shape
carat
color
clarity

Environmentally-friendly burial methods

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Spin-off of a topic brought up in the Tiffany/divisive thread.

What are your thoughts on the non-traditional disposal of your remains?

Here’s one method that’s gaining traction:

I would very much prefer to give back to nature by allowing my corpse to decompose into organic matter to feed the soil and trees. If this movement led most people away from chemicals and nonbiodegradable caskets and cremation I believe there would be quite a positive impact on the environment. I’ve expressed my wishes to my family already and have started looking into the process of securing this plan.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... I would very much prefer to give back to nature by allowing my corpse to decompose into organic matter to feed the soil and trees. ...

I like that idea, or having my body left far out in wilderness to feed the critters and the plants.

I wonder if that's even legal in our "advanced" :rolleyes: USA.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a “green funeral.” Me, burlap sack, forest, dirt. No casket no liner no nothing.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read years ago that you can be made into a tree, apparently your cremated remains and a pine seed are placed in an environmentally friendly urn and buried in the ground.

It would be rather ironic and amusing for me since my husband is in the tree removal industry.

I think I would opt to be made into a reef and become a habitat for ocean animals.

seaurchin

Ideal_Rock
Personally, there's just something about unusual/creative burial arrangements that I find very unsettling but I might just be cremated and have my ashes scattered.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like that idea, or having my body left far out in wilderness to feed the critters and the plants.

I wonder if that's even legal in our "advanced" :rolleyes: USA.

It is legal, with conditions. The company, now Coeio, has a great FAQ section with guidance. Google "green burial" for your state and you can find info on the legalities fairly easily. I believe this particular suit has been around since 2011. State laws certainly vary; in my state (IN) if you own private, rural property (my family does) you may be able to establish a family cemetery and go about the burial process that way. Otherwise it's only legal to be buried in an already-established cemetery. There are also local ordinances to check into. I expect as more folks take interest in green burials the law will evolve along with it.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Oh wow. I didn't know you could do anything other than the casket or cremation because I had heard we were toxic and full of heavy metal. I would love to do something useful like feed a tree. This is awesome to hear!

Well, for me, culturally cremation is the more traditional/natural method to take care of the dead, and it’s at least better for the environment than burial. I’d probably go for the modern incinerator version as opposed to the traditional pyre version since they apparently do filter out the smoke produced.

I was reading about aquamation, and that seemed pretty cool, so if it becomes a widely available option when it’s my time that’s what I’d choose, along with being an organ donor.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
.... I had heard we were toxic and full of heavy metal. ...

Heavy metal?
I promise to leave my old platinum Gelin Abaci tension setting behind for my SO to sell as scrap.

I long to feel my corpse feeding life on earth.
That's more reasonable than what billions believe happens after death.
At least there's demonstrable evidence for my version of "life after death".

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm all for green, but with cremation. I've talked about it with my daughter. We'll keep up on what's available locally. I'm happy with the thought of fertilizing a tree or something.

MeowMeow

Brilliant_Rock
Heavy metal?
I promise to leave my old platinum Gelin Abaci tension setting behind for my SO to sell as scrap.

I long to feel my corpse feeding life on earth.
That's more reasonable than what billions believe happens after death.
At least there's demonstrable evidence for my version of "life after death".

Haha well I'm full of a different kind of metal. That type of music is my jam. But I meant like mercury. That kind of stuff. I heard it awhile back but I thought that's why humans aren't allowed to be buried under some tree somewhere anymore. But i would love to be wrong. Feeding a tree would just be so much more useful than sitting in a casket forever.

Tartansparkles

Brilliant_Rock
We have a woodland burial site in our region, I like the idea of being buried there - the coffin has to be cane, pine or cardboard (you'd think a cardboard coffin would be cheapish, but not really). A tree is planted along with a stone plaque if desired but no headstones.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From someone in the other thread that joked they would do the opposite of their partner's wishes. My psycho sister told me once that she must be buried so that a part of her is left on this earth. I'm so very tempted to tell her son that she wished to be cremated. I have evil thoughts. In truth, I will not get involved in any way at all.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We have green burial in my area where you can select an existing tree or have a tree planted over you. Burlap sack, hole, drop in, cover, done. It's what DH and I chose.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
From someone in the other thread that joked they would do the opposite of their partner's wishes. My psycho sister told me once that she must be buried so that a part of her is left on this earth. I'm so very tempted to tell her son that she wished to be cremated. I have evil thoughts. In truth, I will not get involved in any way at all.

