shape
carat
color
clarity

Eternity band fit

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I just got my New eternity band. Will post pics shortly. I asked a few jewelers should I go with same size as my e-ring and bands and was advised yes. My e ring slides over my knuckle with a little resistance but fits my finger great. I have no problems getting it on and off. With the eternity band that’s thicker it’s a challenge to get on and off and was turning my knuckle red! It fits the finger fine when I get past that part. But I think it’s due to it being a thicker band. My size is a pretty exact fit for my rings so it just works. But I’ve never had a thick band!

Is that normal? Jeweler said I will get used to it and I hope so because now I’m wondering if I should have gone a quarter size bigger. Thoughts? It’s alreadt done so now not I’m hoping I will get used to it and it works out cause I know there’s not much I could do short of resetting and doing slightly bigger. Help! Kind of freaking out a bit.

Thanks.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah you need to go up in size to compensate for the thickness

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
I went up 1/2 size and it works great.

misslili

Rough_Rock
Depending on how much clearance you have to your stones the jeweler may be able to polish down some of the metal around the inside of the ring and give you a little extra room.
Can you post a picture of the ring so I can see the inside?

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can we see it on you? I went up half a size and it worked for me, but I get it that it’s already done, so it’s a different story. If it has enough metal, they could potentially shave it down on the inside yo make it a little bigger. The other thing you could do (and this isn’t very convenient but it does work) is to spray your finger with windex when you put it on and take it off - a woman in a jewelry shop I was browsing in kept a bottle behind in the counter in case someone got a ring stuck on his/her finger. If it’s comfy while it’s on, but is causing you trouble getting it on & off, this could be a quick fix.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Yeah you need to go up in size to compensate for the thickness

This is where I’m baffled that I went to two reputable jewelers in LA and asked them this very question and they both thought I would be fine with my original size. This is the advice I went from.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I went up 1/2 size and it works great.

Maybe I needed to do this. I almost did the job with two other jewelers and they didn’t say I needed to go up when I asked.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Can we see it on you? I went up half a size and it worked for me, but I get it that it’s already done, so it’s a different story. If it has enough metal, they could potentially shave it down on the inside yo make it a little bigger. The other thing you could do (and this isn’t very convenient but it does work) is to spray your finger with windex when you put it on and take it off - a woman in a jewelry shop I was browsing in kept a bottle behind in the counter in case someone got a ring stuck on his/her finger. If it’s comfy while it’s on, but is causing you trouble getting it on & off, this could be a quick fix.

Yes I know of the windex hack and I could do it if needed but will be kind of upset if I have to do that all the time to get it on and off. I will post pics soon.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it summer where you are right now? Do your fingers swell more in the summer? You might be ok with the ring in the fall, winter and spring.

If it is cold where you are NOW and the ring feels tight, I'd recommend resetting it.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Is it summer where you are right now? Do your fingers swell more in the summer? You might be ok with the ring in the fall, winter and spring.

If it is cold where you are NOW and the ring feels tight, I'd recommend resetting it.

It is summer now where I am. See I guess the issue is just getting it over my knuckle. It seems like if I went bigger it would go over my knuckle easier but be loose on my finger. Ahh not sure what I should do.

Of course I sent the jeweler an email kind of freaking out. It’s not his fault at all. But I’ve seen two jewelers in my area that sized my rings and saw his that fit and advised me to stick with same size.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
C28F0316-8F36-4AFA-9D6E-69B9F5FB9DD1.jpeg A6B4BE83-5DA6-44BE-BD0D-9F2BC9BBC60B.jpeg 05E6AE77-334A-457F-9AE9-7E83971CD374.jpeg

Here are some pics. I also have pics of how my knuckles are all red on side after I try to take it on and off. I can post pics later to show inside of ring to see if there’s are space to work with. It’s also making me feel like my hand looks short and stumpy instead of thin and slim because taking it on and off makes my finger swell. Like it’s causing it to get more swollen then even heat from summer.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Go up in size and add sizing beads to avoid spinning

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
D0D09152-FE70-44A6-9996-1F5731F9ECE7.jpeg 93620ECE-0443-4072-8C3E-5134A5CED856.jpeg 0602A077-1A4C-4FFB-AB1F-A22E5A7D8BBF.jpeg

Here are some more pics. Wonder if shaving the inside would work. But I know I asked for setting as low as possible so not sure.

