carat
color
clarity

Everyday porcelain dishes made in USA

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
(Or not made in China)

Does anyone have any recommendations? My royal doulton Carmina are worn out and sparse now and it is time to replace, I bought Sophie Conran Celadon bowls by Portmeirion but realized after they shipped that they are made in china. I like the bowls, but am always suspicious of anything made in China.

Thanks.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE my Corelle Livingware.
I've used it daily over 40 years, and it still looks like new.
The pure white (Winter Frost White) "pattern" will never look dated.

Warning: Compared to stoneware or china Corelle is very chip and break resistant.
However, if you drop it into a cast-iron sink, or onto a tile floor, it shatters/explodes into a zillion long and terrifying razor-sharp pieces.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I'm so picky. I want porcelain, not stonewear. No corelle!!! No gilded rims. Has to be microwave and dishwasher safe. I don't want a set because I don't want mugs and now I don't need bowls lol.

So I am looking for dinner and salad plates, but don't want to pay $40 a plate because I want 8 of them... unless I get desperate.

Lenox is too antiquey looking... or it has gilded rims, etc...

Looking at VB next...

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I LOVE my Corelle Livingware.
I've used it daily over 40 years, and it still looks like new.
The pure white (Winter Frost White) "pattern" will never look dated.

Warning: Compared to stoneware or china Corelle is very chip and break resistant.
However, if you drop it into a cast-iron sink, or onto a tile floor, it shatters/explodes into a zillion long and terrifying razor-sharp pieces.

It gets hot in the microwave, which is why I don't like it. I don't microwave a lot, but when I do, I don't want it to singe my hands.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It gets hot in the microwave, which is why I don't like it. I don't microwave a lot, but when I do, I don't want it to singe my hands.

Really?
I haven't noticed that Corelle heats up more than bowls or plates of other materials in the MW.
Are you sure it's not just the food transferring its heat to the plate?
This will happen with any plate.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I admittedly jumped on the Fiestaware bandwagon, it won't be everyone's asthetic but I do love the fun colors. But its amazingly great stuff and I use daily, can go from oven to dinner table without missing a beat, and after the last couple of years of daily use, still looks new. I got the sets on sale at Macy's, then went through ebates which at the time was 12% cashback (and use cashback CC...) It covered sales tax, which is what I was wanting...lol

Might be microwave dependent, this house has a high powered one; bowls can come out really hot. I have to be careful what I put in there...lol But I find that if I use a saucer under the bowl , the saucer is totally touchable, the bowl is still hotter than hell though.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Apilco is made in France and Williams-Sonoma sells open stock.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have Villeroy & Boch. When I put them in the microwave, they get hot.
I think, as mentioned, that the heat from the food transfers to the container (plate, bowl, whatever).

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Suggested test:

Put two identical small bowls in microwave, one empty and the other full of water.
Bring water to a boil.
Touch both.

The full one will burn you but the empty one won't.
The boiling water will heat up the interior of the MW a bit so the empty bowl will be a bit warm too.

MW ovens work by generating energy that is the exactly frequency that makes H2O molecules vibrate, water's resonate frequency if you will, 2,450 MHz.
MWs can't heat up things that have no water in them.

I don't think the composition of the container affects how hot it gets as a direct result of this energy.
It's the food that is heating up the container.

Of course some container materials are better conductors of heat than others.
For instance a paper plate under a pizza slice won't retain as much heat as a porcelain plate.

Perhaps this would vary and Correlle is a better heat conductor than other plate materials.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some of Fish Eddy's collections - like the color bands and blue plate special collections - are made in the USA. http://www.fishseddy.com/dinnerware-146/color-bands

BTW I have quite a few Buffalo China bowls and salad plates that I bought, used, at a restaurant supply store. They were used pretty much exclusively for dry and wet cat food, respectively. Wonderful, virtually indestructible stuff - but I imagine it's hard to find these days since the company is now defunct.

Last edited:

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought Wedgwood plain white bone china dinner plates and salad plates x 12. Best decision ever. They go with everything, are dishwasher and microwave safe and are nice and lightweight.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I'd second Lyra's suggestion. Bone china is lightweight, surprisingly durable, and takes up far less space than stoneware or other kinds of china.

t-c

Brilliant_Rock
I have the Wedgwood classic white bone china also and have been using them for over 20 years. They used to be made in England (mine are) but moved production to Thailand. I bought a couple of replacement dessert plates recently and found them comparable — maybe slightly thicker.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually, I'd second Lyra's suggestion. Bone china is lightweight, surprisingly durable, and takes up far less space than stoneware or other kinds of china.

Hey my Mom has several sets...were were just talking about what to do with it! Want some?

That said WW--go to your local consignment or Antique shop and buy bone china. It goes for nothing here...people just don't see the utility of it. (mind you much is guilded....)

