shape
carat
color
clarity

engagement gift for the guy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
When we started talking about getting engaged, my FF mentioned that he would want something too. After all, it''s not fair if I get a diamond ring and he gets nothing. I agree with him so every now and then when he sees something really expensive that he wants he''ll suggest it as an engagement present.

Recently one of his best friends bought a huge plasma tv and now that''s what he wants. We went to look at the plasma tvs, but they were a bit out of our price range. The projection screen ones, however seemed to fit nicely. He found a 56" one that he really really likes and wanted to buy immediately. I convinced him that he needs to research the different kinds of tvs more and figure out what it is EXACTLY that he wants since it''s not like we can bring it back in a few months when he knows more and wants something else.

It was kind of funny, I think I finally understand how guys feel when they''re ring shopping with us. My FF is really into technology (he''s a software engineer) so he knew a lot about what he wanted, but he still has a lot to learn (he reminded me of me at the beginning of my diamond search
1.gif
). The one he''s in love with costs a bit more than my ring
8.gif
, but best buy has 18 month free financing so the monthly payments would actually be a bit less. I have the money to pay for the whole thing now, but it would make me nervous to drop my savings that low, so I convinced him that we need to wait until I find a job (I''m job searching since I just moved to this state about a month ago to be with him). He seemed pretty disappointed that we couldn''t buy it RIGHT NOW and it was cute because I''m sure that''s how I looked when we bought the ring and he told me I couldn''t have it yet. I also told him that it wouldn''t be fair if he got his engagement present now and I had to wait (possibly months!) for mine. I think he might be starting to understand how hard it is to wait for something you really really want. Maybe I''ll be getting that ring a bit sooner than he''d originally planned
2.gif

The tv he wants needs to have the bulbs replaced every 2 years or so and from what the guy in the store told us, they cost about $250. This along with the fact that it costs a bit more than the ring to start out with just might help me in my negotiations for a different setting some day
31.gif
. I''m bad. I know.

Is anyone else getting their guy an engagement present?

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
The ''typical'' enagement gift for a guy is a watch...

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Too funny! This is exactly what I''m doing for my guy, but he doesn''t know it yet. I''m keeping that a secret! He''s been looking at plasmas for a long time and we have an exposed brick wall in our narrow row house that is "screaming for a plasma" so that''s the perfect occasion for me to buy it. It will cost 1/2 to 1/3 of what my ring will probably be, so it seems reasonable, plus it will really surprise him, and we can enjoy it together.

I''m all for it!

As for the watch as traditional, it may be, but I already got him a nice watch for his 30th birthday and replacing it would be redundant. He''d much rather have the tv!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
There are a couple of other threads about this:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/man-engagement-gift.41174/

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/calling-all-men-whats-your-dream-engagement-gift.18712/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/engagement-present-for-a-man.38422/

Just in case you run out of ideas.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll be getting D another guitar when the time comes. He has a huge collection of them but theres one hes really after so I would love to get him that one if I can afford it

blodthecat

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is really nice for the guy to get an engagement gift. As someone has already posted, it usually tends to be a watch.

Bloody hell though....a 56" screen! Isn''t that going to dominate your whole room?

Perhaps you could talk him down a bit in size?

Blod

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 1:15:50 PM
Author: blodthecat

Bloody hell though....a 56'' screen! Isn''t that going to dominate your whole room?
Perhaps you could talk him down a bit in size?

Blod

That IS huge! Is your room big enough for a 56"? If he says it is, remind him that your finger is big enough for a 2 ct.!
31.gif

I guess I''m lucky that our house is only about 14'' wide, so the max screen size we can handle is 42". Fortunately, he agrees. A 42" plasma is a lot more affordable, though definitely still a luxury item!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
I''m actually pushing for the 65". The monthly payments would only be about $30 more and I don''t want him to wish that we''d spent the extra money for the bigger tv in a few months. This tv is going to need to last for a really long time. He actually does like this one watch, but it''s a fossil and probably only costs about $200 at the most. I''d feel really bad if I got him something that wasn''t even close to the price of the ring.

I was thinking and I guess it''s ok if this costs more than the ring since we will both be able to use and enjoy it whereas all he cares about the ring is that I love it.

Our apartment has the room, but it will take up the majority of the wall.

I would never attempt to buy this for him as a surprise. He knows so much more about technology than I do and it would be like him not letting me help with the ring.

I don''t know that I''d actually want a 2 ct. It''s a bit too big for my taste (I actually tried some on, even tried on a 3 ct w/ a halo. It looked so ridiculous on my little finger!). He has, however, changed his size preference for diamonds since we first started looking. Originally he thought anything over 3/4 was too big. I convinced him to come look at the .93 that we ended up getting even though he was sure it would look too big. He thought it was the perfect size and now says that anything over 1.5 ct is too big. Lol. I don''t think that I''ll ever upgrade the stone. Maybe the setting. My mom has a 1.5 and she''s always telling me that someday it will be mine.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
Get the ring first! Then get the TV. Best Buy always has good specials and prices might even go down between now and then.

