shape
carat
color
clarity

Experience with J Color CBI?

bps413

Shiny_Rock
I found a J color CBI close to 2 ct but am hesitant to pull the trigger because I fear the color/tint may be noticeable at this size. Does anyone have a J CBI in the 1.5 - 2ct range that can tell me more about their experience? In what lighting do you typically see the warmth? Does the warmth bother you? The stone would be set in their New York Classic setting in platinum...

If you were to do it over again, would you go for a CBI that is slightly smaller (by 0.25mm) that is, say an G, H or I color instead?

As a side note: I'm familiar with CBIs and their outstanding reputation for being bright and sparkly. I imagine this will help mask some of the tint that could be observed. I'm also familiar with their upgrade policy but my SO is more sentimental so don't know that we would take advantage of it...perhaps for an anniversary down the road.

TripEx

Shiny_Rock
İ just seen videos a d they look amazing but quality of video wasnt best on youtube
Hbp diamonds channel

İd be interested as well

daisygrl

Brilliant_Rock
I found a J color CBI close to 2 ct but am hesitant to pull the trigger because I fear the color/tint may be noticeable at this size. Does anyone have a J CBI in the 1.5 - 2ct range that can tell me more about their experience? In what lighting do you typically see the warmth? Does the warmth bother you? The stone would be set in their New York Classic setting in platinum...

If you were to do it over again, would you go for a CBI that is slightly smaller (by 0.25mm) that is, say an G, H or I color instead?

As a side note: I'm familiar with CBIs and their outstanding reputation for being bright and sparkly. I imagine this will help mask some of the tint that could be observed. I'm also familiar with their upgrade policy but my SO is more sentimental so don't know that we would take advantage of it...perhaps for an anniversary down the road.

I have a CBI 2.13ct in H and am thinking of going bigger but in an I color. I color already makes me hesitant since the stone would be bigger, thus one could see the color easier. If I saw more visible tint in an I, I would choose to keep my smaller H. I would not switch a smaller H for a bigger I. On the other hand, there are people who would choose J-K colors in order to get the size they want. Color is a very personal choice. Regardless of who will look at the J stone, they will see the tint. The J might face up more ivory than white but will still sparkle like no tomorrow. The question is if the tint is going to bother the wearer.

Perhaps, you can have Wink compare J to I (similarly sized stones) and see for yourself how you feel about the color difference.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 2ct. J CBI and I am hoping to upgrade in the near future to a 3ct. J CBI. I don’t see any colour in the face up view of my J.

Rarely do I see any body colour in the side view. If I do see a slight hint of a tint, I have to be in certain lighting, closely scrutinise the diamond and see if I can pin point with my eyes a fleeting glimpse of a perceived tint.

Also had an AGS Ideal E, which I don’t regret trading in for the J.

I have the NY Classic setting in Platinum.

We are all different and colour is a personal preference. You have to happy with what you choose.

Good luck!

Reactions: caf

bps413

Shiny_Rock
Perhaps, you can have Wink compare J to I (similarly sized stones) and see for yourself how you feel about the color difference.

Thanks for the advice. While my SO doesn't seem to be very sensitive to color, she has mentioned before that she doesn't want a "yellow" diamond...which is probably why I'm being extra cautious. Your comment about getting comparison photos is exactly what I asked for. HPD seemed to really want me to do the SITBI program for this stone, but not yet being sold on a J color, I figured I'd just ask for photos at this point until I'm more comfortable putting money down. Your stone is beautiful by the way!

If I do see a slight hint of a tint, I have to be in certain lighting, closely scrutinise the diamond and see if I can pin point with my eyes a fleeting glimpse of a perceived tint.

What type of lighting do you typically see the tint? Direct sunlight? Outside? Indoors / shaded?

I have the NY Classic setting in Platinum.

This is exactly the setting I'm hoping to get - I think it is so stunning! How do you like yours? Do you feel it sits too high or just right?

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
It is not always easy to say which lighting a slight tint is discernable. I don’t have my rings on at the moment (doing some cleaning). I have walked around the house with my ring on for a few minutes, so far I have seen no tint by a window, in the bathroom and lounge (with no lights on). I don’t think I see any tint in sun light, or shade either. It is not easy to see any tint!

