shape
carat
color
clarity

Expert Advice Needed: Relative Size of 2 Emeralds

cristano1

Rough_Rock
Say I compare the following 2 Emeralds:

1) 1.58 carat, 67.3 depth, 61.0 table, thin to thick girdle, LWH = 7.52 x 5.91 x 3.98
2) 1.69 carat, 65.6 depth, 65.0 table, med to slightly thick girdle, LWH = 7.38 x 6.27 x 4.11

My question is, will #2 look noticeably larger? If so, by approximately what percentage?

I've read that depth percentage (lower) table (higher) and girdle are 3 factors that determine relative size (to the naked eye) of 2 comparable diamonds. My real question is will a lower depth (65.6 vs 67.3) and higher table (65.0 vs 61.0) be noticeable, or are the values too close to warrant differentiation?

All else equal, the carat weight is 7.0% greater. The LxW is only 4.1% greater. If the diamond sizes will look approximately equal, then I will purchase #1, which is 2500 cheaper (same color, same clarity).

slg47

Ideal_Rock
have you seen both in person?

the shape selector tool might help...go to tools and it is the third one down.

cristano1

Rough_Rock
both are online at jamesallen.com; i found them thru pricescope. i havent seen either, i am just trying to determine how big of a factor the extra 2ish% in depth will be.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have links to the stone? Honestly, you should probably worry more about the faceting structure and how well the
stones are returning light. Have you requested ASET images for the stones? If you got um...post them. If not then
please request them and post. If you can give us links to the stones we can look at the faceting pattern and give you
our opinions.

Edit - I just read my post and it sounded kind of snooty. What I was trying to say is ...lets make sure that the light return is
good on both stones then you can pick the biggest one.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results