color
clarity

ER arrived - need opinions - keep it or not :/

Do you like this setting?

• Yes, love it!

Votes: 23 53.5%
  • No, Hate it!

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • Like it from the top, but not from the side.

Votes: 5 11.6%
  • Petals ruin it.

Votes: 5 11.6%

• Total voters

hawk25

Shiny_Rock

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Ok so either way i'm switching out the diamond I think. So which would you rather have (it's the same cost):

Original setting:

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/product_36681

1.7 ct / H / IF
HCA of 1.3
7.64mm x 7.68mm x 4.73mm

OR

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/french-pave-diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_43585

(If you click the 360 button it shows you a 2.18 ct round in the setting which is pretty close to what it'll look like)

2.0 ct / H / VS2
HCA of 0.8
8.07mm x 8.09mm x 4.96mm

Or do you know of any other more delicate settings with small prongs?

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I for one really like this setting! And I would go for the 2ct, of course, lol!

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover|1393894090|3626876 said:

The original petal one or the second one i posted? My only two worries about the second one are:

1) It's similar to a lot of other settings.
2) Durability, alot of the diamond is exposed, if it were knocked into something it might chip :/

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
The 2 ct. that is well cut, for absolute sure. A nice, classic setting that fits the budget and perhaps allows your future wife the possibility to change to her taste in the future if she wishes. Tastes tend to change as we mature or are introduced to new styles. That would be my advice.

I am impressed with the amount of thought you are putting into this and you are vastly more invested in finding the "right" ring than the average proposer. She will be ecstatic with whatever you choose.

babs23r

Brilliant_Rock
Both settings are beautiful, although I would go for the second setting since I think that the diamond is the star of the ring in that setting. Also go for the 2 ct.
She will love it and is a lucky lady! :appl: :appl:

kay1

Shiny_Rock
purplesparklies|1393894902|3626884 said:
The 2 ct. that is well cut, for absolute sure. A nice, classic setting that fits the budget and perhaps allows your future wife the possibility to change to her taste in the future if she wishes. Tastes tend to change as we mature or are introduced to new styles. That would be my advice.

I am impressed with the amount of thought you are putting into this and you are vastly more invested in finding the "right" ring than the average proposer. She will be ecstatic with whatever you choose.

Either way i'm going to send the existing ring back now to change the diamond :) Without getting too cheesy on you, her eyes light up and she gets a huge smile no matter what I surprise her with from $2 to $20k, if I don't see that when she see's the ring i'll be devestated! So I can't research enough :)

babs23r|1393895385|3626887 said:
Both settings are beautiful, although I would go for the second setting since I think that the diamond is the star of the ring in that setting. Also go for the 2 ct.
She will love it and is a lucky lady! :appl: :appl:

She did like alot of the more delicate rings in dabeers, so I'm beginning to think that may be a safer bet, I'll wait for a few more people to weigh in tonight before I call BN tomorrow.

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1393894243|3626877 said:
Asscherhalo_lover|1393894090|3626876 said:

The original petal one or the second one i posted? My only two worries about the second one are:

1) It's similar to a lot of other settings.
2) Durability, alot of the diamond is exposed, if it were knocked into something it might chip :/

The original, I think the petals are lovely!

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
Cheese away! It's wonderful! I know her eyes will light up at the ring and the joy of taking the next step toward a long, happy life with you. It's been many years since my husband proposed but a woman never forgets that feeling. :) My e-ring was a sweet .60 carat princess cut stone in a yellow gold setting with invisible set diamonds on either side. We were both clueless about cut but color and clarity are decent, thankfully. I have since reset as styles and tastes have long since changed but I will always cherish my original diamond and the thought and savings that went into it. He was just barely 20, and I only 19, when he proposed so it was a tremendous amount of money. That was 19 years, two houses, 8 cars, 6 dogs and two children ago. Enjoy the ride! :)

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I tried this setting on at a jewelry store and it was very delicate and fine. The knife edge paved shank was very narrow yet strong which i loved. The sub halo was great too and loved the 6 prongs. It was made for a 9mm stone. It was everything i wanted and was looking for as i wanted a very thin paved shank, delicate 6 prongs and a fine not bulky setting. Just waiting to get that perfect stone. The price was reasonable too.
http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER7940W83JJ

Also this style is nice too without the sub halo:

http://www.gabrielny.com/amavida/style/ER7389PT3JJ

I really like the lotus setting you chose but I agree it looks bulky but you can't really tell without seeing it in person. The two settings above I know are delicate and fine.

I would definitely go with the 2 c stone that is a better cut.

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
Go with what she likes I dont like the petal one at all. Go for the halo. Downgrade your center stone with an ideal cut but maybe G color si1 totally eye clean and get the double halo......

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Thansk for all the input!

