shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Made in Dubai - opinions (pics attached)

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
Hi All,

Have just been sent some pics of the engagement ring I'm due to collect tomorrow. The ring was made by a jewellers in Dubai and the diamond was sourced from India.

I havent been able to see the diamond in real life yet, nor have I been able to get Idealscope images. Although it did have an HCA score of 0.6.

Would be keen to hear the experts opinions from the pics attached.

Thanks

pic_33.jpg

pic_34.jpg

pic_35.jpg

pic_36.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My only concern is how high the head (and diamond) is in comparison to the rest of the ring. It looks like a skyscraper and is likely to get hit/knocked about, caught on things and/or scratch someone.

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I can't stay on task because I can't get past your username of "tiny balls"!

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
I need you to stay on task.. FOCUS!! it's not symbolic of something else, if that helps :)

Do you think the head will need lowered? will it look a bit ridiculous?

Also in some of the pics the diamond looks a bit cloudy. Is that normal in photos? The ring spec is attached. It's a GIA, 1.21ct, VS2, F colour, no fluorescence.

Attachments

• gia_9.pdf
    705.9 KB · Views: 230

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Tiny,
The ring was made by using a shank, then simply soldering a head - and a very tall head at that.

Lowering it may or may not be possible by the bench that made it.
My preference, like Chrono's is for a much lower head for the reasons mentioned- and also because it looks nicer to my eye.
The fact that they put the ring together the way they did may indicate an inability to customize it.
Not a guarantee of that- but I have found that some shops can't do customizing of this sort well- and trying to get a bench to do something they don't normally do can lead to ...."unexpected" results....so make sure to ask them to show you samples of work they've done.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tinyballs|1416252926|3785281 said:
Also in some of the pics the diamond looks a bit cloudy. Is that normal in photos? The ring spec is attached. It's a GIA, 1.21ct, VS2, F colour, no fluorescence.

Your GIA report does have this Comment about clouds not shown on the plot.
Sometimes that can refer to cloudiness present and visible all over the stone ...
However, it does not state, "Clarity grade is based on clouds not shown", which I believe is more serious.
You may want to look into this if you are in the return period to exchange.
If it is one of the visibly-cloudy diamonds I'd exchange it for another that does not have this issue.

I'd view it next to a diamond of similar color and clarity but with no such note ... both diamonds scrupulously clean of course.

IMO I also think the diamond is set too high.
IMO lower would look better and snag on things less.

screen_shot_2014-11-17_at_3.png

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
Rockdiamond|1416257905|3785345 said:
Hi Tiny,
The ring was made by using a shank, then simply soldering a head - and a very tall head at that.

Lowering it may or may not be possible by the bench that made it.
My preference, like Chrono's is for a much lower head for the reasons mentioned- and also because it looks nicer to my eye.
The fact that they put the ring together the way they did may indicate an inability to customize it.
Not a guarantee of that- but I have found that some shops can't do customizing of this sort well- and trying to get a bench to do something they don't normally do can lead to ...."unexpected" results....so make sure to ask them to show you samples of work they've done.

thanks for the input rock. I had sent them this link for the band to replicate...

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/petite-diamond-engagement-ring-773.htm

They made the band in-house.

I'm sort of panicking a bit now because I will not be collecting the ring in person. A friend is picking it up and bringing it back for me. So I will have to rely on their judgement.

Once the £ is exchanged there is no going back, so I need to be sure.

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
kenny|1416260608|3785367 said:
tinyballs|1416252926|3785281 said:

Your GIA report does have this Comment about clouds not shown on the plot.
Sometimes that can refer to cloudiness present and visible all over the stone ...
However, it does not state, "Clarity grade is based on clouds not shown", which I believe is more serious.
You may want to look into this if you are in the return period to exchange.
If it is one of the visibly-cloudy diamonds I'd exchange it for another that does not have this issue.

I'd view it next to a diamond of similar color and clarity but with no such note ... both diamonds scrupulously clean of course.

IMO I also think the diamond is set too high.
IMO lower would look better and snag on things less.

Thanks Kenny, I will definitely have the diamond compared with a similar spec'd stone. It is due to be collected tomorrow.

