shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring - Cushion

Program4444

Rough_Rock
Hi, all. Complete newbie here. It's getting close to time to pop the question, so on the hunt for an engagement ring. To start, I know NOTHING about diamonds, so I've spent the last couple weeks reading up.

I know she would love a cushion cut solitaire on a thin gold band with white fittings. Sounds strange to me, but what momma wants, momma gets I guess. :)

That said, from all my research, cushion cut diamonds seem like a real pain to pick out. I know there are multiple 'cut' types, and lots of considerations. Here's the bottom line -- she will be happy with anything I get her - it's not about the ring (but we all know it's important, right?). But, I want to get her something as nice as possible. What I am looking for is something in the 2 carat range and budget for the diamond maxes out around $14,000.

From what I am reading, brilliant cut gives more surface area, so will make the ring look a little bigger. Is that accurate? Again, as a guy who has never bought a diamond, this stuff is intimidating. If anyone sees something that fits the bill, please let me know.

Appreciate y'all.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have color specs/clarity specs you might want to post those. Do you want square or elongated? (I like elongated but they're
a little harder to find). PSers can provide links to nice stones...

For example
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.80-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-9139576 cushion cut like round brilliant
This has a little leakage around the edge of the table but I still like it...its got a nice shape

Anyway, just a few to get you started and to further the conversation. (I did not look at any of the reports on these stones.)

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Cushions have a lot of different flavors. They also face up smaller than other sizes. Pay attention to the MM size, not just the carat weight.

There are a lot of different options. Do you have preferences for l/w ratios? More square? More elongated?

Smaller than you want by a lot, but this is what I would consider a modern cushion with a defined facet pattern. Do you want something like this (not considering the size of this stone, it is an example of a type of faceting).

Here is another example of a cushion modified brilliant in a more "real life" video. You can see that it is a similar faceting style.

A yellow stone, so ignore that, but this is more a "crushed ice" style.

If you can give a bit more guidance, I think people can help you. Do you like more defined facets, crushed ice, etc.?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one...

would be good to have an aset for this one (actually, if any of them have asets that would be good)
(same stone with an aset and cheaper)

Edit...Victor has some nice ones

Last edited:

Program4444

Rough_Rock
Wow, I had a busy day at work, pop back over here and see all these replies. Thanks so much. I will try to address everything:

Looking at the links (thanks!!) I seem to like the modified brilliant look best. In looking at pics online, I do not think I like the crushed ice style.

As for shape, perhaps more elongated. I'm really open to whatever makes it look more significant on her finger. The same goes for the other aspects. I would love opinions on what is more impactful - better color or clarity? I had been looking at some that are G in color and others that were D. Will her eye really see a difference in those colors?

So to summarize, and this isn't gospel as I readily admit I don't know what I don't know:

Cushion
prefer modified brilliant
Budget roughly $14K for diamond
looking around 2 carats
color G or under
Clarity (??? Not sure what's best)
Prefer to optimize for good look and largest possible surface area

Again, can't tell you how much I appreciate the help.

Off to dig in to all the links.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. IMHO high color + blue fluorescence will pop out. But not everyone likes that look.

Does she care about facets? Big n chunky, angular, crushed ice? Does she care about square or elongated? If she wants a cushion she probably does have those preferences and has a certain look in mind. Did she show you photos? If you can post an example photo of what she says she likes then we can start with a ratio and faceting pattern, then move on to the other details.

lmyracle

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Here's the PS thread - seems like a great bargain!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Here's the PS thread - seems like a great bargain!

That's a wonderful option with a setting that will hold up beautifully! You couldn't make the ring for that price.

Program4444

Rough_Rock
Hi, all. Sorry for the delay in getting back to this thread. That said, I am happy to report I have a little more information on what my lady likes. She inevitably brought up the ring again and so as we talked she had no idea of crushed ice and when she saw it she was not a fan. I'll try and paste below an image of one she liked. I was also wrong on shape. She much prefers a square over the rectangle.

I'm slowly but surely honing in...

Cushion
square - with as much surface area as possible
brilliant cut
Good color (G range)
VS1 range

Once again, I appreciate all the help!

