shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Help

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well when it is put into these terms it makes the decision quite a bit easier. Thank you!

@sledge's comparison made me laugh... but, in all fairness, that Blue Nile stone is no where near a Pinto. It's not a branded super ideal, but it's a very nicely cut diamond. :) I think the main issue is the upgrade policy. Go with WF. Buy the largest ACA you can afford. No worries. Easy peasy.

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah you won't be disappointed with any of the WF ACA stones. Those are the Ferrari of diamond land.

The BN stone has questionable angles and no images to prove it's good or bad. I know it's not a Ferrari. I just don't know if it's a nice Corvette or a lowly Ford Pinto. Those images, if available, would confirm that very point.

Well when it is put into these terms it makes the decision quite a bit easier. Thank you!

Yea...sorry...finally have to post although I've been silently following along. Slegde is great at scaring our posters half to death when it comes to buying anything other than super ideal stones. But ok - in no way shape or form is the BN stone in question a Pinto. It might not be a super ideal, but you're not paying for that either as SimoneDi and Msop posted earlier, plus you're getting the 2ct mark and 2 grades better color. We scrutinize cut here until we're blue in the face but both of these stones would be in top 10% of all stones out there, with the super ideals being in the top 5% which you are obviously paying extra for. So I wouldn't call one a Ferrari and the other a Pinto but that's just me. Most people out there notice size first and then color. You don't really run into people scrutinizing/comparing cut unless you run into 2 or more of us PS nuts somewhere. Some people on PS want that peace of mind of the best cut possible - to others, there are factors more important. Here the WF upgrade policy would be worth going for the smaller stone if you will use it but I would definitely choose the larger, whiter, more affordable G if this is it.

Keep a few things in mind even about potentially upgrading - you may be in the position to keep the original stone and buy another outright in the future. Diamond prices increase over time and the out of pocket expense to upgrade down the line might be pretty similar at both vendors when you compare the costs.

I'm sure it'll be beautiful and your intended will be over the moon, regardless of what you choose.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone, just wanted to clarify I wasn't trying to scare anyone.

I did use Ferrari and Pinto. Also I used Corvette. More specifically I indicated without images we didn't know for sure where that BN stone fell.

I regret the terms used. Sorry for any confusion, angst or fear I created.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's what I told my DH when I upgraded.

A well cut GIA XXX is a Porsche Boxter
An AGS 000 is a Porsche 911.
A super ideal cut ACA (among others HPD etc.) is a Porsche 911 Turbo.

This was the only analogy he could understand! :wall::wall::wall:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's what I told my DH when I upgraded.

A well cut GIA XXX is a Porsche Boxter
An AGS 000 is a Porsche 911.
A super ideal cut ACA (among others HPD etc.) is a Porsche 911 Turbo.

This was the only analogy he could understand! :wall::wall::wall:

LOL great analogy actually. Unfortunately as a car guy that likes to go fast you would have only encouraged me to go for the 911 Turbo!

Black and 6-speed please....:cool2:

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you. I stayed up last night thinking and looking at these two and I am currently leaning towards the WF. The reason for this is although SO says she won't want to upgrade, I now keeping thinking this would change and for me personally, I like the idea of being able to gradually go up in color or even size for future anniversaries. Again, that sounds nice to me but I don't know if SO would feel the same way in ten years or not so there is some uncertainty. I think the comfort of knowing it is an option just makes me feel better.

But I still want to ask you as you said the BN is clearly the winner here. With that being said, is the WF quite a bit a ways off and you think we will be disappointed? Or is it still a solid choice but you just would prefer the BN head to head with all things being equal? I value your opinion on this as I plan on making a final decision tomorrow.

Thanks!

First and foremost, you need to be comfortable with this decision. This is a very expensive purchase and anything that helps ease your decision is a good thing.

You have obviously noticed that there are people with strong opinions on this site. I don’t think that there is a right or wrong decision here. The likelihood is that you and your SO will love either of the choices. Super-ideals are obviously great diamonds, but I really think that it takes a special audience to appreciate them. That is not to say that they are not worth it for anyone else, they just come at a hefty premium and my recommendation of the BN stone here is incentivized by your SOs desire to not upgrade and to attain the 2ct mark. Also by the fact that it is a much whiter diamond.

