shape
carat
color
clarity

ERD vs Steven Kirsch vs Leon Mege etc

neuman101

Rough_Rock
So i am going to be buying a 1.8-2.0 carat asscher diamond from ERD or GoG. I guess it would be easiest to have Gary and ERD do the setting as well if i buy there, but really want a quality solitaire setting, and was wondering how he compared with the others here. My gf really likes a simple solitary setting from Tiffany, and it was one i was thinking about replicating.

http://www.tiffany.com/Engagement/item.aspx?GroupSku=GRP10057&selectedSku=26072719

she also likes the following setting with baguettes

http://www.betteridge.com/betteridge-2.46-carat-asscher-cut-diamond-engagement-ring/p/2460/

Does anyone have any preferences for going with one of these jewelers versus the others? Anyone have any idea what such a setting might cost (platinum)?

aquanaut

Shiny_Rock
I would highly recommend Leon Mege. He made my fiance's ring and I was very pleased with the whole experience and the final product. I would say that his work is comparable to Tiffany, Harry Winston and Cartier.

See my thread where I posted detailed photos https://www.pricescope.com/communit...ances-2-70ct-leon-mege-solitaire-ring.161793/

Some people warn that Leon might be hard to work with. He is opinionated and is not the type of "artist" who bluntly follows intructions of his clients and creates exactly what he is told. He is the type, rather, to tell you if he thinks something will look ugly and if he disagrees with the design you are describing.

Personally, I appreciated this trait, but I think also because I tend to agree with his general "vision."

Regardless, I would schedule a meeting or phone conversation with him to see what kind of vibe you will get.

Good luck and keep us posted!

aquanaut

Shiny_Rock
As far as your question - Mark at ERD is a very nice guy but his settings are not quite as dainty as SK and LM. I am not sure if he uses CAD or hand cast.

SK used to work for LM but has left and started his own shop.

A plain solitaire setting in platinum should be around 2k

SB621

Ideal_Rock
ERD does not hand cast settings so his settings will be less expensive using CADs. Where as LM and SK do hand cast so they will be more expensive.

My personal opinion for what it is worth. If you were getting a setting with diamonds I would go with SK. However for a solitare I would probably go with ERD as it will be cheaper and you can put more towards the diamond or wedding band.

My Reasons
-LM-I, unforunately know 2 people and have heard about 2 others who have had problems with their LM rings either loosing diamonds or disfiguring in shape. I question just how well made they really are if they are already have problems like this for being less then 2 years old. I also am not a fan of LM's atitude as someone already brought up. I think when you work with customers there has to be a level of customer service that he steps on too often.
-SK, I have heard great things about him and when I redo my wedding set I will either go with him or VC. I think they do beautiful work, have great customer service and so far no one has had any issues with either of their work. However, since everything is hand cast I expect he will be much more $$$$.
ERD- Mark uses CADs, so your setting will not be hand made. This saves you money. Once again for a plain solitare where I personally don't think you will see a difference in CAD vs. Hand cast I would go with this option.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd go with Steven Kirsch if it were me.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I did go to Steven and I've been thrilled. That's my recommendation.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
If you're after a dainty setting id go with SK too, and i just had my ering made by LM!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was at ERD, Chris showed me a handforged piece, and stated that they have someone to handforge settings if the client wants to go that route.

Why not just get a quote from all three, emphasize that you want the setting to be hand "forged," not hand "cast", and ultimately whomever you decide to go with for the setting, have them put it in writing that the setting will be hand forged.

It's not uncommon for people to use different vendors for the diamond and the setting - there was recently a thread on "Show me the Bling!" where someone had an ERD diamond in a Steven Kirsch setting.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/4ct-cushion-in-steven-kirsch-halo-setting.165905/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd probably go with Steven K or Victor Canera.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
I believe that Leon Mege, Steven Kirsch and Victor Canera are all exceptional. I would go to each of them depending on the type of project. I think a plain solitaire would be comparable for all three. For french cuts, no question - it would be Leon Mege for me. This also applies to super dainty rings with lots of curves but I would consider Steven too. For halos. I am very happy with what I am seeing from both Steven and Victor. I simply adore Boom's new SK ring - it proves to me that he can come up with unique and gorgeous designs.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
NOTE TO SELF: It's a good idea to read these things carefully. If you want a Tiffany COPY I wouldn't bother with any of these vendors. They won't do it. Inspired by, similar to... in the same vein as... those words are okay. Copy and replica... not so much.

