shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement ring surprise

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

suny27

Rough_Rock
There is a little jewelry store by my job I sometimes visit on lunch. Yesterday when I went in there was a young man trying to pick out an engagement ring for his girlfriend. It was the sweetest thing I instantly imagined Mr. Suny doing the same thing except I already picked out my own engagement ring. Mr. Suny and I have been talking about marriage for the past two years (or maybe that was just me lol) When i started lurking on PS I fell in love with antique diamonds and knew I had to have one for my engagement ring. Mr. Suny was clueless about diamonds and didn''t seem like he was interested in learning......so i started looking on my own. Then one fine day I found my ring and Mr. Suny agreed to purchase and hold until he is ready to propose. I love my ring but ...........maybe I should have let him do it on his own. Anyone else ever feel this way?

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, I understand where you''re coming from but I just can''t bring myself to risk not liking it. I know I''m supposed to love it because he picked it out but I just know too much about what I like to really think that is possible.

Also I justify it by reminding myself that I would NEVER in a MILLION YEARS spend a few thousand dollars on something for him without his input (and by input I mean basicly showing him what i want to get him and clearing that that is exactly what he wants).

I think once that beautiful ring is on your finger you''ll forget all about this worry.

Lofi

Shiny_Rock
I completely understand your thoughts on this. I even have the ring on my finger, and I sometimes wonder what he would have chosen if I hadn't have been so gosh darn particular. But at the end of the day, he wanted me to absolutely love and be completely satisfied with the ring, and I think it gives him peace of mind knowing that I tried on gazillions of rings and he got me "the one". So I'm sure your FF appreciated the guidance!!!

4ever

Ideal_Rock
I get what you mean, somtimes I wish I''d just let him do it himself. We did the same thing as you, found a ring we liked and he''s keeping it till the right time. I wonder what he would have chosen for me.....if I was a guy I''d have chosen something very ''safe'', but conventional styles just arn''t my cup of tea. I''m sure it would have been just as nice but maybe a little more common.

And then I would have missed out on jewlery shopping and trying stuff on and looking at sparklies
38.gif

lilyfoot

Brilliant_Rock
So, you saw the guy picking out a ring .. maybe he proposed and his girlfriend hated it?! You never know ..

I understand completely what you''re saying. We are using an heirloom diamond, and we chose the setting together. If it would''ve been up to him, he would''ve been at a maul store picking something out, and that is not cool with me.

Plus, I wanted something I really loved because I do not plan on ever upgrading or changing anything about my ring.
1.gif

radiantquest

Ideal_Rock
I picked my own out. There was no way I was going to leave it up to him. You should see what he would wear if it wasn''t for me. I looked and looked and when I found what I wanted I told him and he gave me the money to go put a deposit on it. I sometimes wonder what he would have picked for me. I know that he wanted an asscher, but with out budget it would have been less than a quarter carat for the quality to be right. I am so glad that I picked my own and I know that he is happy that I a happy.

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Originally I was looking at asschers and round diamonds. So that was pretty much what I was invisioning for myself. Then we tried on the setting I currently have and fell in love with it and cushion diamonds. I am glad I had some input on my ring since I''m the one wearing it forever. To be honest, I probably would like what he got me no matter what...but LOVE it....I am not soo sure since I''m pretty picky.

jaylex

Brilliant_Rock
Fiance and I picked out our ring together. And we''re BOTH so glad we did.

In the beginning... I knew more about diamonds than he did... and when people ask if we regret our decision, i''m quick to point out that I know relatively nothing about cars.. There would be NO WAY I would spend money on a car without consulting him first. Especially if he''d be the one driving the car.... for the rest of his life.

Fiance wanted me to be completely happy with my ering.. no upgrades... no regrets. It''s my forever ring and I love it! Plus I wanted him to get his moneys worth! I would have felt terrible if he had gone to some mall jewelry store and spent too much money for something of sub par quality.

Every time I look at my ring, I think about how amazing the proposal was.. but i also remember the 6 month process we went through to get it... looking at diamonds, searching for the "right" setting, picking the color gold (rose
30.gif
), having it custom made, seeing it finished and in the box.. until it was finally on my finger.

For us it totally worked out

I hope you can feel good about your ring.. and the fact that you have a future fiance that loves you so much that he wants to give you the ering you truly love! For a lot of guys, it can be hard to surrender that "control" of picking out the ring. He put you first :)

Skychick

Rough_Rock
Again I am the complete opposite!
3.gif

I do not want to go to the store with BF. I "accidentally" emailed him pics of rings I like so he knows what to look for in a ring. I want to be very surprised - I don''t even want to know that he is looking at rings, let alone that one has been purchased. I am fortunate that BF wears very nice earrings and watches so I know he will pick a winner!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results