I will tell you a story, back in the day when I was a new poster like sledge, I had similar to his beliefs that super ideals triumph all other diamonds and that everyone should try to get one and sacrifice color and all else. I helped a friend select a ring and he ended up buying a super ideal diamond that actually retailed at about the same price as GIA xxx. The stone was under 1ct. Now, a few years later, his wife wants to upgrade the stone and she recently told me “I wish that we didn’t buy a super ideal because GIA stones are less expensive and I can’t see the difference in cut. Now I can’t get the color and carat weight I want, if I am to upgrade with the same vendor”. I wish that I wasn’t so persuasive back then because that is not serving them well now. Not everyone sees the value in “super ideals”.

Once again, there is no right or wrong answer here. WF and BN are both excellent vendors. WF have one of the best upgrade policies out there and they are wonderful to work with. BN are still the leader in online diamond retail. Just think about your and your SOs priorities and finances. Don’t forget that with frequent upgrades more often than not, the setting needs to be changed as well. Take your time with this decision, you have two great options.

Last edited:

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@SimoneDi definitely has a point here! Oftentimes a super ideal upgrade will be double the cost of the original stone anyway since most people want to upgrade size and not sacrifice color or clarity. When speaking of larger stones, it takes a bigger jump in carat weight to actually see it, thus it can double the cost! And don't forget about setting costs. That can add up too (a lot in some cases).

These are both great stones. I don't think you can go wrong either way.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey everyone, just wanted to clarify I wasn't trying to scare anyone.

I did use Ferrari and Pinto. Also I used Corvette. More specifically I indicated without images we didn't know for sure where that BN stone fell.

I regret the terms used. Sorry for any confusion, angst or fear I created.

I don't think you were trying to scare him away. :) That said, we can tell from the specs (and photo/video) that the BN stone is a very well cut stone -- not a Pinto. I guess what I'm trying to say is that we can know for sure the BN stone isn't "Pinto-status"... ;-) The angles work. It's a very nicely cut diamond. Also, as @SimoneDi pointed out, it's 2 shades whiter and is over 2ct.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yea...sorry...finally have to post although I've been silently following along. Slegde is great at scaring our posters half to death when it comes to buying anything other than super ideal stones. But ok - in no way shape or form is the BN stone in question a Pinto. It might not be a super ideal, but you're not paying for that either as SimoneDi and Msop posted earlier, plus you're getting the 2ct mark and 2 grades better color. We scrutinize cut here until we're blue in the face but both of these stones would be in top 10% of all stones out there, with the super ideals being in the top 5% which you are obviously paying extra for. So I wouldn't call one a Ferrari and the other a Pinto but that's just me. Most people out there notice size first and then color. You don't really run into people scrutinizing/comparing cut unless you run into 2 or more of us PS nuts somewhere. Some people on PS want that peace of mind of the best cut possible - to others, there are factors more important. Here the WF upgrade policy would be worth going for the smaller stone if you will use it but I would definitely choose the larger, whiter, more affordable G if this is it.

Keep a few things in mind even about potentially upgrading - you may be in the position to keep the original stone and buy another outright in the future. Diamond prices increase over time and the out of pocket expense to upgrade down the line might be pretty similar at both vendors when you compare the costs.

I'm sure it'll be beautiful and your intended will be over the moon, regardless of what you choose.

I second @ac117 I'm no expert, but I'm confident that the BN diamond would not be considered a dud by anyone's standards and is not a "pinto" as compared to the WF.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matty23... after really thinking about what you said about your girl regarding upgrading, I think you should honor her wishes, which were 2+ct and no desire to upgrade. As was mentioned by @ceg, you may end up spending twice as much anyway should she change her mind and want to upgrade. So based on what your girl wants (and that is what's really important here), I think my choice for you (and her) would be the BN stone. It's a beauty.

ETA: sorry if I seem to be waffling, but I truly think she'd be blown away by the BN stone. It checks all the boxes, is very well cut, AND is super white to boot!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would like to clarify my position here. I love wf for several reasons - I am local to them and like supporting a local business, they have unbelievable customer service, and their diamonds are top of the line. I am a fangirl, lol.

With that said, the BN stone checks all of your boxes. It will be GORGEOUS! You can't know the future and she may not want to upgrade ever or for a long time. My experience is that life gets in the way of upgrades when just married. Homes, kids, lots of expenses. I didn't even consider an upgrade until we were married 16 years. But I did do a few years before the huge expenses of college start - I saw my window of opportunity, lol!