After pulling all my hair out I've decided i'm going to get the double halo and propose with that. Then we can go ring shopping for another engagement ring if she wants a more classic one.

http://www.debeers.co.uk/bridal/de-beers-bridal-designs/de-beers-aura/j1dd17b10p/de-beers-aura-double-halo-solitaire-ring

So now I have another dilemma. If I buy from dabeers, the 0.7 ct center diamond version is $18,000. The 1 ct version is $26,000.

If we go and get a second ring, the the 0.7ct is probably a better bet. If we don't I don't want her to end up with a 0.7ct engagement ring as her only ring. I have a personal minimum of 1ct, and i wouldn't be happy getting her anything less!

She doesn't have much of a clue about diamonds and of all the rings in dabeers she LOVED the double halo, more than the single halo and more than even a 2ct solitaire (centre stone size didn't come into it).

I also think those prices are crazy for what you get. So what should i do?

1) Look for another supplier who makes something VERY similar, and spend the money on a bigger/better centre stone. (anyone know any places I can get a similar setting??)

2) Just buy the 0.7 ct from dabeers.

3) Just buy the 1 ct from dabeers.

I'm inclined to find something very similar from another reputable supplier and spend the difference on a bigger diamond. Does anyone know of a place I can get a ring like this?

purplesparklies

Brilliant_Rock
I think the Debeer's price is too high. I would go with your instinct to find something higher quality, lower priced and get more bang for your buck. A quick google search for: [engagement ring double halo] shows several possibilities. Both James Allen and Blue Nile were one of the top results. No idea how similar theirs is to the Debeer's. You are on the right track!

kay1

Shiny_Rock
purplesparklies|1394063704|3628276 said:
I think the Debeer's price is too high. I would go with your instinct to find something higher quality, lower priced and get more bang for your buck. A quick google search for: [engagement ring double halo] shows several possibilities. Both James Allen and Blue Nile were one of the top results. No idea how similar theirs is to the Debeer's. You are on the right track!

Yeah i feel like i'm in danger of 'thinking i know better' by picking a different setting. I know she LOVED the double halo so I should probably just go with a double halo. I'm looking now for similar rings.

I have an appointment with debeers tomorrow, more to see the ring again properly and get a definitive price from them for comparison. I'm sure i'm 'paying for the label' there.

I've had a look at WF and JA. The BN ones are clunky. The search for a similar setting continues...

kay1

Shiny_Rock
So, I went down to dabeers, and of course I knew the prices would be really high, but actually sitting down and looking at everything properly I was quite shocked at how they are actually offering pretty low grade diamonds at top prices. I had expected VVS1/VVS2 or at least VS1/VS2 at these prices levels! The mark us is insanely high - and i'm comparing to tiffany, cartier etc.

Here's the ones I saw: Promise Diamond Ring

G / SI2 / 2.02 ct £31,200 ($52,000)

K / SI1 / 2.03 ct £24,600 ($41,000)

J / SI2 / 2.36 ct £28,000 ($47,000).

Cartier wasn't much better but at least they only do VS2 and H as a minimum:

H / VS1 / 1.50 ct £23,800 ($40,000)

H / VS1 / 1.72 ct £27,200 ($46,000)

More importantly tho, I learnt an important lesson...

When I first went into debeers everything looks super amazing - so much better than anything I had seen online. Since then I looked PROPERLY online, analysing every single setting, cathederal or not, pave or not, how it would look, wedding band would fit etc.

Now going back to debeers and looking at their rings again, I have to say they aren't actually anything all that special. Yes they are nice, but no nicer than a designer setting you can find online. I'm thinking at these price points it really doesn't make sense!

In the mean time the nice 2.0 ct diamond I found online has now sold :(

So my search continues for a nice 2.0 ct diamond, a setting with diamonds like those on the current setting, but with alot more delicate prongs for the diamond. Suggestions?

I have about 6 weeks left to get this all finalised. Stress!

(P.S. either way the current setting needs to go back because the size is probably too big, and I do want to change that diamond).

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1394064190|3628278 said:
purplesparklies|1394063704|3628276 said:

Yeah i feel like i'm in danger of 'thinking i know better' by picking a different setting. I know she LOVED the double halo so I should probably just go with a double halo. I'm looking now for similar rings.

I have an appointment with debeers tomorrow, more to see the ring again properly and get a definitive price from them for comparison. I'm sure i'm 'paying for the label' there.

I've had a look at WF and JA. The BN ones are clunky. The search for a similar setting continues...

I'm glad you decided to go with a double halo setting, since that's what she communicated that she liked. However, I disagree about the WF and JA settings in comparison to the DeBeers... the DeBeers setting was the one that looked clunky to me -- not delicate in the least bit, so that's why I'm a little confused by your description of what she likes. Is it possible she likes the thicker halo for more finger coverage? :confused: Why don't you have VC or SK make a gorgeous setting for her?? IMO, it is absolutely insane to pay the DeBeers prices. Insane. :errrr: :wacko: I don't know how your FF feels, but I know that I would be p!ssed if my BF spent a ton of money and got a much smaller, inferior performing stone.