I really did want to have this for daily wear but if it’s this right it seems uncomfortable. I wonder if I had to resize what it would end up costing? Ugh I can’t even concentrate I’m so antsy about this. I’ve been waiting for it for a long time and it’s my 40th bday. :( just to add though not at all the jewelers fault.

Last edited:

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I also read that these u bands typically fit bigger. I think the jeweler May have compensated for that by making it end up fitting exactly like my size rather than letting it have the extra room of the u bands interior. Which should have worked fine but in my case it didn’t.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
C28F0316-8F36-4AFA-9D6E-69B9F5FB9DD1.jpeg A6B4BE83-5DA6-44BE-BD0D-9F2BC9BBC60B.jpeg 05E6AE77-334A-457F-9AE9-7E83971CD374.jpeg

Here are some pics. I also have pics of how my knuckles are all red on side after I try to take it on and off. I can post pics later to show inside of ring to see if there’s are space to work with. It’s also making me feel like my hand looks short and stumpy instead of thin and slim because taking it on and off makes my finger swell. Like it’s causing it to get more swollen then even heat from summer.

D0D09152-FE70-44A6-9996-1F5731F9ECE7.jpeg 93620ECE-0443-4072-8C3E-5134A5CED856.jpeg 0602A077-1A4C-4FFB-AB1F-A22E5A7D8BBF.jpeg

Here are some more pics. Wonder if shaving the inside would work. But I know I asked for setting as low as possible so not sure.

I really did want to have this for daily wear but if it’s this right it seems uncomfortable. I wonder if I had to resize what it would end up costing? Ugh I can’t even concentrate I’m so antsy about this. I’ve been waiting for it for a long time and it’s my 40th bday. :( just to add though not at all the jewelers fault.

I have your ring's baby! Same setting, just much smaller and after 10 years, I still love it just as much as the day I got it :love:

First, there's no way your fingers could possibly look short and stumpy even if you were putting your ring on and off all day long - you have lovely hands, and the ring looks spectacular on you. That is however, a REALLY thick band, due to the wonderful sized stones in it. I certainly wouldn't want to use windex every time I took my rings off either, so I understand that - if it were me, I think I'd wait to see how it fits in the winter....my fingers are a whole size smaller (if not more) in the winter. If your fingers remain the same size because it's just the knuckle though, this problem is not likely to go away.

Due to the U-Prong setting (which is executed beautifully here) there may not be enough metal to shave it down and make room for your knuckle, but it's certainly worth asking! If they say no, then I'd reset it. Ultimately, it's a ring you want to wear regularly and enjoy, I'd ask the jeweler how much to reset, and then do it (if you have the funds). No point in having something that you can't enjoy that makes you upset every time you try to get it on or off your finger.

It truly is a stunning ring - and looks perfect on you! What size are the stones?

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
I have your ring's baby! Same setting, just much smaller and after 10 years, I still love it just as much as the day I got it :love:

First, there's no way your fingers could possibly look short and stumpy even if you were putting your ring on and off all day long - you have lovely hands, and the ring looks spectacular on you. That is however, a REALLY thick band, due to the wonderful sized stones in it. I certainly wouldn't want to use windex every time I took my rings off either, so I understand that - if it were me, I think I'd wait to see how it fits in the winter....my fingers are a whole size smaller (if not more) in the winter. If your fingers remain the same size because it's just the knuckle though, this problem is not likely to go away.

Due to the U-Prong setting (which is executed beautifully here) there may not be enough metal to shave it down and make room for your knuckle, but it's certainly worth asking! If they say no, then I'd reset it. Ultimately, it's a ring you want to wear regularly and enjoy, I'd ask the jeweler how much to reset, and then do it (if you have the funds). No point in having something that you can't enjoy that makes you upset every time you try to get it on or off your finger.

It truly is a stunning ring - and looks perfect on you! What size are the stones?