I bought my DH a rolex watch when we got engaged. He loves it!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/19/2006 1:47:16 PM
Author: robbie3982
I''m actually pushing for the 65''. The monthly payments would only be about $30 more and I don''t want him to wish that we''d spent the extra money for the bigger tv in a few months. This tv is going to need to last for a really long time. He actually does like this one watch, but it''s a fossil and probably only costs about $200 at the most. I''d feel really bad if I got him something that wasn''t even close to the price of the ring.

I was thinking and I guess it''s ok if this costs more than the ring since we will both be able to use and enjoy it whereas all he cares about the ring is that I love it.

Our apartment has the room, but it will take up the majority of the wall.

I would never attempt to buy this for him as a surprise. He knows so much more about technology than I do and it would be like him not letting me help with the ring.

I don''t know that I''d actually want a 2 ct. It''s a bit too big for my taste (I actually tried some on, even tried on a 3 ct w/ a halo. It looked so ridiculous on my little finger!). He has, however, changed his size preference for diamonds since we first started looking. Originally he thought anything over 3/4 was too big. I convinced him to come look at the .93 that we ended up getting even though he was sure it would look too big. He thought it was the perfect size and now says that anything over 1.5 ct is too big. Lol. I don''t think that I''ll ever upgrade the stone. Maybe the setting. My mom has a 1.5 and she''s always telling me that someday it will be mine.

It''s ok if it doesn''t cost as much as the ring because "a diamond is forever" and a tv will become obsolete eventually... of course, it''s ok if it costs more than the ring too!

Your apartment may have the room now, but how long will you live there? Are you guys thinking about buying a place? Are you SURE you can find a place that can handle such a big tv? Just things to consider, definitely not trying to discourage you!

I''m only going to surprise him with the idea of the tv... I was thinking about just buying it and having it installed and saying "surprise!" but he''s suddenly really interested in them even though he knows nothing about them... I''m the gadget geek in this relationship. His best friend has one and has been teaching me stuff, but since I DO get to pick out my ring, I could probably be persuaded to let him pick out his tv.

I was just kidding about the 2 ct. thing! It''s not for everybody, that''s for sure, but hey, if he''s spending your money, you can spend his!
2.gif

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
I would read epinions or consumer reports. I really can''t see spending that much on a TV because they will literally be half that price or less in another 2 years. At least a diamond lasts forever, plus they go up in price/value every year. And, you can get lifelong replacement insurance, unlike a TV.

Speaking of which, we got a giant flat tube sony today, our old panasonic died. I can''t see going into debt to buy electronics, they break so easily and they are so expensive to fix. our panasonic lasted 5 years and 2 months, and cost more to repair than a new one is worth.

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Do you mean the ones with the projectors and a speperate screen like the movies? If so Consumer reports lists these as its best buys. I have put them in the order of quality according to consumer reports. Epson Powerlite Cinema 500, Sharp SharpVision XV-Z2000, Sony Cineza VPL-HS51, InFocus ScreenPlay 4805. The price range on all of them is $1,300-3,500.
If I miss understood and you are looking at a different type of TV I can look at what CR says about that kind.

RoseAngel04

Brilliant_Rock
I mentioned to whole "engagement gift for the guy" thing to my ff and he was like HUH?
33.gif
I then explained and he was like oh sounds good. Not that he''s expecting it, but since he will be spending mucho
22.gif
for the ring, i''d like to give him something in return.

My ff recently purchased on LCD (he''s not a plasma fan, has heard bad things about them) TV and is so excited!
9.gif
He''s into all that high tech stuff and did a lot of research online with consumer ratings etc before choosing the right LCD to purchase. It should be here around Friday. I can''t wait to see the awesome screen in his living room. So buying that for his engagement present is def out of the question. He has mentioned he wants this new high tech DVD player w/ a surround sound system that is the same brand/color of his new LCD TV that would be a perfect gift. That is if I get engaged to by the end of the year.
31.gif
If not, i''ll probablly give that to him for his Christmas present.

He has also mentioned that he would like a Rolex, but he already has a very nice Movado watch. When the time comes I may look into getting him the rolex, but that''s kinda pricey
22.gif
for a college students budget! We''ll see..

anyways...I think that the new TV is a great idea for an engagement present if he doesn''t already have one.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never considered there being a correlation between the price of the engagement ring and an engagement present for the boy. Interesting, but it''s never crossed my mind that it should cost a certain amount. I got Paul a pocket watch, and it''s beautiful and engraved and he will adore it, and it cost far, far, far, far less than my ring, but he won''t care. I don''t think most people do when they receive a gift. As far as "traditional" gifts, I think TVs are becoming lots more prevalent nowadays.