However, if you're considering spending that kind of money, you could get her a 3 carat solitaire - then she would be so dazzled, you could just pop that bad boy in a six prong solitaire!! ...just a thought. :naughty:

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Ok,

I've come full circle and here's the plan!

Original petal ring:

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/product_36681

Another ring by that designer (leaf):

http://www.bluenile.com/uk/monique-lhuillier-leaf-diamond-engagement-ring-platinum_36602

These look a bit more delicate I think, so I'm going to ask them to make a custom design with the original petal ring's shank, but these petals. I'll see if i can get them to trim down the extra 4 prongs between the petals too.

Alternatively some other kind of more subtle idea for the prongs.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions? I'd appreciate if you know of anything that might look good if you could post pictures I can pass to the designer :)

Oh, and i'm upgrading the diamond to a chunky 2.5 ct - Yay!

EDIT: Msop04: Just seen your reply. So a few things have happened since. She originally liked the double halo, but after a few discussions (which came up after my cousin also got a ring to get engaged), she said she actually thought something like the debeers promise solitaire made more sense to wear every day. She pointed to that because we saw it in debeers, but said she doesnt like a single solitaire and prefers diamonds on the side. I also showed her an edited version of the video for this particular ring - knowing I won't be keeping it. In that video you just saw the sides (not the petals) and she said hmm not sure about that back bit.

So i can tell she wants delicate and not clunky petals - much like a lot of people here have said (it's about 50/50 hate/like in the poll). So now i'm thinking to make something myself. As for debeers, crazy prices, sub standard diamond, and nothing special in the setting - i'm not going back there!

http://www.debeers.co.uk/jewellery/rings/j1fd01b03p/de-beers-promise--solitaire-ring

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1394139131|3628821 said:
Ok,

I've come full circle and here's the plan!

Oh, and i'm upgrading the diamond to a chunky 2.5 ct - Yay!

YAAAAAAYYYY!!!! :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

EDIT: Msop04: Just seen your reply. So a few things have happened since. She originally liked the double halo, but after a few discussions (which came up after my cousin also got a ring to get engaged), she said she actually thought something like the debeers promise solitaire made more sense to wear every day. She pointed to that because we saw it in debeers, but said she doesnt like a single solitaire and prefers diamonds on the side. I also showed her an edited version of the video for this particular ring - knowing I won't be keeping it. In that video you just saw the sides (not the petals) and she said hmm not sure about that back bit.

As for debeers, crazy prices, sub standard diamond, and nothing special in the setting - i'm not going back there!

http://www.debeers.co.uk/jewellery/rings/j1fd01b03p/de-beers-promise--solitaire-ring

OP, I'm so happy you were able to talk with her and now you understand more of what she'd like! **that's a lot of points for you!! ...not every guy goes to nearly as much trouble and does as much research as you have already done, so I commend you for that!!**

I think the new idea will look classy and AWESOME!! :appl: :love: :appl: :love: :appl:

kay1

Shiny_Rock
msop04|1394139437|3628825 said:
OP, what about this stone?? It looks AMAZING and is 8.7mm!!! :love: :love:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-dia...arat-h-color-vs2-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-227257 $33,390

The Monique Lhuillier settings are not very well-made. They are mass produced, a lot like the Neil Lane settings at Kay. Not meaning to be a downer, I just didn't want you to think you're getting a "designer" setting.

Yeah I can tell it's probably some mass deal with Blue Nile for her to just stick her name on it. Having said that in person it does look pretty nice compared to other settings i've seen in non-brand stores. What i do like though is the way the diamonds have been paved. They are round, but appear almost square and you don't notice the metal. Also where it tapers it almost looks they cut the diamond to fit like a paved brick road - as in there's no awkward extra round bit of the diamond showing, or empty gaps. They've hidden it well under the metal or something.

I personally can't fault the way the pave is done and really like it. That's the primary reason i'm persisiting with this setting to be honest. The second reason is that i'm kind of running out of time, and I can get BN to start on the ring while this one ships back. Having said that I do have cash to pay for a second ring while they take this one back.

I've had a good look on Vatche, Ritoni, GOG, WF, JA and for some reason I can't seem to find anything that doesn't look like everything else i've seen. It's entirely possible I've atained some huge internal bias now i've seen this monique ring in person.

I also appear to be entering some kind of OCD with this whole thing! Still i've come this far, may as well keep going and get it right :)

Any and all suggestions/advice are welcome. Just be straight, I'm not worried about hurt feelings etc.