@Matty23... after really thinking about what you said about your girl regarding upgrading, I think you should honor her wishes, which were 2+ct and no desire to upgrade. As was mentioned by @ceg, you may end up spending twice as much anyway should she change her mind and want to upgrade. So based on what your girl wants (and that is what's really important here), I think my choice for you (and her) would be the BN stone. It's a beauty.

ETA: sorry if I seem to be waffling, but I truly think she'd be blown away by the BN stone. It checks all the boxes, is very well cut, AND is super white to boot!
I tend to agree with this line of thinking as well. I had no intention of upgrading my diamond when we were getting engaged. I still feel that way (granted, it's only been 5 years so maybe DSS hasn't set in yet *shrug*). Plus, you never know if instead of upgrading, maybe she'd want a 5-stone band instead, or to change up the setting because her tastes have changed, etc.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey @Matty23, just curious what you decided?

I thought of another car analogy tonight. I was selling an RV camper and the guy showed up with an older single cab Chevy truck. I was curious if he had the capacity to tow my 30' rig if he bought it and we started talking engines, gearing, etc.

Anyhow he had a 4.8 V8 in it with 3.23 gears. Not exactly pulling material but he can probably squeak by. Made me think about years ago when I had a similar Chevy truck but with the 5.3 V8 and 3.73 gears. As you probably know the 4.8 is the modern replacement to the older 5.0 liter 305 V8 and the 5.3 replaces the older 5.7 liter 350 V8.

Anyhow, it was and still is more preferred to have the 5.3 now (and 350 back in the day). Better yet the 6.0 liter with Allison transmission!

For whatever reason I thought of the BN stone as the 4.8 and the WF as the 5.3.

Not really sure what diamond pairs with my Hemi 5.7 liter with 8 speed transmission (courtesy of Mercedes/Daimler Chrysler platform sharing) and 3.92 gears. It can outpull and outrun about anything in its class except a gas station. :lol:

Anyhow excited to know the direction you are going. Let us know!

Matty23

Rough_Rock
The update is after wrestling with this all day and severely leaning towards the BN, I cracked and showed SO both options- it was making me too stressed making such a big purchase without her helping to pick. I did my best to explain everything about both and showed her the pictures/videos and she picked the WF. I think the way they make the videos sparkle is unfair to the other vendors but that sucked her in. She was totally fine with the carat being a little less than 2 and doesn’t mind the color difference because based on previous in person experience, she was not too color sensitive. Also, I think she prefers WF because that is where she found the band that she liked initially even if we end up going with one of the other vendors to make it for a bit less.
All this to say I am still torn about it. All of these posts today had me leaning hard for the BN and I wish I could just have both in my hand to make the call easier. I really hope this isn’t a mistake- but i would feel the exact same if I picked either one because this has been so hard. I at least take solace in the comment about both being in the top 10% of diamonds.
And I want to sincerely thank every single person that took the time out of their day to comment and help a stranger pick out an engagement ring. It really was a blessing to have so much help and at least narrow it down to a few winners. So thanks again and I hope I didn’t disappoint anyone by going one way over the other. I will be sending any friends that are looking for rings in the future to PS!

The update is after wrestling with this all day and severely leaning towards the BN, I cracked and showed SO both options- it was making me too stressed making such a big purchase without her helping to pick. I did my best to explain everything about both and showed her the pictures/videos and she picked the WF. I think the way they make the videos sparkle is unfair to the other vendors but that sucked her in. She was totally fine with the carat being a little less than 2 and doesn’t mind the color difference because based on previous in person experience, she was not too color sensitive. Also, I think she prefers WF because that is where she found the band that she liked initially even if we end up going with one of the other vendors to make it for a bit less.
All this to say I am still torn about it. All of these posts today had me leaning hard for the BN and I wish I could just have both in my hand to make the call easier. I really hope this isn’t a mistake- but i would feel the exact same if I picked either one because this has been so hard. I at least take solace in the comment about both being in the top 10% of diamonds.
And I want to sincerely thank every single person that took the time out of their day to comment and help a stranger pick out an engagement ring. It really was a blessing to have so much help and at least narrow it down to a few winners. So thanks again and I hope I didn’t disappoint anyone by going one way over the other. I will be sending any friends that are looking for rings in the future to PS!
I'm sorry but your post totally made me smile. :mrgreen: I think it's great that she got to give input on it and was able to make the decision for you guys! Plus, it's going to look and feel totally different when the diamond is actually in a setting, so there's still going to be an element of surprise there. If it makes you feel any better, at the end of the day, you can't go wrong with either stone. Now go enjoy this milestone in your relationship!

