shape
carat
color
clarity

F / VVS2 with Needle, Pinpoint and Internal Graining

LRT

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on a diamond engagement ring. I've educated myself on diamonds in the past few months but I'm still very much a novice. My diamond is 0.75 / F / VVS2 / Excellent Cut, Symmetry and Polish / Faint Fluorescence. Here is the page on JamesAllen:

It has clarity characteristics: Needle, Pinpoint and Internal Graining. I've read a few threads about these characteristics individually but is it a possible concern that it has all of these characteristics in the one stone? Is it unsual to feature all of these? Or is there nothing to worry about in a VVS2 clarity diamond?

I've attached the GIA report and some photos of the diamond in different lighting conditions. The diamond looks okay to my untrained eye but looking at it is there anything that I may be missing or should be aware of?

Thank you.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 109
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 59
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • 4.png
    4.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 58
  • 5.png
    5.png
    753.5 KB · Views: 51
  • 6.png
    6.png
    959 KB · Views: 61
  • 7.png
    7.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 56
  • 8.png
    8.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 57
  • 9.png
    9.png
    864.4 KB · Views: 68
  • GIA Report.png
    GIA Report.png
    579 KB · Views: 75

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's totally normal to have all of these and more in a VVS stone. The kind of inclusion is all those words tell you. The VVS rating tells you the "Inclusions so slight they are difficult for a skilled grader to see under 10x magnification". So, you will not see these with the naked eye. Performance is a different animal, but it would be exceedingly rare for any VVS inclusions to impact performance.

Reactions: LRT

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Or is there nothing to worry about in a VVS2 clarity diamond?

The clarity grade is a sum total of everything & close to nothing - two items could be identified as point-sized at 10X. I do not know how the extent of grain allowed is defined for VVS - just put a related question on another thread.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
I have a stunning F colour I1 marquise from JA which has a whole bunch of needles and crystals but I can't see them. White inclusions do hide well. I think a VVS2 with only two or three inclusions is pretty much eye clean. Looks great to me!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am old enough to remember clarity grades as they appear - without, macro videos; VS2 is still fool proof. Feel free to look for options anywhere between FL and VS2 without thinking of clarity - then, mention the GIA report here, for the reasons John Pollard writes of the other day - see #21 on this thread WWW.

SI1 starts to be interesting.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am old enough to remember clarity grades as they appear - without, macro videos; VS2 is still fool proof. Feel free to look for options anywhere between FL and VS2 without thinking of clarity - then, mention the GIA report here, for the reasons John Pollard writes of the other day - see #21 on this thread WWW.

SI1 starts to be interesting.

I don't agree that VS2's are "fool proof". I would agree the majority will be okay, but I have seen some bad ones.

Also, I still believe there are ample SI1 stones available that do not impact light performance and will be eye clean. However as John mentioned, the key is making sure either you personally vet the stone to ensure it's a winner, or you have a trusted vendor with respected gemologist that can review the stone on your behalf and render an honest opinion, even at the expense of a failed sale.

The above in consideration, if I'm working with a trusted vendor and buying online I may consider an SI1. If I'm buying virtual inventory and uncertain of the trust levels, etc then I may want to raise that minimum clarity grade to VS2 as a way to minimize my risk. Without doubt, I may miss out on some good SI1 deals and/or cost myself a few bucks with that decision. However, if you can't trust your own eyes or have a vendor you trust then it's a very logical solution to reduce risk exposure.

Not long ago there was a gorgeous 1+ carat stone, D color and SI2 that CBI was in the midst of producing. With CBI and HPD being so trustworthy and guaranteeing that stone to be eye clean and to have no light performance impact, that becomes the perfect situation where I believe "gambling" on an SI2 is really of no risk at all, but helps the buyer obtain a 1+ carat D color stone super ideal for a tremendously great value!

LRT

Rough_Rock
I have a stunning F colour I1 marquise from JA which has a whole bunch of needles and crystals but I can't see them. White inclusions do hide well. I think a VVS2 with only two or three inclusions is pretty much eye clean. Looks great to me!
Thanks @monipod, it's great to hear others' experiences and opinions such as yours.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results