Thank you for your kind words! The stones are .20 each. The ring really is made to perfection. the stones and the setting. I guess that's why I'm so frustrated. I felt like I was super careful and patient to do this right. Though I think this would have happened with any jeweler, as all recommended I stay with my same size - and these are jewelers I saw in person. The jeweler i went with though was out of state. though I think there is a little extra roominess of interior that jeweler compensated for. I was so ready for this, for one, been wanting it for years and was patient about trying to get the exact look I wanted and now the size. :(

was so ready to wear this beauty every day. ive emailed the jeweler right when I got it telling him its hard to get on and off and he gave me some ideas and thought I just have to get used to it, but then I emailed back saying I think its a little more than just getting used to it because it is pretty hard getting on and off, more than I would be comfortable with for regular wear. I asked what my options are to fix it. sigh.....

was not expecting this. I thought I had been right about all the details.

i'd have a hard time waiting till winter and just not doing anything about it.

Reactions: AV_

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for your kind words! The stones are .20 each. The ring really is made to perfection. the stones and the setting. I guess that's why I'm so frustrated. I felt like I was super careful and patient to do this right. Though I think this would have happened with any jeweler, as all recommended I stay with my same size - and these are jewelers I saw in person. The jeweler i went with though was out of state. though I think there is a little extra roominess of interior that jeweler compensated for. I was so ready for this, for one, been wanting it for years and was patient about trying to get the exact look I wanted and now the size. :(

was so ready to wear this beauty every day. ive emailed the jeweler right when I got it telling him its hard to get on and off and he gave me some ideas and thought I just have to get used to it, but then I emailed back saying I think its a little more than just getting used to it because it is pretty hard getting on and off, more than I would be comfortable with for regular wear. I asked what my options are to fix it. sigh.....

was not expecting this. I thought I had been right about all the details.

i'd have a hard time waiting till winter and just not doing anything about it.

As would I. In my case, my fingers swell at the point where you wear the ring, not at the knuckle. So there are literally rings I can't wear all summer, and some I cannot wear in the winter, because they'll fall off. Yours doesn't sound like this type of issue because it's your knuckle, not the fleshy part of your finger. I wear mine as my engagement ring, and I knew that I wanted to wear it all year, so I asked for a half size bigger than usual - when my fingers shrink up, I stack it with a 1 mm band in front of it so it can't fall off. IMHO, too big is better than too small - since it's an eternity, it doesn't matter if it spins - it always looks the same!

I get that it's frustrating, but honestly, just be patient - you'll get it all fixed and perfect eventually. Mine had to be remade also, because when they ordered it in, the setting wasn't as pretty as the one I tried in the store (size 6), so my jeweler actually sent out the original ring and the bench man took it apart and remade it so it would fit me. It took FOREVER, and it was really frustrating, but once I got my forever ring, it was all worth it. Keep your eye on the prize - it will all work itself out!

Do you plan to wear with with an engagement ring? I'd love to see the pair, if so :love:

Attachments

• 09D0CE41-0755-4F5D-8157-8A72ADAB7E91.jpeg
    09D0CE41-0755-4F5D-8157-8A72ADAB7E91.jpeg
    189.1 KB · Views: 50

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A2DCA586-AE6A-49CE-811F-AEC20082E176.jpeg

Here is how I wear mine in winter - obviously, I don't need the little ring guard currently, but you can see what it looks like. My little band was my mom's original wedding band, and she passed away a few years ago, so I love wearing them together, but I prefer the look alone. There are plenty of options, and again, the beauty of a full eternity is that spinning is not an issue. Please keep us posted on what your jeweler says!

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
As would I. In my case, my fingers swell at the point where you wear the ring, not at the knuckle. So there are literally rings I can't wear all summer, and some I cannot wear in the winter, because they'll fall off. Yours doesn't sound like this type of issue because it's your knuckle, not the fleshy part of your finger. I wear mine as my engagement ring, and I knew that I wanted to wear it all year, so I asked for a half size bigger than usual - when my fingers shrink up, I stack it with a 1 mm band in front of it so it can't fall off. IMHO, too big is better than too small - since it's an eternity, it doesn't matter if it spins - it always looks the same!

I get that it's frustrating, but honestly, just be patient - you'll get it all fixed and perfect eventually. Mine had to be remade also, because when they ordered it in, the setting wasn't as pretty as the one I tried in the store (size 6), so my jeweler actually sent out the original ring and the bench man took it apart and remade it so it would fit me. It took FOREVER, and it was really frustrating, but once I got my forever ring, it was all worth it. Keep your eye on the prize - it will all work itself out!