EDIT: That's a lovely diamond! Added to my list of candidates.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1394139917|3628838 said:
I personally can't fault the way the pave is done and really like it. That's the primary reason i'm persisiting with this setting to be honest. The second reason is that i'm kind of running out of time, and I can get BN to start on the ring while this one ships back. Having said that I do have cash to pay for a second ring while they take this one back.

I've had a good look on Vatche, Ritoni, GOG, WF, JA and for some reason I can't seem to find anything that doesn't look like everything else i've seen. It's entirely possible I've atained some huge internal bias now i've seen this monique ring in person.

I also appear to be entering some kind of OCD with this whole thing! Still i've come this far, may as well keep going and get it right :)

Any and all suggestions/advice are welcome. Just be straight, I'm not worried about hurt feelings etc.

EDIT: That's a lovely diamond! Added to my list of candidates.

kay1, you're confusing the life outta me!! Have I missed something?? LOL I thought your FF said she didn't care for the flower setting and wanted something more streamlined, like the DeBeers ring you posted. :confused: I think you're partial because you've never seen one that is very well made. Anything is possible with a good bench -- and I promise you, it will be much better pave as well as overall quality. If she likes the DeBeers Promise ring, have it made. The two rings are very different (vintage vs. modern), so if she has told you outright that she doesn't care for the petal setting, please listen and get one very similar to the one you know she likes. It's okay to be OCD!! It just shows you care and want her to be happy! :)) ;))

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Ok lets clarify :)

1) She likes the pave on the existing ring. I like the pave and tapered look of the existing ring.

2) She doesn't like the petals on the existing ring. I too am unsure about the petals on the existing hence this thread.

3) I do like the petals on the second ring, BUT i don't have enough information from her to know if she does.

4) She pointed at the promise ring as an example of what she likes in a more classic engagement style setting (vs the double halo) - she doesn't like a single stone on it's own, but diamonds around it.

Conclusion:
Drop the petals and go with more refined prongs etc. Keep some form of pave, probably a tapered one similar to what this ring has.

So I need to either find a setting that has that or have one made - all the pave I've seen is either micro which isn't really practical for her to wear every day, or is straight and looks ordinary.

So right now i'm trying to find such a ring, and also looking for a picture of a setting I like and also various pave options that I could give a designer.

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Oh and who would you recommend to actually make it for me?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1394147329|3628914 said:
Ok lets clarify :)

1) She likes the pave on the existing ring. I like the pave and tapered look of the existing ring.

2) She doesn't like the petals on the existing ring. I too am unsure about the petals on the existing hence this thread.

3) I do like the petals on the second ring, BUT i don't have enough information from her to know if she does.

4) She pointed at the promise ring as an example of what she likes in a more classic engagement style setting (vs the double halo) - she doesn't like a single stone on it's own, but diamonds around it.

Conclusion:
Drop the petals and go with more refined prongs etc. Keep some form of pave, probably a tapered one similar to what this ring has.

So I need to either find a setting that has that or have one made - all the pave I've seen is either micro which isn't really practical for her to wear every day, or is straight and looks ordinary.

So right now i'm trying to find such a ring, and also looking for a picture of a setting I like and also various pave options that I could give a designer.

Thanks for clarifying, kay1 -- I apologize... must be slow today! :oops: :))

I love your conclusion to drop the petals. So you are looking for a setting that is tapered at the basket with pave stones down the band... I think you will be able to have a very pretty ring made! :appl:

kay1

Shiny_Rock
Don't worry, it's not all you, I think i've done a few circles with my logic today too! That last post helped me clarify in my head what i'm trying to achieve too :razz:

Yeah that's exactly what i'm looking for :) So I guess I have pictures of this original setting as an 'example' to show the designer where it comes to the band. Now i'm looking at ritani, vatche etc etc to try to find some prongs/setting bit that i like that I could use instead of the petals. If I can give both those to a designer i'm sure they can help me tweak them into a design that fits together.

I have to say this is a little bit more fun and interesting than picking a diamond and a pre-made setting :)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kay1|1394147706|3628918 said:
Oh and who would you recommend to actually make it for me?

There are several PS-trusted vendors that are normally recommended for custom work... Victor Canera, Steven Kirsch, ERD, Brian Gavin, Diamonds by Lauren, Leon Mege, etc... Erika Winters (formerly of JbEG) just started doing her own designs and they are fantastic if you wanted different!

Let me find some photos, so maybe you can tell me if I'm on the same page as you. :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't really find a photo of what you're talking about right now, but it's a very simple design that can be made. If I were you, I'd find the shape band you'd like (tapered in like you wanted) and then decide what type of pave style and have them present you with a drawing/CAD and go from there. :))

kay1

Shiny_Rock
I can't seem to figure out a minimalistic basket/setting for the diamond itself :/ They all seem to be based on the Neuvo or tiffany settings. Still searching. Maybe google images will help.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results