shape
carat
color
clarity

Experiences with Ceramic over Gold?

Skyjems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
With Thelma West's new piece getting rave reviews, I am sure to have people ask me for ceramic over gold even more.

Does anyone have experience with this medium? Does it chip/break/scratch easily?

I'm not an 'early adopter' on these things because I prefer to learn from others' mistakes before I have to learn from my own, but I think it's about that time...

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
So I have to ask...what is ceramic over gold? As a hobby potter, my first thoughts are that the heat to fire the ceramics would melt the gold?

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Like for jewellery? I have a black ceramic band somewhere I love wearing. I'm not particularly gentle and have worn it to do cardio in the gym on cardio only days. Last I saw it there were 0 scratches and it definitely didn't break. But I'm not someone who gardens or works a physical job so I couldn't say how it would hold up to someone doing work like that in it.

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
My only experience with ceramic is with tennis rackets back in the day (80s...). By gum they withstood a beating...

My understanding of ceramic anything therefore is that they are super strong.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
Ceramic over gold? Wouldn't that smash the softer gold? How does that even look? I can't envision this.....

Polyhex

Brilliant_Rock
I searched for her ceramic over gold rings and came up with this? 1603412464912.png

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you talking about e-coating with ceramic particles such as in this article?

Interesting...but why gold and not silver? Gold is so expensive, it seems like such a waste to cover it off :lol:

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
It might be fun to play with nail polishes on various silver settings to see what the wearer likes... I used to use some of the cheap nail polish fine-point pens to color in around broken enamel... why not play in a bigger way?

LightBright

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Taffin (James de givenchy) is famous for his ceramic on gold. There is nothing I would love more than to commission a ceramic setting for Marjorie! Omg can you imagine!

I believe Scarlett Johansson’s E-ring is ceramic over gold Teffin, Plus big honking antique pearish oval diamond. Great looking!

Yelena

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for sharing this. I think this might well be the right technique for the top of one of the rings I have in mind. I was wondering about the pros and cons of using black onyx vs black enamel but I think the ceramic over gold would possibly be better. I wonder if they can coat platinum with it?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results