Do you plan to wear with with an engagement ring? I'd love to see the pair, if so :love:

Yes I get it, I think this is even a bit snug on my finger but the knuckle is the main issue. if I could get it on with ease I don't think i'd have a problem.

I hope you are right that I will get it fixed and resolved. I guess that's where my anxiety is coming in, having made a big purchase and it not fitting right. yes sounds like you have a similar story. I guess I have to be patient as you say!

I don't think I will wear with my e-ring as I tried it lastnight and it didn't look amazing. but I have two thin wedding bands I may wear on either side. have to play around with combinations more, but im kind of waiting on figuring out the sizing issue to keep trying it at the moment.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Give us a pic of your ering!

Yes though. I can’t really imagine any ering with that band. THat eternity band commands attention and demands its own finger and doesn’t look like it wants to share.

I think you should try to wear it alone tomorrow after you’ve given your finger a chance to rest. All the on and off hasn’t probably irritated it and made it swell. Tomorrow put it on once in the morning and don’t take it off until the end of your day. Maybe your finger won’t swell. Mine never have.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
03687128-208D-4105-B037-4FFE7A62C7EE.jpeg 9FE7FEC0-77B5-4E65-B725-CD4D2FC6015A.jpeg

Here is my set! I will post more soon

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Give us a pic of your ering!

Yes though. I can’t really imagine any ering with that band. THat eternity band commands attention and demands its own finger and doesn’t look like it wants to share.

I think you should try to wear it alone tomorrow after you’ve given your finger a chance to rest. All the on and off hasn’t probably irritated it and made it swell. Tomorrow put it on once in the morning and don’t take it off until the end of your day. Maybe your finger won’t swell. Mine never have.

I posted my set above. so far from what I see it doesn't look good with my e-ring and the band. it makes my e-ring look not exciting.

I tried to wear it out last night after giving my finger a chance to rest and its relatively ok on the finger but the knuckle and coming on and off is not so smooth. I used windex to do it. :( also I considered this that it was too much taking it on and off that caused an issue, but even from the first time it was too hard to put on and take off. I SOOOO wish I would have gone bigger and did not at all expect this to be an issue or I would have at least gone slightly bigger.

and I feel my finger swelling and reacting to the ring being too small. im actually having a hard time getting my regular e-ring and band on and off right now too cause im swollen and my finger is like freaking out. I think I need it bigger. im not sure that shaving inside will be enough. :( but I guess I have to be patient and see.

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I posted my set above. so far from what I see it doesn't look good with my e-ring and the band. it makes my e-ring look not exciting.

I tried to wear it out last night after giving my finger a chance to rest and its relatively ok on the finger but the knuckle and coming on and off is not so smooth. I used windex to do it. :( also I considered this that it was too much taking it on and off that caused an issue, but even from the first time it was too hard to put on and take off. I SOOOO wish I would have gone bigger and did not at all expect this to be an issue or I would have at least gone slightly bigger.

and I feel my finger swelling and reacting to the ring being too small. im actually having a hard time getting my regular e-ring and band on and off right now too cause im swollen and my finger is like freaking out. I think I need it bigger. im not sure that shaving inside will be enough. :( but I guess I have to be patient and see.

I see that your e-ring doesn't really go with the big band - it's a lovely set as it is though! I would wear that set together and keep the new band as a stand alone ring - just love that look :love:. That's part of why I bought mine instead of a traditional engagement ring - it was cheaper and I just love the look of a substantial sized eternity band - so classic. A friend of mine once told me she thought my ring finger looked unfinished, because it wasn't part of a set, but I don't really care what others think. I saw Jennifer Garner's engagement eternity to Ben Afflack years ago, and I was hooked - nothing beats a blingy band in my opinion! (PS - if I could have afforded one like yours, it would have been the ultimate dream ring. Yours is really special).

As for the swelling - girl I feel you on that. I was looking for little bands to go with my eternity as a set, and I was at the jewelry store, trying on/taking off, trying on/taking off etc. And my fingers were not pleased! My eternity was loose when I walked in and tight when I walked out. I made the lovely sales lady put my ring and the other rings on so I could take a picture to remember. Mine were too swollen to get the combo on at that point!

