shape
carat
color
clarity

Experiences with Ceramic over Gold?

Skyjems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
With Thelma West's new piece getting rave reviews, I am sure to have people ask me for ceramic over gold even more.

Does anyone have experience with this medium? Does it chip/break/scratch easily?

I'm not an 'early adopter' on these things because I prefer to learn from others' mistakes before I have to learn from my own, but I think it's about that time...

Tartansparkles

Shiny_Rock
So I have to ask...what is ceramic over gold? As a hobby potter, my first thoughts are that the heat to fire the ceramics would melt the gold?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Like for jewellery? I have a black ceramic band somewhere I love wearing. I'm not particularly gentle and have worn it to do cardio in the gym on cardio only days. Last I saw it there were 0 scratches and it definitely didn't break. But I'm not someone who gardens or works a physical job so I couldn't say how it would hold up to someone doing work like that in it.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
My only experience with ceramic is with tennis rackets back in the day (80s...). By gum they withstood a beating...

My understanding of ceramic anything therefore is that they are super strong.

lilmosun

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you talking about e-coating with ceramic particles such as in this article?

Interesting...but why gold and not silver? Gold is so expensive, it seems like such a waste to cover it off :lol:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It might be fun to play with nail polishes on various silver settings to see what the wearer likes... I used to use some of the cheap nail polish fine-point pens to color in around broken enamel... why not play in a bigger way?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Taffin (James de givenchy) is famous for his ceramic on gold. There is nothing I would love more than to commission a ceramic setting for Marjorie! Omg can you imagine!

http://instagr.am/p/B8w-c6jnlTD/
I believe Scarlett Johansson’s E-ring is ceramic over gold Teffin, Plus big honking antique pearish oval diamond. Great looking!

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for sharing this. I think this might well be the right technique for the top of one of the rings I have in mind. I was wondering about the pros and cons of using black onyx vs black enamel but I think the ceramic over gold would possibly be better. I wonder if they can coat platinum with it?

Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Elizabeth Taylor's Diamond Heart
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping
    Tips for Black Friday Engagement Ring Shopping
    Get The Look: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel
    Get The Look: The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.