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As I said before, I would wager my first born that this stone won't disappoint.

Awesome choice!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on the choice!

When you say WF, are we correct to assume the 1.957? Or one of the others?

I think your girl chose well. You really did get a premium diamond. I'd say it is higher than the top 10%.

If you decide to go custom, post back the CADs and we will help with that too. Otherwise congrats and don't forget to post some final pics

Matty23

Rough_Rock
I'm sorry but your post totally made me smile. :mrgreen: I think it's great that she got to give input on it and was able to make the decision for you guys! Plus, it's going to look and feel totally different when the diamond is actually in a setting, so there's still going to be an element of surprise there. If it makes you feel any better, at the end of the day, you can't go wrong with either stone. Now go enjoy this milestone in your relationship!
Thank you so much! :)

Matty23

Rough_Rock
Congrats on the choice!

When you say WF, are we correct to assume the 1.957? Or one of the others?

I think your girl chose well. You really did get a premium diamond. I'd say it is higher than the top 10%.

If you decide to go custom, post back the CADs and we will help with that too. Otherwise congrats and don't forget to post some final pics
Yes, the 1.957... and I sure will!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium

There was definitely no right or wrong decision here so I'm glad you looped in your SO and gave her the choice! It will be a stunner :mrgreen2:

Matty23

Rough_Rock
Congratulations! I don't think you could have made a wrong decision here and I am sure you will both love it. Best wishes to you both!
Thank you so much!!

Matty23

Rough_Rock
There was definitely no right or wrong decision here so I'm glad you looped in your SO and gave her the choice! It will be a stunner :mrgreen2:
I hope so! Thank you very much! :)

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matty23 it is awesome that you included your SO in the decision making. It is the most important that she is pleased with the ring as we will be wearing it and that you are confident and comfortable with this decision! The completed ring will be stunning. Don’t second doubt your choice anymore, together you selected well.

Make sure to come back with pics! :)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:
Yeah you won't be disappointed with any of the WF ACA stones. Those are the Ferrari of diamond land.

The BN stone has questionable angles and no images to prove it's good or bad. I know it's not a Ferrari. I just don't know if it's a nice Corvette or a lowly Ford Pinto. Those images, if available, would confirm that very point.
Matty, Congrats on your new Ferrari !:lol::love: :clap:

:think:...I wonder how many PSers on this thread have actually seen a Pinto on the street?. I know most of you weren't born yet. :bigsmile:

Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol:
Matty, Congrats on your new Ferrari !:lol::love: :clap:

:think:...I wonder how many PSers on this thread have actually seen a Pinto on the street?. I know most of you weren't born yet. :bigsmile:

Lol yeah well I haven't driven one but I saw one. They are hideous, lol.

But I know lots of old cars. Old classic muscle cars are my thing so know a little about a lot of old stuff.

You might appreciate this -- missed a 78 Scout II for $450 yesterday! So wanted to build me another offroad toy. Oh well.

Matty23

Rough_Rock
@Matty23 it is awesome that you included your SO in the decision making. It is the most important that she is pleased with the ring as we will be wearing it and that you are confident and comfortable with this decision! The completed ring will be stunning. Don’t second doubt your choice anymore, together you selected well.

Make sure to come back with pics! :)
Thank you for your kind words :) Now that the decision is made I will enjoy every second going forward!

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matty23, I just got caught up on this thread, and I'm sooo happy you let your SO make the decision! I don't think you could've made a wrong decision with those stones, and it's obvious you want nothing more than to make her happy. Make sure to come back and post pics of the CADs if you choose to go custom or pics of the finished product if you go for the stock setting!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matty23 great choice. It's gonna be a beauty! Don't forget about us - we will want pictures!!

@sledge some of our cars IMG_2831.JPG IMG_2832.JPG IMG_3720.JPG
Those are beautiful cars!. Ringo please start a thread about your classic muscle cars on HO. I love em! :love: 69 GTO? 70 Chevelle SS LS6 Convertible? :bigsmile:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results