I'm sure your jeweler will work with you - please come back with your success story and more pics when it's done. Better to get it all squared away now, so you can really enjoy it! I will say that I had sent mine of to my jeweler (local) because two stones were loose, and it was actually gone for a while because the benchman is sick with cancer and I told them it wasn't pressing to get it back ASAP. I picked it up on Thursday, and fell in love all over again - it was like it grew and got sparklier (in reality I'm sure it was just clean)! :P2

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
03687128-208D-4105-B037-4FFE7A62C7EE.jpeg 9FE7FEC0-77B5-4E65-B725-CD4D2FC6015A.jpeg

Here is my set! I will post more soon

Oh my, is that redness from the eternity? I think that in this particular case you might want to consider a reset. The eternity is begging to be worn but if it causes THAT much scraping...I would say it's too small whether it is summer or winter since it's the knuckle.

Contacting the jeweler now is a much better option, instead of waiting. Understanding that the jeweler is out of state, if you reset with him, may I recommend that you ask him for a wax mold/some sort of size prior rothe reset? That way you know for a fact prior to setting that it is the correct size.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You often need to size up a bit for thicker bands. I also size up a bit for eternities just because they can't be resized. So I'm a 4.5 if my ring is under 4mm wide, but 5-7 or 8mm I'm a 5, and beyond that a 5.5. And I have gotten my eternity bands (all under 4mm wide) in size 5. I also have a larger knuckle than where my ring sits so I have to be careful to size to go over the knuckle easily... what fits snugly on my finger is different than what I can get over my knuckle!

The ring looks great on you so I hope you're able to work it out. I'm sure it must be tremendously frustrating to get it and then not be able to put it on without a fight!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello there! Wow - stunning piece! As we all know, an eternity ring aka infinity ring - comprising a band of precious metal set with a continuous line of identically cut gemstones (usually diamonds) to symbolise never-ending love. Lately, I have been enjoying working on platinum ones which is a harder material. I can imagine your situation.

Have you tried a size up? If so, are you open on adding those ring silicon supports? (Not stylish -but. might help out)

Let us know? Enjoy the ring, its a beauty! :love:

Best,

Andy
If you are working in the trade, Andy, you have to tick the box within your profile to say that and add the Trade logo to your account.

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's a gorgeous ring! I hope you get the sizing right so you can enjoy it!

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
Oh my, is that redness from the eternity? I think that in this particular case you might want to consider a reset. The eternity is begging to be worn but if it causes THAT much scraping...I would say it's too small whether it is summer or winter since it's the knuckle.

Contacting the jeweler now is a much better option, instead of waiting. Understanding that the jeweler is out of state, if you reset with him, may I recommend that you ask him for a wax mold/some sort of size prior rothe reset? That way you know for a fact prior to setting that it is the correct size.

to be honest I think a reset would be the best option, but I think they will try shaving the inside first. but at this point I guess I'm a bit worried it wont work - and I would say it needs to be at least quarter of a size to most half a size bigger. I sent it back already so waiting to hear from them.

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
It's a gorgeous ring! I hope you get the sizing right so you can enjoy it!

i really hope so too. thank you. Ive been waiting a long time for this so i thought all the waiting is over. my neurosis about it all is kind of kicked in because jeweler is out of state and fit is wrong and ive already paid. sure he is working on it, and trying to resolve but im really hoping for it to look and fit just right as I dont want to have to feel like its not 100% right

kimf79

Shiny_Rock
You often need to size up a bit for thicker bands. I also size up a bit for eternities just because they can't be resized. So I'm a 4.5 if my ring is under 4mm wide, but 5-7 or 8mm I'm a 5, and beyond that a 5.5. And I have gotten my eternity bands (all under 4mm wide) in size 5. I also have a larger knuckle than where my ring sits so I have to be careful to size to go over the knuckle easily... what fits snugly on my finger is different than what I can get over my knuckle!

The ring looks great on you so I hope you're able to work it out. I'm sure it must be tremendously frustrating to get it and then not be able to put it on without a fight!

yeah, whats funny is I was definitely not expecting a sizing issue. i asked many jewelers i was planning on working with in LA, if I needed to size up. I was very close to doing this project with two jewelers here, and when we discussed size they said your regular size is fine. So i wasnt expecting that issue. I know an eternity band is a custom piece so you can imagine my freak out when i got it and its not right. ugh i just hope I will get it back and it will be just right in the end.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results