shape
carat
color
clarity

Engagement Ring Advice

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SteveM

Rough_Rock
I have spent the last few weeks educating myself about buying a diamond engagement ring. I started buy going into jewelery stores to learn the basics and get a ballpark idea of what to expect. Then I researched gemologists in the area that were recommended by the American Gem Society. The recommended gemologist introduced me to 8 star diamonds. After talking with her and veiwing the difference in diamonds under the fire scope, I am leaning toward 8 star. I have a couple of issues though. First, I do not know whether the jewelers asking price is too high. I do not know whether it is appropraite to try to negotiate the price down. Consequently I have a couple of questions that I would greatly appreciate the forum helping me with. First, how can I find out the prices to expect for 8 star diamonds? Am I approaching my engagement ring search the correct way? I have not asked advice from any friends and family because I want to make it a surprise. The dangerous part of this approach is that I have nobody to bounce my ideas and questions off of.

homer_j

Shiny_Rock
Welcome to the forum SteveM!

Bounce away. I don't know anything about 8*, but there are folks here who do and I'm sure they will come around and answer your questions. For starters, go back to the pricescope home page and read up on the tutorial section. You can also run a search in this forum for Eight Start diamonds. That should provide you with a lot more info. Good luck and keep posting.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Run an archive search as Homer suggested, 8* is always being discussed. Expect around a 30-40% markup on an 8* stone over a regular H&A stone. They are pricey. Those who purchase usually feel they are worth it, I saw them in person at a jeweler and thought they looked good, but not for 30% more...I didn't see anything so amazing that I was willing to pay the extra $$ over an 'ideal' stone the same store had.

Also I don't think that the 8* pricing is really negotiable, maybe a slight amount but they only cut a certain number of stones per year to keep the market tight and pricing where they want it. So if you don't want to pay for that 8*, another surely will!
1.gif

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results