shape
carat
color
clarity

Faint Fluorescece

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DCguy

Rough_Rock
I took my newly purchased 2.27 G color diamond to my jeweler to look at settings. She commented that it was a nice looking stone but then said she wanted to "check something out". She placed the stone under ultraviolet light and commented that she noticed fluorescense in the stone but wanted to verify it.

I was kind of taken aback by this....my GIA grading report lists faint fluorescence which I thought was alsolutely invisible to even a trained Gemologist?? She did comment that although the stone "looked a tad hazy" to her, she sees dozens of stones every day and I would probably never notice it, but now I really have to wonder.

Is this a big deal?? Help!

Mike

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Did you purchae the stone from her? There have been many posts on PS about peoples jewlers being bratty so to speak when they see a stone pruchased from someone else.

DCguy

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/6/2005 11:42:25 PM
Author: Matatora
Did you purchae the stone from her? There have been many posts on PS about peoples jewlers being bratty so to speak when they see a stone pruchased from someone else.
I didn''t purchase the stone from her but have bought other items from her before. I think she knew that I would most likely not be purchasing the stone from her so I don''t think that was the issue.

Also...she mentioned that she saw the fluorescence without seeing a cert and without me mentioning it. That''s what really made me nervous!

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
Many B&M jewelers will pop on a UV light and look at the fluorescence of a stone. I think they are curious more than anything, I don''t think she was trying to say your stone is bad. Keep in mind that fluorescence is not necessarily a bad thing, so long as the stone is not incredibly hazy because of it. In fact, depending on the color grade, fluro can actually benefit a stone, making it look "whiter" and more near a colorless graded stone. I think what Matatora said could also be a factor - did you purchase the stone from that store? Because she may be trying to pull a '' hey your stone sucks, trade it in a buy one from us'' type of thing, when your stone is perfectly fine! Who knows, but I wouldn''t get too concerned....
2.gif

IrishEyes

Brilliant_Rock
I just saw your other post. Well, you don''t need a cert to see fluorescence, like I said, she was probably just curious to see if it had any or not, that''s why she popped on the UV light. Whenever I go to jewelers, alot of them want to see if my diamond has any, which it doesn''t, but I actually think it''s kinda cool when they put the light over the stones!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Faint fluorescence is nothing to worry about in a G colored stone. There are many of us here that have medium blue fluorescence in our stones and we actually prefer it. Mine is a E and is not milky or hazy in any way. So no worries mate.
2.gif

MrsFrk

Brilliant_Rock
My diamond has strong blue fluorescence, and you absolutely cannot tell unless it is under a black light or in direct sunlight.
I absolutely love it. No haziness whatsoever.
It will only fluoresce in the presence of UV, I think that your jeweler is jealous that you didn't buy from her.
You say you've purchased other items from her, but not a 2+ carat diamond, eh?
She said it was nice, but hazy. So in her estimation, a hazy stone is nice.
I should think hazy would preclude niceness.
If you bought it from her she would think it stupendous.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
I''m another fan of fluorescence. I have an E with medium blue. Do a search here at PS, and you''ll feel better about it.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
Mike, there's no way a stone with faint fluorescence is going to look hazy. The vast majority of stones with even strong and very strong fluorescence don't look hazy.

She's full of it.

curlygirl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2005 7:54:05 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Mike, there''s no way a stone with faint fluorescence is going to look hazy. The vast majority of stones with even strong and very strong fluorescence don''t look hazy.

She''s full of it.
I agree 100%--she''s full of it! Don''t even give it a second thought. My stone has medium blue fluorescence and is not hazy whatsoever. Along with many others on this board, I''m a fan of fluorescence and will look for it in my future purchases. You have nothing to worry about!

Capitol Bill

Shiny_Rock
I would agree with all of the above -- faint fluorescence is nothing to bother about and won''t cause a diamond to look hazy. It could even improve the apparent color a tiny bit. Regarding the jeweler who says she noted "haziness" -- though there are obvious reasons to question her motivations because you didn''t purchase the stone from her, I''d be willing to give her the benefit of the doubt until you have the stone checked out by an independent gemologist appraiser. Believe it or not, even the top labs are not immune to an occasional hiccup. Indeed, there are very rare occasions when a stone and it''s accompanying lab report don''t exactly match. Have the stone checked out and verified. If the appraisal results confirm the presence of faint fluorescence, you''ll be able to draw your own conclusions about this jeweler''s ethical conduct.

Bill Scherlag

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/7/2005 10:37:32 AM
Author: curlygirl

Date: 7/7/2005 7:54:05 AM
Author: Richard Sherwood
Mike, there''s no way a stone with faint fluorescence is going to look hazy. The vast majority of stones with even strong and very strong fluorescence don''t look hazy.

She''s full of it.
I agree 100%--she''s full of it! Don''t even give it a second thought. My stone has medium blue fluorescence and is not hazy whatsoever. Along with many others on this board, I''m a fan of fluorescence and will look for it in my future purchases. You have nothing to worry about!
Precisely. And, don''t kid yourself - this is probably close to number one on the hit list of jeweler''s who want you to be disappointed & confused.
20.gif

If you have any concern, take it to a 3rd party to verify what is more than likely a complete non-issue

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results