carat
color
clarity

Everyday porcelain dishes made in USA

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Really?
I haven't noticed that Corelle heats up more than bowls or plates of other materials in the MW.
Are you sure it's not just the food transferring its heat to the plate?
This will happen with any plate.

It doesn't happen with my Royal Doulton.

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Corelle for me too. Cuz I can lift the whole stack into the cupboard. Hubby loves stoneware (ironware?). I'm like no. A) It's brown (think that 70s show) and B) I can't lift it. He calls them the "fancy" dishes. I think the corelle are fancy cuz they're more like China (but don't break/chip)

Sorry, no help for your dilemma. :roll

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I worked in Macy's for years selling homegoods. I prefer stoneware since it can go in the oven (I own a lot of noritake and denby) for but porcelain I have villeroy. If you don't want to burn your hands taking something hot out of the microwave put another plate underneath. That plate won't get hot. I have never chipped any of the stoneware although we have broken a few over the years. The nice thing about the higher end brands is that they don't really discontinue lines so you can almost always replace pieces down the line.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone. I haven't made any decisions, but ia did microwave one of the bowls I bought and the bowl stayed cool, so I'm thinking about taking my chances with the rest of the set.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks, everyone. I haven't made any decisions, but ia did microwave one of the bowls I bought and the bowl stayed cool, so I'm thinking about taking my chances with the rest of the set.

I hope there was also some food/water in another container during your test.
Owner's manuals state running a MW with no food/water inside can damage the MW.

The thing that makes the microwave energy is the magnetron tube.
If that energy is not absorbed by something (something with water) it will reflect back into the tube and damage it.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It was spagetti and meatballs :D

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I admittedly jumped on the Fiestaware bandwagon, it won't be everyone's asthetic but I do love the fun colors. But its amazingly great stuff and I use daily, can go from oven to dinner table without missing a beat, and after the last couple of years of daily use, still looks new. I got the sets on sale at Macy's, then went through ebates which at the time was 12% cashback (and use cashback CC...) It covered sales tax, which is what I was wanting...lol

Might be microwave dependent, this house has a high powered one; bowls can come out really hot. I have to be careful what I put in there...lol But I find that if I use a saucer under the bowl , the saucer is totally touchable, the bowl is still hotter than hell though.

I LOVE my Fiestaware! I have Kelly green, yellow and a pretty peacock blue color for all my plates and bowls. They are durable as well, have dropped them from counter height and not even a chip.

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought some Corelle from amazon for our new 5th wheel trailer. It is all white with a swirly embossed pattern around the rim. We have had the plain white dishes in our other two trailers and with lots of people and hand washing them every freaking day we have never had a crack or chip. Of course, that is only a few weeks out of every year but we have had them for probably at least 20 years.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just bought some Corelle from amazon for our new 5th wheel trailer. It is all white with a swirly embossed pattern around the rim. We have had the plain white dishes in our other two trailers and with lots of people and hand washing them every freaking day we have never had a crack or chip. Of course, that is only a few weeks out of every year but we have had them for probably at least 20 years.
My parents handwashing Corelle never had a crack or a chip either.

I actually have 4 square white bread and butter plates with the swirl pattern. It's beautiful! My original set never came with bread and butter plates. How is a girl to eat her chocolate croissants then?

I went to Homegoods today and I felt the weight of bone China and it's nice and light! @Asscherhalo_lover I thought of you when I saw villeroy and B... something plates lol. They were white and sturdy but heavier than I liked. Then I spotted this Mikasa pattern on bone china and I ended up getting one of each - the bowl, salad plate and dinner plate. My friend asked me what my guests would eat on - Corelle! Bahahahahaha! I love that this pattern is multicolor and floral and cheerful. It will be easy to find more bone china to match colorwise. I want 4 sets of mismatched but kinda matchy plates lol. Eclectic chic!
https://media.kohlsimg.com/is/image/kohls/3017770?wid=1000&hei=1000&op_sharpen=1

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PintoBean good quality porcelain will always be on the heavier side. When it comes down to it bone china (without metal) really is best for daily use. It has amazing strength while being very light weight. I chose stoneware though because I do like to heat things up in the oven right on the plate. You just have to pick what's best for you.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:Up_to_something:
Then I spotted this Mikasa pattern on bone china and I ended up getting one of each - the bowl, salad plate and dinner plate. My friend asked me what my guests would eat on - Corelle! Bahahahahaha! I love that this pattern is multicolor and floral and cheerful. It will be easy to find more bone china to match colorwise. I want 4 sets of mismatched but kinda matchy plates lol. Eclectic chic!
https://media.kohlsimg.com/is/image/kohls/3017770?wid=1000&hei=1000&op_sharpen=1

Pinto, that's a lovely pattern! I actually have a few single place or dessert settings (mug and salad plate or bowl) just for me… Lenox Chirp and Winter Song come to mind. I love having a few different patterns to choose from! I might have to add a setting in the pattern you posted. :Up_to_something: Marshall's etc. is a great place to look for China if you're not looking for a whole table's worth!

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Items crossed off To-Do List: 0

China patterns viewed on internet: Countless

:mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results