Ha that was me.

I just do it to tease him. I think up the most ridiculously environmentally awful methods and say that’ll be it.

Yes we’re morbid.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We are avid mushroom hunter-gatherers in our family and my wonderful dad was evolved conscious and had a mighty unconventional streak, so he could totally have picked that option had it been available!
He chose cremation for the most eco friendly option at the time

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Double post

Last edited:

inne

Shiny_Rock
I like the idea of a green burial, but it also freaks me out a little bit! I don't know why.

I would like to be cremated.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
my SO told me if I go first he will feed me to the trees, and then go visit the trees. i thought that was sweet. i don't care, i'll be gone, but if we can do something that limits or avoids adding toxins to the earth so much the better.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
I know it’s probably not green, and probably a big trick on people’s emotions.... but I’ve told my daughter I’d like my ashes to be made into a diamond so she can “wear” me.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So admittedly I know very little about this topic but the link I shared above, if accurate, states cremation is not a green way to go.

snip:
“Green burial rejects cremation, embalming, and concrete-lined graves to reduce the carbon footprint of death. “

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly the way I’m disposed of when I’m dead doesn’t mean much to me so doing it in an environmentally friendly way is good. However I wish we could control how we die. That matters to me and all I can say is I hope it is in a very old (but with a sharp mind and able body) body and in my sleep. Preferably at the same time as Greg. That’s my ultimate wish.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In my will, I said my wish is to be creamated, but I'm optional to go with the cheapest method possible.

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Honestly the way I’m disposed of when I’m dead doesn’t mean much to me so doing it in an environmentally friendly way is good. However I wish we could control how we die. That matters to me and all I can say is I hope it is in a very old (but with a sharp mind and able body) body and in my sleep. Preferably at the same time as Greg. That’s my ultimate wish.

Hopefully where I live we will if passed laws for euthanasia. I want it on my terms especially if I will suffer or can’t look after myself. I dread the thought of people “nursing” me, washing, wiping, dressing. No thanks... and I don’t my child thinking she “has” too do it. I’m

My dad is 81 (very fit & healthy!), and he never wants to go to a home. I’ll do everything I can so he doesn’t have to go.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hopefully where I live we will if passed laws for euthanasia. I want it on my terms especially if I will suffer or can’t look after myself. I dread the thought of people “nursing” me, washing, wiping, dressing. No thanks... and I don’t my child thinking she “has” too do it. I’m

My dad is 81 (very fit & healthy!), and he never wants to go to a home. I’ll do everything I can so he doesn’t have to go.

Yes, I completely agree. It’s heartbreaking how people still have to suffer or take it upon themselves during a most horrific time to go to a state where they can find the ultimate in peace. :cry:

GoldenTouch

Shiny_Rock
Yes, I completely agree. It’s heartbreaking how people still have to suffer or take it upon themselves during a most horrific time to go to a state where they can find the ultimate in peace. :cry:

Yes... we treat our animals with more compassion. If you didn’t put down an animal who was suffering you could be charged with animal cruelty... but we let our loved ones suffer because they can’t legally make their own decisions whether they live or die.

I don’t want that for myself!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes... we treat our animals with more compassion. If you didn’t put down an animal who was suffering you could be charged with animal cruelty... but we let our loved ones suffer because they can’t legally make their own decisions whether they live or die.

I don’t want that for myself!

I am still haunted by my sweet babies deaths. But I know we did the right thing by them. And gave them the ultimate gift. Peace from suffering. :(

There’s a quote. “Better a day too early than a minute too late”
Sadly we never get that exactly right but we do our best and to do any less is selfish.
Our animals are the best of us. IMO.
And, truth be told, I prefer animals over many people.
But I digress. Sorry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results