shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity Band Question (40 vs 50 pointers)

NBSC

Rough_Rock
We are looking at purchasing a larger round eternity band (0.4 to 0.5 ct per stone) for my 4.75 finger.
I am being discouraged from going bigger than 0.4 because of concerns that the ring won't be comfortable.
Does anyone have experience with this? Does anyone have pictures of similar sized bands? It is difficult to try things on because of COVID.
Thanks!

NBSC

Rough_Rock
Also,
Is there a point in spending a little bit extra for GIA certificates for each diamond?
What quality diamonds would you suggest for this size?
Thanks!

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
.40’s on a size 4.75 is pretty big. Recently I got a five stone with .44/.45ct each. My left hand is 4.75 and right is 5.75. I went with a fivestone because I found any more than five diamonds to be uncomfortable. I did consider an eternity with thirds, which was ok on my right hand.

Mine are certified Gia/ags and d/e vssi.

Last edited:

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would suggest a 5 stone too. With your tiny fingers, you will get the edge to edge coverage without the discomfort from the diamond heights between the fingers.

rocks

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The image below is my fivestone on my 4.75 finger with my threestone (1.75 center and .63/.64 sides 840C594D-E3A6-47A2-882A-98BA577002D5.jpeg 840C594D-E3A6-47A2-882A-98BA577002D5.jpeg

Big Fat Facets

Brilliant_Rock
I have a 5 stone of 23 or so pointer. And i have to tell you when that ring inevitably turned and the diamonds were between the fingers. It was extremely uncomfortable. I can imagine that 40-50 pointers as an eternity would be rather uncomfy.

as for certed stones or not. I know the popular answer is not to bother with certs because not only does it add to the cost of the finished diamond band ring but also at that size, it is unnecessary ...

BUT personally, im not entirely convinced.... so i dont have a clean and formed opinion to offer you in that regard.

I think it’s a very personal question. I have slightly splayed out fingers naturally and find it uncomfortable to make my middle and ring fingers touch all the time (actually I don’t know if this is normal or not, I’ve never thought about it before, do people’s fingers naturally touch together on the sides all the time when at rest?). So I can wear pretty much anything on my individual fingers but struggle to wear two finger rings. I have a pretty average size finger (bigger than yours, around 5.75-6). I do have an acquaintance who has a super blingy eternity ring (like 0.6s or 0.7s I think) on a very tiny finger (must be like a size 3 or 4) and she doesn’t find it uncomfortable at all, but my mom is quite sensitive to the feeling of anything between her fingers so she can’t wear an eternity at all. You’ll have to try them and see. I also think the shape of diamond you choose will have an effect.

In terms of certification, you have to see what you’re comfortable with. I’d be fine with uncerted from a very trustworthy jeweler but others wouldn’t. I would want to stick to face up white (targeting G-H uncerted or I-J certed) and eye clean (SI).

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a five stone band with .40 diamonds by Memoire. It gives finger to finger coverage and never turns. I personally would never consider an eternity with stones that big though because it would be uncomfortable between the fingers. Memoire bands are very low set for comfort but even at that, if I turn the ring so that the diamonds are between two fingers, it isn’t comfortable. If it is not comfortable then it doesn’t get worn as much.
Are you able to go to Tiffany and try on their Embrace bands? They are shared prong rings and fairly low set as well. Might give you a better idea of what your preferences are going to be.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
See if you can find a cheap/fake eternity with bigger stones you can test out.

This would have worked for .5 stones but the smallest size it comes in is a 5.

Q

Queenie60

IMG_0445.JPG

My left hand ring finger is a 4.75; this is my 3/4 eternity band with 10- 1/2 carat OEC's. It was a bit bulky at first however, I have become used to the weight and width of the ring. Ring made by CVB

ls430FL

Rough_Rock
I know COVID may make it difficult to try on depending on where you live but I strongly suggest you try it on before committing. A 40 or 50 pointer eternity band is going to be quite bulky. You most likely will not be able to put the adjacent fingers together. A few may like it but I think most wearers would find it very uncomfortable. You also didn't say if you will be wearing it with an engagement ring or not but depending on the engagement ring size it could be overpowering to some as well.

As for certified or un-certified stones I do not pay extra for GIA for an eternity band. I go to a reputable jeweler. If I was unsure of a jeweler I would assume one grade lower than they were telling me and see if I felt comfortable with the price and quality and consider myself lucky if I ended up with slightly better stones that one grade down. In my opinion normal buyers listen to marketing and all they hear is VS stones is what to look for. Not only isn't that alwyas true but you then have to watch out for less than honest jewelers selling small SI stones as VS such as in an eternity band because that is what consumers want to hear.

NBSC

Rough_Rock
Thanks so much for all of the replies and pictures.
Re colour and clarity if I go with non certed stones is G/H colour and eye clean SI ok in 45 pointers? Would you stick with F/G and VS?

Also, has anyone sourced their own stones for a project like this? It seems pretty easy to pick out some matching 45 pointers on Blue Nile of good quality and have them set. Am I missing something here?

Any thoughts as to how much a project like this should cost if I were to go with a full eternity of 45 pointers?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all of the replies and pictures.
Re colour and clarity if I go with non certed stones is G/H colour and eye clean SI ok in 45 pointers? Would you stick with F/G and VS?

Also, has anyone sourced their own stones for a project like this? It seems pretty easy to pick out some matching 45 pointers on Blue Nile of good quality and have them set. Am I missing something here?

Any thoughts as to how much a project like this should cost if I were to go with a full eternity of 45 pointers?

I think GH SI is fine personally, though you might want to price out FG VS as well and see what the difference comes out to. You didn’t mention your metal of choice, but I would probably stick to 14k WG.

There’s no reason why you can’t buy the stones yourself but I still would recommend getting your jeweler to pick out the stones... they have access to a wide array of stones and it’s a lot easier to match by eye than online. You’ll need to match something like 14-15 stones. I’d just go with a jeweler I could trust to put it together. Either a local guy if you have one you trust, or perhaps you can contact someone like IDJ who is pretty popular around these parts?

NBSC

Rough_Rock
I think GH SI is fine personally, though you might want to price out FG VS as well and see what the difference comes out to. You didn’t mention your metal of choice, but I would probably stick to 14k WG.

There’s no reason why you can’t buy the stones yourself but I still would recommend getting your jeweler to pick out the stones... they have access to a wide array of stones and it’s a lot easier to match by eye than online. You’ll need to match something like 14-15 stones. I’d just go with a jeweler I could trust to put it together. Either a local guy if you have one you trust, or perhaps you can contact someone like IDJ who is pretty popular around these parts?

Thanks!
I would love to go with IDJ but I live in Canada. I need to sort out what the duties would be. I’m not sure if they do a lot of international shipping.

Thanks!
I would love to go with IDJ but I live in Canada. I need to sort out what the duties would be. I’m not sure if they do a lot of international shipping.

Ah damn, that makes things hard. I’m sure IDJ would ship it but I don’t know what the cost would come out to be. Are there any local to you jewelers who you trust to do a good job? Or perhaps you can make a new post asking people what the quality of Blue Nile’s eternity rings is, so to see if you can buy one of those?

MsToothFairy

Rough_Rock
IMG_0445.JPG

My left hand ring finger is a 4.75; this is my 3/4 eternity band with 10- 1/2 carat OEC's. It was a bit bulky at first however, I have become used to the weight and width of the ring. Ring made by CVB

Gorgeous!!! Could we see it on your finger pls? Side and top view? Considering same one!!!

ashdawnp

Rough_Rock
IMG_0445.JPG

Can I please get a side and top picture of your ring I want the same one

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results