shape
carat
color
clarity

European cut, transitional cut or modern brilliant?

JCM1121

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring and wedding band are a family heirloom. It belonged to my husband's grandmother. I don't know how many carats it is or the cut of the diamond. All I know is that it is platinum. I was hoping someone could tell me what the cut of this diamond is and the approximate carat weight. I wear a size 7-8 ring. I hope this information helps. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

_2520.jpeg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just offhand it looks like this could be an OEC or transitional cut - I think I see a very small culet and some fat facets. But, it would be very helpful to have a better photo to work from. Here are some hints on how to take better pics - the second page includes some tips for taking pix with cell phones: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-to-take-good-photos-of-your-diamonds.102989/

Also - it would help if you could give some approximate timeframes as to when your grandmother might have received this ring. (I'm guessing ring I was given that originally belonged to my grandmother is somewhat older than your grandmother's ring - though of course I could be wrong!)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Need better pictures.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it could be any of the three. Can't tell from that picture. I have a diamond that was from my great-grandmother, but it was bought later in her life (like maybe in the 1960's), so it was a modern round brilliant.

JCM1121

Rough_Rock
Hi All! Sorry for taking so long to respond. I have a newborn :). I've attached a couple more pictures. Hopefully these are better? Let me know :)

_2528.jpeg

_2529.jpeg

JCM1121

Rough_Rock
Here are a couple more pics from the side and back. It's not like a solitaire and has a pretty low profile. It seems to be cut pretty deep to me but I'm not sure if that is typical of the OEC or transitional cuts. Also not sure if those cuts "look" their weight or not. Hopefully someone can help. I go back and forth between 1.5 carats and 2 carats but I'm definitely no expert. I tried to measure the mm as best I could and got 8 mm but not even sure if I did it right. Need some expertise on this :). Thanks again!

_2531.jpeg

_2532.jpeg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The art deco setting (assuming it's original) would suggest transitional or newer - emphasis on "suggest."

If you're wearing this ring now, I'd suggest you take it in to a good jeweler to get it cleaned and to get the prongs checked. A knowledgeable jeweler would be able to identify the cut for you and give you a rough guess on the size as well, and most would be happy to provide this information at no cost. You might also consider getting the ring insure, which would require getting an independent appraisal.

JCM1121

Rough_Rock
Thanks for replying :). I asked my mother in law when her parents got married but she wasn't sure. She was born in 1956 so I would imagine the ring was purchased around that time or earlier. The setting is original. I never changed it. That's a good idea. I was just hoping I didn't have to go through the hassle. Thank you for all your help :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Look like my MIL's. She called it a spray cut. It's an early MRB, I don't think it's a transitional.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results