shape
carat
color
clarity

Factors to look for in a small stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mclapham

Rough_Rock
I'm looking for a small stone solataire engagement ring: about .7 carats. I'm looking at table/depth ratios that give me an ideal cut.

Colors I'm considering: E,F,G

Is there much of a difference for a .7 carat, as to whether I go for an E or a G. Will an E definitely look better,once the ring is worn?

Also, for a small stone, is it worth going for a VS1-2 over an S1-2. Looking at them (not under a 10x lens), they looked the same to me, and wondering if its worthwhile going for higher clarity.

Last and naive question -- how do you check that the GIA certificate that they show you is actually for that particular stone? Can you also double check once the stone has been mounted?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
Color and clarity are more forgiving in smaller stones than in larger ones, so many many people are completely happy with G/SI1 or SI2 (if eye clean). However, everyone''s eyes are different, so you should look at some well cut stones of different colors side by side to be sure. What will make the biggest difference in how a stone this size will look is how well cut it is. Cut really drives sparkle.

Once you purchase the stone, (or before if the vendor will send it to an appraiser first) it is best to have is appraised to validate that it is what they say it is, and to give you an objective opinions during your return period. They can often arrange the setting and do a final validation/insurance appraisal, dependingon what setting you are getting and the logistics of it all.

headlight

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I think that going for say an SI1, G color in a well cut stone will show beautifully. (The well cut part should go without saying because you can have a flawless, D color stone in a horrible cut that will be awful.)
Some people want to know that their stone is of VS clarity or whatever is their criteria. But many realize that if the stone faces up the same, why spend the extra money.
The best way to confirm the stone''s specs is to take it to an idependent appraiser after your purchase, and be sure there is a return policy allotted.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results