Leon and Steven and Victor all have gorgeous solitaires that are frankly nicer than that Tiffany. That Tiffany will not allow a band to sit ANYWHERE NEAR IT. At least with the Solitaires from these vendors you get a donut, but it's a small gap. And if you ask they can eliminate the gap altogether (although I would avoid the discussion of flush fit bands with Leon he's somewhat of a fanatic).

Does your lady want her wedding band to sit next to her engagement ring? I did.

If you want a three stone with baguettes. I'd be happy with Steven or Victor.

But I um... yeah. Please don't ask Leon to copy anything, unless it is his own work You won't like the result. And with ANY vendor that is a designer and artisan like these listed here... don't use the word "copy"... you can say: I like this setting can you propose something along these lines.

neuman101

Rough_Rock
It sounds like i would not work well with Leon. Yes, she will want to wear her wedding band near her engagement ring, What do you mean that you cant wear a wedding band anywhere near a Tiffany Ring? I dont know what that means.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
The head of that setting is square-- what we call the basket. Look at the profile shot. It's square all the way down. So that means that it will protrude away from the shank. So if you put a straight band next to it it will sit next to basket, not the shank of the engagement ring.

SC86

Shiny_Rock
CharmyPoo|1316752527|3023614 said:
I believe that Leon Mege, Steven Kirsch and Victor Canera are all exceptional. I would go to each of them depending on the type of project. I think a plain solitaire would be comparable for all three. For french cuts, no question - it would be Leon Mege for me. This also applies to super dainty rings with lots of curves but I would consider Steven too. For halos. I am very happy with what I am seeing from both Steven and Victor. I simply adore Boom's new SK ring - it proves to me that he can come up with unique and gorgeous designs.

I think Charmypoo said it best. I ended up speaking to LM, SK and VC and getting quotes from each for my project. Fortunately I was also able to see some of LM and SK's pieces in person, which really helped me decide. The quote amounts ended up being very reasonable (to me) and pretty similar (within a few hundred dollars), so it wasn't really a deciding factor. I ended up going with the designer I worked the best with, so I'd recommend SK personally. But I do think any of these designers, as well as ERD, would be able to create a well made Tiffany-inspired solitaire setting for you.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Copy or not ... I think all these halo settings that all have different names are all copied from Leon's halo design.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
Sarahbear621|1316717988|3023146 said:
ERD does not hand cast settings so his settings will be less expensive using CADs. Where as LM and SK do hand cast so they will be more expensive.

My personal opinion for what it is worth. If you were getting a setting with diamonds I would go with SK. However for a solitare I would probably go with ERD as it will be cheaper and you can put more towards the diamond or wedding band.

My Reasons
-LM-I, unforunately know 2 people and have heard about 2 others who have had problems with their LM rings either loosing diamonds or disfiguring in shape. I question just how well made they really are if they are already have problems like this for being less then 2 years old. I also am not a fan of LM's atitude as someone already brought up. I think when you work with customers there has to be a level of customer service that he steps on too often.
-SK, I have heard great things about him and when I redo my wedding set I will either go with him or VC. I think they do beautiful work, have great customer service and so far no one has had any issues with either of their work. However, since everything is hand cast I expect he will be much more $$$$.
ERD- Mark uses CADs, so your setting will not be hand made. This saves you money. Once again for a plain solitare where I personally don't think you will see a difference in CAD vs. Hand cast I would go with this option.

If you were going for a pave setting, I would definitely recommend Leon, Victor, or Steven. But in this case, I agree with the Sarahbear. I think a solitaire from ERD would be stunning and I personally wouldn't want to spend the extra cost to have it handmade. But I know that many others feel differently and it really just comes down to what you want.

I also vote for the plain solitaire over the setting with the baguettes.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results