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ha! I have two sets of Villeroy and Boch (plus my formal bone china and my mother's!)! I have always loved that company because their line is more casual than formal china but can be used for almost anything! I will say that I also have solid white Corelle and love that, too! lol!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another Corelle lover here, which I use every single day.

I have special dessert plates I bring out (several different sets, china, porcelain, etc.) for different holidays/occasions.

Corelle for all other purposes (except coffee cups ... I use larger, heavier, sturdy china coffee mugs).

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like @canuk-gal s idea about thrift stores. But I like reusing old things. Too much fine china sits in cabinets unused. Why ever for? I have a set for 12 of Noritake from my great aunt and recently decided to use them rather than store them.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tangent here: I sold all of my "fancy" china. I used to have 3 or 4 sets. My kids didn't want it and I got rid of my china cabinet. I do store my mom's old WW set because I can't bear to use it or sell it. I use the newer plain white WW for everything now. And an aside for Kenny, I also use some open stock white Corelle bowls. They are perfect. I also bought Corelle serving bowls because I don't use serving bowls often, but they match the WW just fine.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! We will only fight over who gets to wear which diamonds!

Uh Oh.
I've seen the beautiful honkers that you gots.

Maybe we'll have to call off the wedding. :cry2:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 5.48.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-11-18 at 5.48.58 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 104

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uh Oh.
I've seen the beautiful honkers that you gots.

Maybe we'll have to call off the wedding. :cry2:

Thank you, Kenny! I was thinking more about whether you'd let me set some of the colored diamonds! :love: :lol:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also get openstock Corelle from Corningware stores. I needed extra bowls for the cats lol. They use one a day for food and then I soak them and rinse them before placing them in the dishwasher. I'm very short so the plates need to be light when I'm on tip toes reaching for them :oops:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for WW. I also like Corelle... just get more use out of WW.

rainydaze

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love fine bone china. Lightweight, easy to store, feels nice and continues to look great year after year. I usually get it at Home Goods where I can mix and match what I need, and the prices are low. However, it's less reliable in terms of hitting it when they have stock that's not made in China. I stock up on simple, plain white dinnerware so that I can dress it up or down accordingly with placemats, napkins, holders, placeholders, table runner... you get the idea.

My plates have a wide rim, then dip into the main area where food goes. That rim doesn't get too hot when microwaving. Bowls I have to grab by the tip of the rim or use a potholder. Putting the on a plate while microwaving is a good idea.

I love finding serving bowls and accent pieces at the local consignment and antique stores.

(I love Correlle for backup, too. Great for the kids, especially!)

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another Wedgwood fan here!

As mentioned aboved, I have Villeroy & Boch (as my everyday, kitchen set).
However, my dining room set is Wedgwood. Purchased in 1982 (before some of you were born!), now discontinued, but still love the simple, elegant, goes with everything design; Silver Ermine, a subtle floral (slightly raised to produce the pattern, so no difference in colour; not painted) with a platinum rim. However, not dishwasher safe because of the (beautiful!) platinum rim. Love the look and feel of these dishes.

december-fire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also get openstock Corelle from Corningware stores. I needed extra bowls for the cats lol. They use one a day for food and then I soak them and rinse them before placing them in the dishwasher. I'm very short so the plates need to be light when I'm on tip toes reaching for them :oops:

:eek-2:

Back when I was 20, a colleague of about the same age was talking about how much housework she had (married, no children or pets, both worked Mon-Fri 9-5 type jobs; how much mess could they have?). She said she washed her towels after each use. What!?!? Uh, no. Your hands are clean when you dry them, right? Why would you wash the towels after one use!

My cats and dogs never had their food or water dishes soaked, rinsed and put in the dishwasher after each day!

Sorry for the threadjack.

Sorry for being a slob. Until now, I thought I was a bit of a nut about avoiding germs.
:mrgreen2:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek-2:

Back when I was 20, a colleague of about the same age was talking about how much housework she had (married, no children or pets, both worked Mon-Fri 9-5 type jobs; how much mess could they have?). She said she washed her towels after each use. What!?!? Uh, no. Your hands are clean when you dry them, right? Why would you wash the towels after one use!

My cats and dogs never had their food or water dishes soaked, rinsed and put in the dishwasher after each day!

Sorry for the threadjack.

Sorry for being a slob. Until now, I thought I was a bit of a nut about avoiding germs.
:mrgreen2:
the funny thing is if I use a plate for something dry like toast I'll use it again and again without thinking bahahha.

My cats can't free feed bc they'd eat until they burst so twice a day I feed them - wet and dry in the AM and wet, dry, a spoonful of yogurt and some wheatgrass cut in in the PM. The stuck on food is gross lololol.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results