shape
carat
color
clarity

English riders-is jumping safe?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Lorelei - I''m gonna carry this over to a new thread so as not to threadjack just wanted to comment further and talk about it a bit

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot say "thank you" enough to all of you. I so appreciate your input and advice and, especially, your experience.
36.gif

You have given me such a level of comfort that we are, so far, doing things "right" and also raised some issues that I need to discuss with my daughter's trainer. I can hear that so many of you have the same passion and love for riding that my daughter does and also that many of you have learned the same lessons-responsibility, discipline, etc. -that I hope she is learning.

Emm, Elrohwen, and everyone else, I'm glad that you raised the issue of whether 2 ft is high for a relatively inexperienced rider. It is something I will discuss with her trainer. She's been riding twice a week (once is Saturday "hang out at the barn" all day where they have lessons, ride different horses, bareback, etc.) for about 8 mos. and is sort of the star young student. Until this week, she's just been stepping over cross rails. Then my daughter asked to prepare for a show where there is an event called "clear round jumping" in which she will do a course with 3 jumps, the highest at 2 ft. Her trainer told me that she agreed but only b/c her "seat" has improved so much lately. Her trainer tends to not push although I notice that she expects more out of the more confident, competent riders (she tailors her intensity to each rider). She is also very strict about helmets and either checks the tack, especially the girth, or reminds the riders to do so. I am also planning an in-depth talk with my daughter about her goals and her comfort level.

I can't get over what a valuable resource this forum is! You guys are so helpful and knowledgeable. I look forward to many more "conversations". Now if I can just get the subscription feature to work so I can know what's going on in the forum!

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
You''re very welcome, Gayletmom, and I''m glad we could help! You''ll find that horse people love nothing less than to discuss their passion
2.gif

It sounds like your daughter''s trainer is conscientious and has safety in mind. In my personal opinion 2ft is still quite high for someone of her experience level, but it sounds like she''s getting a lot of riding in, which is really good. And I wish I could have a "hang out at the barn" day every week! That sounds like so much fun
5.gif

I hope you have a good talk with her trainer; I''m sure she''ll be more than happy to talk to you about her training plan and your daughter''s goals.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/11/2009 5:29:58 PM
Author: dragonfly411
Lorelei - I''m gonna carry this over to a new thread so as not to threadjack just wanted to comment further and talk about it a bit

Sorry, just got back on line and checked this thread, couldn''t have answered more eloquently than Lorelei!
28.gif

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
gayletmom - sounds like you are aware of what might need to be asked. It also sounds like your trainer is knowledgeable as well. If her seat is improved (if she does a lot of bareback riding I can imagine it has improved) then that is a valid explanation for the increase in what she is taught. The seat is the key to riding - the whole key! 2 feet isn''t much for a well trained well schooled horse. It is for an inexperienced rider. But it sounds like this might be an ok place for your daughter to be at this point in her riding. I will say this too - some kids are just naturals! And she might be one and might progress much faster. I know a few kids like that. makes me sick. Ha ha!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results