1618927027313.png

elizat

Ideal_Rock
If you stick to VS1 and above, you'll limit the options a bit. You won't see inclusions with a VS2 stone. The videos are super magnified. However, if VS1 or above, is mind clean, then that's okay too.

If you are interested in any stones, put them on HOLD. They are lurkers. I would also ask if you can get an ASET for the stones, which will help you determine light leakage.

The stones below are not my personal favorites, but they hit the VS1 and above, G color request and look similar to the facet pattern you want.

I found this, but smaller than you want, but hits your color, clarity and general facet pattern request. It's essentially a square. 6.84 x 6.82 mm.

Same stone, but on Blue Nile.

More elongated. 7.26 x 6.88

This comes right in at budget with wire payment, but I think it's going to be too dark watching the video. 7.24 x 7.18.

also, take a look at the stones @tyty333 posted originally. I think some of those fit the bill.

Last edited:

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
<a href="http://loupetroop.com/listings/ring...-with-2-dot-01-h-vs2-modern-cushion-solitaire">Victor Canera pave 4 prong solitaire size 5 with 2.01 H- VS2 modern cushion solitaire on Loupe Troop</a> Did you see this one??

I was just about to suggest this one! I posted it on another thread where someone was looking for a cushion engagement ring, but think he ultimately decided to pass. OP, don't think you could get anything better than this for the price, TBH, especially since its never even been worn!

Program4444

Rough_Rock
If you stick to VS1 and above, you'll limit the options a bit. You won't see inclusions with a VS2 stone. The videos are super magnified. However, if VS1 or above, is mind clean, then that's okay too.

If you are interested in any stones, put them on HOLD. They are lurkers. I would also ask if you can get an ASET for the stones, which will help you determine light leakage.

The stones below are not my personal favorites, but they hit the VS1 and above, G color request and look similar to the facet pattern you want.

I found this, but smaller than you want, but hits your color, clarity and general facet pattern request. It's essentially a square. 6.84 x 6.82 mm.

Same stone, but on Blue Nile.

More elongated. 7.26 x 6.88

This comes right in at budget with wire payment, but I think it's going to be too dark watching the video. 7.24 x 7.18.

also, take a look at the stones @tyty333 posted originally. I think some of those fit the bill.

Appreciate all this information. I'm the first to admit I am in over my head here. So with a VS2 you won't be able to see the inclusions? I was simply shooting for the midish point of the scale when I said VS1. You read so many articles and forums that you don't know which way is up.

So say a F-g in a VS2 is doable and would make for a lovely stone still?

Thanks!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Appreciate all this information. I'm the first to admit I am in over my head here. So with a VS2 you won't be able to see the inclusions? I was simply shooting for the midish point of the scale when I said VS1. You read so many articles and forums that you don't know which way is up.

Thanks!

You will not see inclusions even in a VS2, without using a loupe or microscope.

Generally speaking most SI1 stones are eye clean as well. Some that are SI2 can also be eye clean, but the best advice is to always ask when you are looking at an SI2 to be sure. If you open up your clarity window I think you'll be able to find more stones. When you see those specifications, they are considering what blemishes and inclusions are visible under 10x magnification. When you are looking at what you can see with a naked eye, it is very different. There are some inclusions that you can see in a stone that is rated SI at times. But there are also many slightly included stones even SI2 stones, that will be eye clean and present a good value.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Thanks!

VS2 means you almost certainly won't see anything without magnification (with very rare exceptions). And G is typically a nice "sweet spot" for still looking very white while not being as $$ as D-F.

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMHO, since cushions really can vary in shape, facets, and overall appearance, I would have your fiancé help you pick out the stone. I love cushions...but only certain cuts and facet pattern. So you may pick out a beautiful cushion, but it might not be her preferred cut.

Program4444

Rough_Rock
IMHO, since cushions really can vary in shape, facets, and overall appearance, I would have your fiancé help you pick out the stone. I love cushions...but only certain cuts and facet pattern. So you may pick out a beautiful cushion, but it might not be her preferred cut.

I wish!! I tossed that idea out there a couple weeks ago and was told this was up to me. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results