shape
carat
color
clarity

Ering sketches from Sally!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
I''m really liking that profile view!

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
How exciting....I can''t wait to see it IRL!!!!

Lori

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
This is going to be one really lovely ring. I think it might better lend itself to all white gold. If it was moreof a strong purple, I could then see adding yellow gold.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
How about granulation instead of rope? Just suggesting. As for the two tone effect, it might look nice, but I''d probably stay with an all-white look for an e-ring. Another metal color might make it look too fun and partyish for such an important piece, especially when combined with a delicate color of the stone.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! You guys are right, all white metal is best!

Ma Re, what''s granulation?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perhaps he means some sort of bumpy appearance to give the setting a textured look? BTW, I think the design is lovely. I like the feminine swirls and like the rope too but if it’s not you, it’s not. I understand that.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 8:06:41 AM
Author: packrat
Thanks everyone! You guys are right, all white metal is best!

Ma Re, what''s granulation?
THIS
1.gif
I''m thinking something similar to mabe earrings on that page, but a full circle of granulation around the center stone.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ooooh I see! Thanks for the link Ma Re! Kind of like on this ring?

1403.jpg

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Oooh, that could be neat and a little JM-like. Kind of edgy.

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
It''ll be lovely.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
That really is going to be smashing! Can NOT wait to see the finished product!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/8/2009 10:33:16 AM
Author: packrat
Ooooh I see! Thanks for the link Ma Re! Kind of like on this ring?
Sure, why not. If you''d like such details, no reason not to go that route. Oh, except maybe one thing - durability. Granulation is (as you could''ve read in that article) not the most durable work in metal, so you might want to put those granules into some sort of a "ditch" inside the metal, so that it doesen''t stick out above the surface while still staying clearly visible (that way, there''s a lot less risk of ruining it by hitting it around). Glad you like the idea
2.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
I heard back from Sally already this morning and feel really good about everything! I sent some pictures to make sure I understand what she''s explaining-I always worry I "see" things differently in my head and I don''t want to be like aw crap that''s not what I thought it would look like.

I didn''t see the granulation on any white gold pieces, so I have a hard time thinking what it would look like on it..the yellow gold has that cool antiquing on it to really highlight it, so I wonder, how it would look. Still thinking about it tho, and I''ll ask Sally too.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Well THIS isn''t exactly a ring, but it could help you visualize it in 18k wg. There are also many examples in silver if you do a google image search, but it''s mostly with oxidized silver and you''re probably not interested in that look.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
either way you go, or keep it simple all the way is still beautiful. Will you get another sketch from her?

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ma Re, I can''t get the link to work!

D&T, I''m not sure-I hope so! I have an email from her now, so I''ll go check it out and let you guys know!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
That one worked-and that''s neat! I like it, so I''ll email Sally and ask her about it! Thanks for the suggestion!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can''t wait to see the product!

This really is exciting
9.gif

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I think Sally''s graceful design will be a great combination with that lovely spinel. I can''t wait to see the finished ring.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
K, I need help *again*.

Sally convoed me today that they''re starting my setting, and wanted to run it by me about doing the stone in a kite position.

Thus begins my conundrum. I''ve been hemming and hawing about it for about an hour now, drawing it on my hand (poorly haha), trying to picture it in my head.

I really like the kite position, I think it''s original and looks so nice. I wonder tho if I''m too chicken to do something out of the ordinary w/my ering.

I can always ask for sketches to get a better idea of how the shank would look and the gallery too.

Wanted to hear from other points of view too tho!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Pack, do you have any kite rings in your head that you like the look of that you could show us? It might help to talk it through a bit. I''ve always wondered with kite set about wedding bands...

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the look of kite set stones personally.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
D&T has this kite spinel lotus..I''ve not seen too many colored stones set like this..I did a search, but maybe I didn''t search well.

d&tkitespinel.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you look at princess diamonds, some are off-set in a kite position, mostly as pendants. You might be able to find something like that online to help you visualize.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
And Sally''s Harlequin stackers are bezeled, so that gives a little better idea I think.

il_430xN.44045872.jpg

Liane

Brilliant_Rock
I love kite-set stones. I have Sally working on a kite-set princess-cut aquamarine pendant for me right now.
1.gif

I think it''d be a lovely idea for a ring, too -- unusual enough to be eye-catching, not enough so to seem "weird."

Kay

Ideal_Rock
I love kite set stones, as long as the stone is square and not at all rectangular. Cartier has a kite set amethyst in their Inde Mysterieuse ring that I just drool over.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had a diamond trilogy ring with all three diamonds set as kites. It didn''t look "right" on my hand somehow and I always regretted having it set that way. It looked very pretty but actually made the diamonds look smaller than they were. Why don''t you ask Sally to put the gem on her hand both ways and take a photo. That way you can see the proportions on a hand (presumably) similar in size to yours?

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Pack!

Ok gotta say I love kite sets
2.gif
HOWEVER! it is a NON-traditional look, and I think Sally is just giving you other ideas in case you hadn't thought of it BUT don't do it just because she thinks it looks snazzy. I'm feeling that you might want a more traditional look, if so, then go back to plan A with the stone oriented the "normal" way... I think if the stone was Noticeable SQUARE like my spinel with the straight line and corners, then I would like the bezel to accentuate that in a kite set setting BUT in a Cushion .... meh- I might not like it sooo much because to me, it might make the stone *ahem* little "confused" on what shape it appears to be, but I need to find some good bezel kite set rings to make me think otherwise. Hope I'm making sense and not rambling on.

ETA: I just wanted to say that I love the cushion shape set in the traditional fashion is all I'm trying to say
3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results