I was always under the assumption that unless the comments section stated 'clarity grade based on...x/y/z' - then a GIA VS2 would be an acceptable eye clean, un-cloudy diamond? As these comments are just to inform the buyer that there are other inclusions but these are less serious than the allocated clarity grade.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
HI Tiny,
In general a VS2 RBC will be an eye clean diamond, but not always.
The comment on the GIA report pertaining to a VS2 diamond would not be of concern to me.
In the cases that I've seen of non eye clean VS2 diamonds, the imperfection was a crystal - either black or white. Not a cloud

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd echo previous concerns about the height of the head... and just eyeballing it, it doesn't look like the "cutaway" portion of the shank could easily accommodate a lower head. It also looks like the shank needs a good polishing.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Numbers are great on the stone. I think it's a nice choice.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably needs a good cleaning. ;-)

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
Thanks for everyones input!!

Not going to beat myself up over the band choice if its no good its no good - cost was approx £550 for the band so it's not the end of the world if it needs reset. Plus I'll be able to use re-use the diamonds.

My main concern was the centre diamond as it's were the bulk of the £ sits.

On VR Beauty's advice I've asked them to polish the shank again, so it's due to be collected on the 19th instead. Hopefully that will improve things.

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
So I went ahead with the ring and have to say I'm absolutely delighted! it looks amazing!!

Thankfully the head is not as pronounced in person. The sparkle of the centre diamond is unreal! The pics really do not do it justice.

I'd just like to say a final thank you to everyone on this forum. The place is a wonderful resource for uneducated consumers, and I have to say the chosen ring would have been much worse had I not stumbled across ps.

Keep up the great work TINY :)

_24381.jpg

_24382.jpg

_24383.jpg

_24384.jpg

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you're pleased TB. I was going to say my ER looks taller in a profile picture by itself because it's a size 4, so in proportion to a small circle it can look higher than it really looks on my hand. Best of luck to you!

EML

Rough_Rock
Hi - I love your ringand have been looking for something similar myself.

I am visiting Dubai soon and wonder if you could share the name of the shop where you had your ring made. I live in Cyprus so it is much easier for me to visit Dubai than the States! Thanks

tinyballs

Rough_Rock
EML|1416488781|3787152 said:
Hi - I love your ringand have been looking for something similar myself.

I am visiting Dubai soon and wonder if you could share the name of the shop where you had your ring made. I live in Cyprus so it is much easier for me to visit Dubai than the States! Thanks

Yes of course - cara jewellers. You will be able to find them online. I have to say the service was first class, I was very demanding and nothing was too much hassle. All my communication was via email and they were extremely responsive.

Good luck in your search!

lovefordiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! The ring is gorgeous. I don''t look the head looks as tall in the pictures you posted vs the glamour shots from the vendors. :appl:

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
Very pretty! You can always change or lower the head after if she find she's snagging it on things.

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Congrats again Tinyballs, you did a good job!

I'm off to Dubai in a couple of weeks and looking to buy our rings there.
Was metal was this ring and do you mind saying how much the whole ring cost?
For the engagement ring I'm hoping to find a round centre in a cushion halo with stones at the side or an oval halo.
I will go to Cara.

Thank you.

Spin-Elle

Rough_Rock
Strawberries1 said:
Congrats again Tinyballs, you did a good job!

I'm off to Dubai in a couple of weeks and looking to buy our rings there.
Was metal was this ring and do you mind saying how much the whole ring cost?
For the engagement ring I'm hoping to find a round centre in a cushion halo with stones at the side or an oval halo.
I will go to Cara.

Thank you.

Hi Strawberries,
I just wanted to say I went to Cara last year and their service was outstanding. I got a DBTY necklace and bracelet for myself and some gifts for family. The prices are very good. Make sure you know the current price of gold.
Please update us on your experiences in Dubai, once you return.
All the best!

Strawberries1

Shiny_Rock
Hi Spinelle,

I was torn between James Allen and Hatton Garden.

The wealth of knowledge on this forum caused me to lean strongly toward purchasing online as I cld get aset photos etc from James Allen but the opportunity to buy in Dubai feels like the best to go with.
I found some some good options in Hatton Garden and 77 Diamonds; was at the Jewelry Quater yesterday but didn't like anything.

I will begin my own thread now.

See you there and thanks again!
:angel:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results