shape
carat
color
clarity

"Face up larger" ...meaning?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jbraves17

Rough_Rock
I have heard this term of few times and not quite sure what it means or how it is determined. I have heard it when comparing two stones, one of which is smaller...but will face up larger than the other stone.

What does this mean exactly?

Thanks

JB

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It means that the diameter of the stone is bigger on top and thus will look bigger when viewing the diamond.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 1:17:03 PM
Author:jbraves17
I have heard this term of few times and not quite sure what it means or how it is determined. I have heard it when comparing two stones, one of which is smaller...but will face up larger than the other stone.

What does this mean exactly?

Thanks

JB
When we say ' face up larger' we are referring to spread. This describes how large a diamond looks face up for its weight. For example a well cut round diamond weighing around 1 ct should measure in diameter around 6.5mm. Therefore diamonds which are cut deep with thick girdles, pavilions etc may face up small for the weight ( not look like a 1 carat diamond when viewed face up) or conversely a shallower cut diamond may look large for the weight. This may sound great but sometimes a diamond looking large for the weight can be a result of lesser cut quality in a round diamond.

This page goes into greater detail - http://diamonds.pricescope.com/spread.asp

Similary with people, you could have two men weighing 180 pounds each, but they can look very different if one is tall and thin, the other is shorter and looks heavier - they just carry and show their weight differently and thus it can be with diamonds!

Steel

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/9/2009 1:22:27 PM
Author: Lorelei

When we say '' face up larger'' we are referring to spread. This describes how large a diamond looks face up for its weight. For example a well cut round diamond weighing around 1 ct should measure in diameter around 6.5mm. Therefore diamonds which are cut deep with thick girdles, pavilions etc may face up small for the weight ( not look like a 1 carat diamond when viewed face up) or conversely a shallower cut diamond may look large for the weight. This may sound great but sometimes a diamond looking large for the weight can be a result of lesser cut quality in a round diamond.

Similary with people, you could have two men weighing 180 pounds each, but they can look very different if one is tall and thin, the other is shorter and looks heavier - they just carry and show their weight differently and thus it can be with diamonds!
9.gif
2.gif
9.gif

Ditto.

Great explanations Lorelei & Neat! I couldn''t have said it better.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 1:56:24 PM
Author: Steel

When we say '' face up larger'' we are referring to spread. This describes how large a diamond looks face up for its weight. For example a well cut round diamond weighing around 1 ct should measure in diameter around 6.5mm. Therefore diamonds which are cut deep with thick girdles, pavilions etc may face up small for the weight ( not look like a 1 carat diamond when viewed face up) or conversely a shallower cut diamond may look large for the weight. This may sound great but sometimes a diamond looking large for the weight can be a result of lesser cut quality in a round diamond.

9.gif
2.gif
9.gif

Ditto.

Great explanations Lorelei & Neat! I couldn''t have said it better.
* blush...* Thanks Steel!!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

I'm so glad you used men for the example!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 3:30:46 PM
Author: swingirl

I''m so glad you used men for the example!!!
LOL!!!
9.gif

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
May I add that this clarification is not complete.

You might have a slightly thicker man wearing vertical stripes and the thinner guy wearing horizontal stripes. While the measurable size (diameter) would make number one look bigger, the stripes will make the other guy look bigger.

Similar in diamonds. A diamond with a smaller physical diameter may face up larger, because of edge-to-edge brightness. It is not always directly deductible from the diameters only.

Live long,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 1/9/2009 3:45:03 PM
Author: Paul-Antwerp
May I add that this clarification is not complete.

You might have a slightly thicker man wearing vertical stripes and the thinner guy wearing horizontal stripes. While the measurable size (diameter) would make number one look bigger, the stripes will make the other guy look bigger.

Similar in diamonds. A diamond with a smaller physical diameter may face up larger, because of edge-to-edge brightness. It is not always directly deductible from the diameters only.

Live long,
...which is why we usually suggest buying ideal cut diamonds!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results