shape
carat
color
clarity

Expensive foods that are worth every penny...what do you indulge in?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I try to buy only organic local meat, and buy duck eggs from a local guy who drives into town once he has enough orders, and I buy unpasteurised milk and butter.

But my main splurge is on truffles... oil, salt, grated, mixed with brie, veined in pecorino, on crisps/chips... if it's an ingredient I will buy it.

What rums are your favourite? I only coped with lockdown because I knew we had a good stash of rums and stouts. I am partial to zacapa xo, and the Nicaraguan Rum flor de caña, anything over their 12 is good. I lived there for a year back in 2006 and the price used to be 21 usd for their top tier 25 year old. It has shot up in price since then. FB_IMG_1596471921139.jpg
If you ever come across this cheese, get it! I think it’s the most expensive cheese I’ve ever had, but it is damn delicious.
88EA7174-9E96-45CF-8F16-B6EDFD5CA22D.jpeg

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
We love these foods but I don't know when I would place my next order: Chilean sea bass, Louisiana live crawfish, live oysters, live lobsters, lobster tails, live crabs and crab meat, soft shell crabs, caviar, salmon ikura, Copper river King salmon. I also used to order wagyu beef, Mangalitsa pork, black pig bacon (Black Pig Meat Co.). Iberico jamon is yummy too. That was before our first grandbaby was born. I want to try other kinds of seafood like wild Spanish carabinero shrimp:lickout:...We continue to buy trays of salmon ikura but nothing else :(

rungirl

Shiny_Rock
It's just a small farm, 32 acres, and the majority is wooded. The bee yard is planted in clover and a lot of the honey comes from the tulip poplars in the woods.

That's awesome that you keep bees and harvest your own honey. It was just a few years ago that I learned that a honey's taste will vary depending on what the bees have been feeding on. I suppose it should have been obvious, but I had never really considered it before.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's awesome that you keep bees and harvest your own honey. It was just a few years ago that I learned that a honey's taste will vary depending on what the bees have been feeding on. I suppose it should have been obvious, but I had never really considered it before.

That's why it's a good idea to eat honey grown in your state. If you have seasonal allergies it's a way to become desensitized to what grows in your area.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We love these foods but I don't know when I would place my next order: Chilean sea bass, Louisiana live crawfish, live oysters, live lobsters, lobster tails, live crabs and crab meat, soft shell crabs, caviar, salmon ikura, Copper river King salmon. I also used to order wagyu beef, Mangalitsa pork, black pig bacon (Black Pig Meat Co.). Iberico jamon is yummy too. That was before our first grandbaby was born. I want to try other kinds of seafood like wild Spanish carabinero shrimp:lickout:...We continue to buy trays of salmon ikura but nothing else :(
I see you’re a seafood lover! Have you tried percebes? Pretty hard to find here in the States, but absolutely delicious!

I got into honey a few years back, and absolutely fell in love with the flavor of tupelo honey. It’s got a beautiful floral taste and it never crystallizes.

I bought an inexpensive bottle from an Etsy seller, and also this crazy expensive one. I can definitely taste the difference; this is fantastic stuff. I really should try their more inexpensive version.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If there’s one thing my parents taught me from a young age, it’s to be a big spender on food. It’s the one thing they never scold me about spending too much money on!

Same! My mom was frugal but not when it came to our health and making sure she bought good food for us. And as much as she occasionally criticizes me for spending (too much in her opinion) money on certain things she never once criticizes me for spending too much on food. So there you go. Of course she is a typical Jewish momma/grandmother when it comes to food and food equals love in the Jewish religion and in many other faiths and ethnicities too. I know Italian mommas are very similar re food.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
foodbindsus.jpg

cookingislove.jpg

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
fresh white truffles
spring ramps
rainier cherries
North east coast oysters
head-on langoustine
tiny nantucket bay scallops
foie gra
Basque pickled peppers
sea barnacles
razor calms
steamer clams
Red and spotted prawns

1/2 of the things arent that expensive but hard to locate and seasonal.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried percebes?

Never heard of such a thing but after googling and seeing images I remember watching people harvesting them (on Cook channel). Andrew Zimmern's program, before we got rid of TV:mrgreen:. Just didn't pay attention to the name of the creatures they were hunting for :D Thank you, I will place them on my wish list!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Wild fish. Having difficulty finding good stuff these days.

cheers--Sharon

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same! My mom was frugal but not when it came to our health and making sure she bought good food for us. And as much as she occasionally criticizes me for spending (too much in her opinion) money on certain things she never once criticizes me for spending too much on food. So there you go. Of course she is a typical Jewish momma/grandmother when it comes to food and food equals love in the Jewish religion and in many other faiths and ethnicities too. I know Italian mommas are very similar re food.
Yep, food=love in Chinese culture!

fresh white truffles
spring ramps
rainier cherries
North east coast oysters
head-on langoustine
tiny nantucket bay scallops
foie gra
Basque pickled peppers
sea barnacles
razor calms
steamer clams
Red and spotted prawns

1/2 of the things arent that expensive but hard to locate and seasonal.
I’m so sad I missed out on ramps this year. I love them! It’s been a long time since I’ve had live prawns too. They’re so good when they’re loaded with roe!