I love my New York Classic setting, it is very comfortable. My stone does not spin on my finger in this setting. For me, the height of the setting is perfect. I personally don’t like my settings too high as my hands are always busy. This is a personal choice for me. Many people like their settings on the higher side to show case their stones. I would be nervous if my stone’s setting was higher for fear of knocking it to be perfectly honest. The prong craftsmanship is fantastic (I am very picky) on my setting too!

I second Daisygrl’s advice about getting Wink to do comparison pics between an I and a J, especially if you are not sure.

Wishing you the best of luck!

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ask Wink to do comparison videos too. His talking points during them are the best!

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
It is not always easy to say which lighting a slight tint is discernable. I don’t have my rings on at the moment (doing some cleaning). I have walked around the house with my ring on for a few minutes, so far I have seen no tint by a window, in the bathroom and lounge (with no lights on). I don’t think I see any tint in sun light, or shade either. It is not easy to see any tint!

I love my New York Classic setting, it is very comfortable. My stone does not spin on my finger in this setting. For me, the height of the setting is perfect. I personally don’t like my settings too high as my hands are always busy. This is a personal choice for me. Many people like their settings on the higher side to show case their stones. I would be nervous if my stone’s setting was higher for fear of knocking it to be perfectly honest. The prong craftsmanship is fantastic (I am very picky) on my setting too!

I second Daisygrl’s advice about getting Wink to do comparison pics between an I and a J, especially if you are not sure.

Wishing you the best of luck!

Another thought.....within colour there is a high (nearer an I) or a lower colour (nearer a K), or somewhere in the middle when comparing colour between an I and a J. It may help you if you can find out where the colour J is that you are looking at.

Mavimaui

Rough_Rock
They also have the see it to believe program, they will send it to you for free for your evaluation... if that’s the only stone at HPD you are considering, I would recommend going that route.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would just ask what she considers "yellow". Have you shopped at Tiffany? Can you guys go in there are have her try a few, so see what she considers "yellow"? There are definitely lots of people who aren't super color sensitive and some that may be more so. So having a frame of reference really helps.

bps413

Shiny_Rock

This is reassuring. I think they have one of the best Tiffany-style solitaires out there...although I've yet to see it in person, every picture I've seen on PS of that setting is just wow! :-o I'm glad you love it - medium set it likely what I would ask for (which seems to be their standard)...not too low, not too high! Please post pictures of your ring! Would love to see it!

It may help you if you can find out where the colour J is that you are looking at.

Melissa sent me a video of the stone. Let me figure out how to post it here...very white from the top view (as expected) but can definitely discern tinting from the side view.

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
This is reassuring. I think they have one of the best Tiffany-style solitaires out there...although I've yet to see it in person, every picture I've seen on PS of that setting is just wow! :-o I'm glad you love it - medium set it likely what I would ask for (which seems to be their standard)...not too low, not too high! Please post pictures of your ring! Would love to see it!

Melissa sent me a video of the stone. Let me figure out how to post it here...very white from the top view (as expected) but can definitely discern tinting from the side view. 687F5327-9D78-4878-A61A-F2A60711F355.jpeg

I found a side view of my stone before it was set.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Check out this thread for color differences in different lighting!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/real-life-color-comparisons—show-me-yours.260450/

chamois

Brilliant_Rock
653B612A-CE35-4D1C-B786-96675152ECB9.jpeg

Attachments

• 60C62462-0A04-480C-852D-90F3B6CEF142.jpeg
    60C62462-0A04-480C-852D-90F3B6CEF142.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 12F1DF4A-1376-44DC-825E-0C842953FBA3.jpeg
    12F1DF4A-1376-44DC-825E-0C842953FBA3.jpeg
    271.6 KB · Views: 127

bps413

Shiny_Rock
Melissa sent me a video of the stone. Let me figure out how to post it here

Here is a link to the stone. The J is on the far right, the other stones are I’s.

Check out this thread for color differences in different lighting!

You are a lifesaver! I’ll check this thread out this evening, thanks so much!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results