Good luck choosing a good one that will last for years!
1.gif
1.gif

IrishAngel7982

Brilliant_Rock
Me too Fisher and besides, M gets upset when I spend a lot of money on him even though there''s no stopping me. Muahahahahahahahaha!
11.gif

Anyway, if you''re interested in TVs (LCD, plasma, DLP, whatever) check this out...
linky

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
My FI is getting a flat-screen TV from me too... he made me agree to that years ago when one of his friends received a plasma for an engagement present! I think we''re going with an LCD too, RoseAngel... having heard the same bad things about plasmas. Now that the ring''s been on my finger for a month, he''s been begging for HIS engagement present... but I keep telling him he has to wait as long as long as I did.
11.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone for your responses! After reading the article that irish linked to, I think we''re going to wait at least until the fall to buy the tv since it looks like prices should go down more.

Brazen- He actually wants a DLP projection. It''s not the kind that has a separate screen. It actually looks like a normal tv, but isn''t as deep as you would expect it to be for the size. They''re actually very light also (the 56" is something like 60 lbs I think)

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I am also getting my FI a flat screen tv. We got engaged at the beginning of summer, but are not moving into our house until fall, so that is when he will be getting the tv. Hey, I had to wait, so should he! I will probably try to get him a rather large tv, we are lucky enough to have purchased a townhouse with a huge great room where we will put it. He wants to put in the basement (he thinks that will be "his room"), but we won''t be able to afford to finish it for a few years. The tv will not cost even close to what my ring did, but I don''t think that''s the point. I know the traditional engagement gift for a man is a watch, but my FI hates them. He doesn''t wear any jewelry at all. It will be enough for him to get used to wearing a wedding ring!

Larissa

Shiny_Rock
He wanted a ring so he got a ring.

I consider a TV to be more of a gift to "us" rather than just to him since we''d both use it.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 8:07:16 AM
Author: Larissa
He wanted a ring so he got a ring.

I consider a TV to be more of a gift to ''us'' rather than just to him since we''d both use it.
I can see how that would be. In our case, the difference is that I genuinely could care less whether we kept our old TV for the next ten years or purchased a shiny new flat-screen. If it were a gift for me as well, there are about a zillion other things I''d spend $2000 on (furniture, etc) before that. But since he is the one who DOES want a flat-screen above all else, spending money on that definitely makes it a gift to him.
1.gif

I guess an engagement present = something special he wants that wouldn''t ordinarily be bought! Regardless of who else might benefit from it...

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for posting that article, Ephemery. I''ve done some research on it because I was originally thinking LCD but after talking to some friends that have purchased as well as reading a bunch of stuff, I''m leaning Plasma. All the bad press on plasma is sort of out of date and the picture IS better, plus it is cheaper right now.

ephemery1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 9:53:17 AM
Author: sumbride
Thanks for posting that article, Ephemery. I''ve done some research on it because I was originally thinking LCD but after talking to some friends that have purchased as well as reading a bunch of stuff, I''m leaning Plasma. All the bad press on plasma is sort of out of date and the picture IS better, plus it is cheaper right now.
I''m thinking the same thing, Sum! I read some reviews for 42"-ers on cnet and then reviews on www.circuitcity.com as well... it seems like the Panasonic might be a good choice at this point. Which were you considering?

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
I was curious if anyone else's FF expressed the opinion that they wanted a gift that would be kept forever?

The traditional watch idea is out for us because a) he never wears a formal watch and b) can't wear a more day-to-day one at all while out in the field

What kinds of things did you think about other than a TV? I suggested this sort of thing, and he kind of balked. He said "but we'll have to get rid of it in X years... and I don't want an engagement gift that won't be around forever..."

So now we're both thinking hard... we're a bit stumped. Any suggestions on items that will last a bit longer than a TV or a playstation, etc?

He mentioned a hunting rifle (yes, the boy is a little obsessed with guns, though really, given his line of work, I'm not surpised : ) ...

Does this sound entirely bizarre? Just thinking about it... I get a diamond, he gets a gun?

Sounds wierd to me... but it would make him happy... I suppose that's the way it's supposed to be, but it still isn't "clicking" in my head.

okay, enough rambling!

Aussiegirl : p

ETA: also, he was talking about getting a really nice, top of the line rifle... with pretty engraving on it. Still, it'd be a gun, but a pretty gun : ) HAH!

