shape
carat
color
clarity

eye trickery

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

TLS

Shiny_Rock
has anyone ever seen an arrow so pronounced (more so than others in the same stone) that you kept trying to figure out if it was really just the arrow or something more?

I feel like I am losing my mind!

TLS

Shiny_Rock
it doesn''t seem to matter what i am wearing and nope my hair is short and blond! It''s ideal cut h & A. everything about it seems perfect but maybe i am overanalzying. now it has gotten me insane, i am a complete perfectionist!

I feel like when i stare intently at it there is this one little spot near the center that seems darker than everywhere else and no matter how many times i look with a loupe and stare at it from every angle I cannot find any kind of dark inclusion. With the way I have inspected this I don''t think there is any way for an inclusion to be causing it, but I swear to god I see this little slightly darker speck. I think it might be the way one of arrows is appearing. Maybe that is just how all ideals look, to be honest I don''t have a lot of experience looking at hearts and arrows in person, and I don''t think I was aware of how much of a contrast I would see. It sparkles like mad, which makes it even harder to try to pinpoint what I am seeing.

it is gorgeous, but now i am just completely obsessed with determining what I am seeing is and ensuring it''s not any kind of inclusion... I don''t see how it could be an inclusion, i can''t see it from the sides at all.

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
you know the angles of the diamond, color etc can conspire to "show" the insides in ways that are a result of the unique formula of yoru diamond. Perhaps one facet has an angle off by a minute amount compared to the others ................am i making sense?

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Do you have an H&A image of it you can post here?

Diamonds have a "soft side" and a hard side. This requires the cutter to "fudge" the angles in order for a facet to take a good or excellent polish.

If you''re seeing this with the unaided eye, you might want to go to someone who has the ability to report what variances there are with 1) star facets 2) Upper girdle facets 3) lower girdle facets and pavilion main angles and LENGTH.

Having this information will help you solve this mystery.

Rockdoc

Patty

Ideal_Rock
Could it be the culet dark circle? Where all the arrows come together in the very middle of the stone? I see it in both of my ideals and when you angle the stone different ways, it moves. Some of the arrows become longer and some shorter with the darkish circle moving according to the angle of the stone.

With my first diamond, I thought it was the inclusion I was seeing b/c that stone has a crystal right under the table. With the second diamond, I realized it was the same thing...the center of the stone where all the arrows originate. Does anyone else know what I''m talking about?
1.gif

And when you said your hair is short and blond, you then went right into "It''s an ideal cut." For a second I thought you meant your hair!
9.gif

TLS

Shiny_Rock
hi patty & all. I had that same issue with the culet too, where i thought i could see the culet, but I know all the reports list the culet as "none" - it is very bizzare. the dark speck i am talking about is a little above the culet area and seems almost like a small extension of an arrow, so maybe it has to do with a facet as someone else mentioned.

My boyfriend thinks I have lost it and has no idea what I am talking about... but i am a very detail oriented person. The thing is that I have been looking at this diamond for weeks now and i am just starting to notice this, so maybe i am overanalyzing or something, but it is driving me insane!

funny about the "ideal" haircut, haha I wish that were the case - ideal stone maybe, but far from ideal haircut.. woops didn''t mean to run my comments together like that haha
28.gif

Patty

Ideal_Rock
86_large

Is the dark spot that you are seeing anything like the little dark triangle in the white circle in the center of this stone? This is a 2 1/2 carat D, IF stone. I''m sure the dark triangle is a reflection.

My stones do not have a culet either. What I was talking about was the white circle that you see in the center of the stone above. When you move the diamond to different angles, the circle moves up and down proportionately.

I am probably just confusing things for you.
21.gif

TLS

Shiny_Rock
yah I see the dark arrows like that but one little part looks slightly different to me than the others, it is very minor, but annoying me now. It is kind of hard to explain and i don''t have it in front of me right now.

I wish i wasn''t computer illiterate and knew how to post a picture... I don''t think my digital camera is even good enough to take a detailed picture like that unfortunately
33.gif
I have one of those little cannon power shots and I am sure i need something much better to take those pictures that everyone posts... some day i hope to learn :)

TLS

Shiny_Rock
just wanted to say these little dark arrows in incandescent light had been driving me a little batty, so I snuck my diamond into work today (nobody knew, it''s not in a real setting yet so I didn''t want anyone to know) and i checked it out under those lovely lights at work and it blew me away... totally blew my socks off! the thing was dazzling and unbelievably sparkly and i no longer saw dark arrows but instead saw absolutely blinding light.

I was so excited, it really made me feel a lot better . I was getting nervous about the dark arrows that i had been seeing in the light at home with the ideal cut, but it finally proved itself to me again :)

Yeah!
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results