Never heard of such a thing but after googling and seeing images I remember watching people harvesting them (on Cook channel). Andrew Zimmern's program, before we got rid of TV:mrgreen:. Just didn't pay attention to the name of the creatures they were hunting for :D Thank you, I will place them on my wish list!
They are so strange-looking, but delicious! Their taste is unlike anything else.

HI:

Wild fish. Having difficulty finding good stuff these days.

cheers--Sharon
My dad feels your pain. He usually goes straight to the fish counter, and if he doesn’t see any fish he likes, he’ll tell us there was no food at the market. He’s so dramatic. :lol:

Musia

Brilliant_Rock
@JPie I am very thankful you mentioned percebes. Now I am pretty sure I saw them during "negative" tides (like -2ft) and under relatively calm conditions of the Ocean here in Northern California while searching rocks on the shore. I am now very excited to go and look for them by myself.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie I am very thankful you mentioned percebes. Now I am pretty sure I saw them during "negative" tides (like -2ft) and under relatively calm conditions of the Ocean here in Northern California while searching rocks on the shore. I am now very excited to go and look for them by myself.

Ooh, please let me know if you find some! And be careful!

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock
“They’re so good when they’re loaded with roe!” Hell yeah! :cheeky:

Blue crabs could be great too!

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you be comfortable sharing the site? I’d love to try some! Totally understand if not.

We don't have the site set up yet, (we just did the harvest last week) but here is my email if you are interested. I can send you the pricing and the types of honey. We also have honey from our hives at our house in Georgia.

[email protected]

Mods, I'm not trying to advertise here, just answering a question. If this post is objectionable feel free to remove it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have beehives and just did a honey harvest. My husband actually won a prize for his dark honey last year. It's how we make our farm assessment.

@doberman that is so cool!

Cristallo

Shiny_Rock
-Matcha from my favourite shop in Kyoto
-Organic honey from Sweden
-Chocolate from Debauve & Gallais
- Italian buffalo mozzarella
-Parmigiano-Reggiano
-Densuke watermelon

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My dad feels your pain. He usually goes straight to the fish counter, and if he doesn’t see any fish he likes, he’ll tell us there was no food at the market. He’s so dramatic. :lol:
[/QUOTE]

Our supply chain has been messed up with the pandemic. Normally we have lovely supplies of wild BC fish, but now challenging. I did see some fresh wild salmon the other day, $68 bucks a kilo.:((

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
“They’re so good when they’re loaded with roe!” Hell yeah! :cheeky:

Blue crabs could be great too!
Just imagine the damage we'd do if we had a meetup at a Chinese seafood restaurant! I suggested it for Christmas dinner one year, and my friend had never had live prawns with roe. I'm like, how are you Chinese, dude?! I'm pretty sure it rocked his world, 'cause he ate a bunch!

I love blue crabs! Eating them feels like putting in a full day at work. :lol:

We don't have the site set up yet, (we just did the harvest last week) but here is my email if you are interested. I can send you the pricing and the types of honey. We also have honey from our hives at our house in Georgia.

[email protected]

Mods, I'm not trying to advertise here, just answering a question. If this post is objectionable feel free to remove it!
Thank you! Will send you an email shortly.

-Matcha from my favourite shop in Kyoto
-Organic honey from Sweden
-Chocolate from Debauve & Gallais
- Italian buffalo mozzarella
-Parmigiano-Reggiano
-Densuke watermelon
YESSSSSSSS to all of it! I make a point of always having Parmesan on hand. It makes such a difference to use freshly grated cheese instead of the pre-grated stuff!

Our supply chain has been messed up with the pandemic. Normally we have lovely supplies of wild BC fish, but now challenging. I did see some fresh wild salmon the other day, $68 bucks a kilo.:((
Yikes, I hope it gets sorted out soon!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baklava - I can monster a couple of lb a week on holiday :lol:

Also Cranachan :drool: :

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I like Lox. Costco has a good price, so not very expensive. But my understanding is that smoked foods are not healthy for you. I love cheeses-all kinds. So I do buy what I like.

What an interesting topic. I'm learning.

Annette

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Baklava - I can monster a couple of lb a week on holiday :lol:

Also Cranachan :drool: :

Never tried Cranachan before! Looks tasty.

Hi,

I like Lox. Costco has a good price, so not very expensive. But my understanding is that smoked foods are not healthy for you. I love cheeses-all kinds. So I do buy what I like.

What an interesting topic. I'm learning.

Annette
I like lox too. I think as long as it’s in moderation, it should be fine.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never tried Cranachan before! Looks tasty.

It is NICE - it's like a mix of indulgent porridge and a fruit crumble :D lol

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general, I always try to buy local.

High-quality foods I'm willing to spend on:

Uni
Pasture-raised eggs
Grass-fed beef
Grass-fed cow's milk
Organic produce
Artisan chocolate
FINE CHEESES! yum!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nah, it won't kill you. I wouldn't trash it either.

My gramps got Alzheimer's in his 70s, and it was extremely sad to see his mind slip. At one point he went outside and forgot the way home, wandered outside the city on foot and lay down on the road because he had given up. He had to be constantly watched after that so he didn't wander away again.

That's so sad about your gramps
Its a very unfair disease

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results