shape
carat
color
clarity

Etiquette question about invitation wording!!?

Octavia

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2010 4:02:52 PM
Author: Delster
Date: 6/12/2010 3:52:03 PM

Author: Octavia

Date: 6/12/2010 2:29:37 PM

Author: Delster

I thought I heard somewhere that for a woman you don't put 'Dr' or 'Professor' or any other professional title on an invitation. The reason I read at the time was that while a man is defined by his professional status, a woman is defined by her marital status - so for the purposes of social correspondence, is irrelevant.

It stuck in my craw when I read it so I remembered it!

I would defer to the individual woman's personal preference. For myself, that's 'Ms' as I don't like being defined by my marital status.

This probably was the old rule, but I dare you to address a female judge as 'Mrs' instead of 'The Honorable' (or whatever the equivalent title is in Ireland) and see what happens.
2.gif
23.gif

LOL
9.gif

Actually none of these rules are followed over here... we're very lax about etiquette stuff like this!

ETA - if anyone is curious, here's how it would go - on paper a lady judge would be 'Ms Justice Octavia'/'Miss Justice Octavia'/'Mrs Justice Octavia' (defer to her preference); in conversation she'd be 'Judge Octavia'; and in court she'd be 'Judge'. No 'Dr' or 'Prof' or anything like that, even if she's earned it academically, as the legal profession here don't use them
1.gif

I can't lie, I REALLY REALLY LOVE the sound of that!
9.gif
11.gif
Thank you for telling how it's done, I always think it's fascinating to learn how things work elsewhere! Here, a lot depends on how formal you're being -- in a "work" setting, it's usually more appropriate to err on the side of formality unless you're before the judge frequently and know them fairly well ("Good day, Your Honor, I see you have the motion I filed last week"), but in a social setting you could be a little less formal, especially if you're already acquainted with each other ("Oh, hello, Judge Delster! So nice to see you again"). When writing directly, whether for work or social reasons, it's always The Honorable Delster. And the rest of us don't use any special titles based on academic achievement, either -- I'm Ms. Octavia in all respects, except that once I (fingers crossed) pass the bar, it would be permissible for me to put Octavia, Esquire/Esq. (but never Ms. Octavia, Esq.!) on stationery headings or business cards, but one is never supposed to actually refer to oneself as Esq. or use it in social settings. We lawyers do love to make things complicated!

kagordo4

Shiny_Rock
In Florida CLM was legal until last year (maybe the year before), when the state voted "no" on proposition 2. So all the old couples that were living together as a married couple (i.e. they had lived together for many years, sometimes 30+) are no longer considered married. They lost all their benefits too, it's actually a very sad thing to see.

ETA: Sorry i'm sort of late on this, and I totally forgot to quote the response to someone...
33.gif
sorry : ) But I thought it was interesting... and would have been relevent if I remembered to quote the post : )

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results