring1.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
This had been a bit loose, AND one of the prongs was broken, so she wore it VERY rarely for years. You know, until I started wearing my diamond! So now it''s fixed and in great shape. Hehe, it cracks me up so much to see her all decked out all the time now.
9.gif

momengring2.jpg

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Oookay I guess that''s it for now! I thought I had pictures of the ring my mom gave my about-to-become-sister-in-law, but they don''t seem to be on this computer. I''ll try to post them later though, b/c it''s really cool! Enjoy!

Oh wait! Hehe, one more thing. Here''s a picture of the pin that is in the necklace thread I linked to earlier in its original box. So pretty!
9.gif

diamondpininbox.jpg

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, what beautiful treasures you have!

Thanks for sharing them with us. I love the sapphire & diamond rings...and that diamond pin is to DIE for. The box it came in is so lovely as well. That was delightful to see, thank you!
36.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!! I love the blue and red colors of those rings, stunning. Antique pieces are so much fun, I wish they designed more cuts and settings in antique styles.

susi

Shiny_Rock
They are all beautiful.....and so emotive. I am especially drawn to the pin.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone!!
9.gif
It was so much fun, especially since neither of us ever had fancy jewelry when I was growing up!

darling

Shiny_Rock
style="WIDTH: 99.05%; HEIGHT: 94px">Date: 12/1/2006 11:52:30 AM
Author: albicocca
Oookay I guess that''s it for now! I thought I had pictures of the ring my mom gave my about-to-become-sister-in-law, but they don''t seem to be on this computer. I''ll try to post them later though, b/c it''s really cool! Enjoy!

Oh wait! Hehe, one more thing. Here''s a picture of the pin that is in the necklace thread I linked to earlier in its original box. So pretty!
9.gif
I remember your thread about the necklace and the pin - really beautiful. I also noticed the inside of the box says "Wedding Present" 1966. Since that is my birth year, maybe you would like to give the pin to me? I would take really good care of it :).
Seriously though, I like that piece of information, because after many years family may not know the occasion when jewelry was given or to whom.

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/1/2006 2:35:02 PM
Author: darling
I remember your thread about the necklace and the pin - really beautiful. I also noticed the inside of the box says ''Wedding Present'' 1966. Since that is my birth year, maybe you would like to give the pin to me? I would take really good care of it :).

Seriously though, I like that piece of information, because after many years family may not know the occasion when jewelry was given or to whom.

Hehehe, I''ll have to get back to you on that!
2.gif

As for the 1966, the pin is actually engraved with the wedding date of my great-great-grandparents (I think? someone like that) as it was a wedding gift from him to her on their wedding day. I''m not sure the whole pass-down-trajectory is listed on the card, but I do like that it''s right in the box with it!
1.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Man, I wish I had heirloom stuff! That first ring is stunning! LIke, WOW. I''m not a big sapphire person unless it''s bright, and those are WOW. Lucky!

widget

Ideal_Rock
I''m just popping into say that for some reason, I can''t get any pictures to unload on this thread. I''ve been trying all day...I''m dying to see these treasures!

Hmmmph...SO frustrating!

Is anyone else having this problem? or is it just my %$#& computer?

widget

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Eeeek, sorry Widget!!! I uploaded them through the "Attach File" button and they were resized so should definitely be small enough so I have no idea why they wouldn''t work for you!! I hope you can get in soon!!

And thanks, Amber!
9.gif

Leila

Brilliant_Rock
Albicocca, thanks for sharing pics of your family''s stunning heirlooms. I love antique jewelry, they have such a mysterious and romantic appeal to them.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
oh albi, those are amazing rings and a fantastic pin!!!!! I too love the inscription on the box. maybe I ought to do that w/all my jewelry, so I don''t forget who gave it to me! hehe.

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
~~Albi, those pieces are truly beautiful...I love your great grandmother's e-ring and the pin!! So gorgeous!!
30.gif

FacetFire

Brilliant_Rock
Wow, these are gorgeous pieces! You are so lucky to have them in the family! Love all the sapphires! And your mom''s ering is so cool!

SoonIHope

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Leila, Flopkins, BlingDiva & FacetFire!!
9.gif

And Flopkins - it IS such a good idea! My mom never used to do it but now going through all these old pieces and finding out where they came from, she''s going back and writing little notes to tuck in with all the unlabeled ones. It''s so much fun!

On a sort of side note, I just dropped off my wedding ring to be engraved on Saturday & I''m so excited to think of it being one of these old family pieces where my descendents can track whose it was from our initials and wedding date! Hehe now I feel like such a dork, but I just loooove engravings & knowing the history of pieces!

sevens one

Ideal_Rock
oh those are wonderful pieces.
such history- I love it

mara54

Shiny_Rock
Wow, what beautiful jewelery, I love heirloom''s ..I also have some of my grandmother''s rings, must post them soon someday. All of your rings look beautiful,, so glad you found them..and for sharing them with us...
35.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
What gorgeous heirlooms! I love the gold shank on your mom''s engagement ring. Such amazing pieces!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results