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 10:02:26 AM
Author: ephemery1
Date: 7/20/2006 9:53:17 AM

Author: sumbride

I''m thinking the same thing, Sum! I read some reviews for 42''-ers on cnet and then reviews on www.circuitcity.com as well... it seems like the Panasonic might be a good choice at this point. Which were you considering?

I''m not sure yet, I haven''t looked at specific models at this point. You''re one step ahead of me in that you''re already engaged!
2.gif

I definitely think Panasonic is one of the better Plasma brands, but I''ve also thought about Phillips, Toshiba and Samsung. Do you have Tweeter near you? One of my friends told me they will give you 90 days after the sale to find the same model at a better price to give you a price match. That alleviates one of my concerns about it going on sale a week after I buy it! I''m thinking I''ll definitely need professional installation because we want to mount it on a 100 year old brick wall. I''m thinking we''ll probably mount a board to the brick, then mount it to the board. Much simpler. Are you going to do wall mount?

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think if he wants a rifle you should get him one. Its the same with D and his guitars-I would rather get him a nice watch or something like that but a guitars what he wants and I guess he can keep it forever as long as its in good condition

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 10:29:15 AM
Author: aussiegirl23
I was curious if anyone else''s FF expressed the opinion that they wanted a gift that would be kept forever?

The traditional watch idea is out for us because a) he never wears a formal watch and b) can''t wear a more day-to-day one at all while out in the field

He mentioned a hunting rifle (yes, the boy is a little obsessed with guns, though really, given his line of work, I''m not surpised : ) ...

Does this sound entirely bizarre? Just thinking about it... I get a diamond, he gets a gun?

Sounds wierd to me... but it would make him happy... I suppose that''s the way it''s supposed to be, but it still isn''t ''clicking'' in my head.

ETA: also, he was talking about getting a really nice, top of the line rifle... with pretty engraving on it. Still, it''d be a gun, but a pretty gun : ) HAH!

I have a family friend who is an electrician and a hunter. He worked for an electrical contracting company for many years and every year his Christmas bonus was a rifle. They were all hand-made, one a kind, with amazing detail and beautiful engraving. They were showpieces and he loved them. Those will be around a lot longer than his Christmas bonus would have been. They are even something he could pass on to his son. A gun doesn''t have to be "just a gun" and he wants a rifle, I say get him a rifle. If he values it and cherishes it, it''s a better gift than a watch or a tv for sure, and is something he could keep forever. I think it''s a lovely idea!

pinkflamingo

Brilliant_Rock
what about a piece of artwork... for your livingroom or a piece of furniture?

aussiegirl23

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sumbride : )

It's just a concept I have to adjust to... you know... jewelery for firearms!

But he will absolutely treasure something well made and beautiful like that...

Definetly not an "us" gift... but probably a good bet.

thanks for the reassurance!

ETA: PinkFlamingo... the piece of furniture idea is another one of those things that just won't be around forever - he doesn't like the idea of eventually retiring this present to the dump someday : ( Also, the artwork idea is one I thought about, but rejected because at this point, our house has things I've picked out and tried to get his input about, but in all honesty, he just doesn't care about art, or decorating hte place. When I met him, I swear all 4 walls of each room in his apt. were absolutely bare white. And he didn't mind... It's a great idea and thank you - I'm just realizing this guy is pretty bare bones about everything... Thinking about what he owns, it's all utilitarian and basic. I'm thinking give the man what he likes - the hunting rifle - and just make sure it's a unique one that you can't find in every store in America. : )

staceybelle

Rough_Rock
Date: 7/20/2006 10:29:15 AM
Author: aussiegirl23
I was curious if anyone else''s FF expressed the opinion that they wanted a gift that would be kept forever?

The traditional watch idea is out for us because a) he never wears a formal watch and b) can''t wear a more day-to-day one at all while out in the field

What kinds of things did you think about other than a TV? I suggested this sort of thing, and he kind of balked. He said ''but we''ll have to get rid of it in X years... and I don''t want an engagement gift that won''t be around forever...''

So now we''re both thinking hard... we''re a bit stumped. Any suggestions on items that will last a bit longer than a TV or a playstation, etc?

He mentioned a hunting rifle (yes, the boy is a little obsessed with guns, though really, given his line of work, I''m not surpised : ) ...

Sounds wierd to me... but it would make him happy... I suppose that''s the way it''s supposed to be, but it still isn''t ''clicking'' in my head.

okay, enough rambling!

ETA: also, he was talking about getting a really nice, top of the line rifle... with pretty engraving on it. Still, it''d be a gun, but a pretty gun : ) HAH!
This reminds me... my grandfather got my grandmother a gun for his wedding present to her! It was beautiful and had historical significance (came from the private collection of a famous gunmaker), but still! She loved it, though. He also won the money for her engagement ring playing craps. He died not long after I was born, so I never knew him, but I understand he was an interesting character.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results