shape
carat
color
clarity

engagement gift for the guy

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Paul never wears a watch, either. He says it *constricts* his wrist and is uncomfortable. Had we not both bought our fathers pocket watches, I would have never known that he loves them and wanted one some day, since I tend to think of them as *older men* time pieces. Just thinking if it wasn''t a pocket watch that I got him, I think I''d look for a really well done globe. You know, one of those ones that is detailed well, but is all silver colored, and have the stand engraved with some sweet sentimental something or another. He''d like that, since he''s such a geographical nut, and I know he''d prefer having something forever rather than an electronic that will die one day. He mentioned one time how it didn''t seem quite fair that the girl gets this beautiful thing to have forever to remember the day they pledged love to one another, and the man got nothing to bring back the memory. That''s when I knew a pocket watch would be good for him, since he''d be able to carry it around with him. However, now that I think about it, I really like the globe idea, too. I''ll have to remember that for later. I wonder where you even find a fancy globe. I''ve only seen them on soap operas.

Basically, whatever *speaks* to you in regard to your man, and what would be special to him, well, that''s what makes a present of this sort special. If guns are special to the man you love, go with it, and make it all the more special by adding touches that make it clearly an "engagement gift."

brazen_irish_hussy

Ideal_Rock
Every panisonic plasma tv consumer reports tested were so good as to be called best buys.
Good luck
I can''t post my thoughts since my sweetheart has discovered this site.

sk8rjen

Brilliant_Rock
Mine wants a playstation portable, which I''ve planned on getting him for a while. But now his computer caught some virus and lost EVERYTHING and we are relying on my less-than-spectacular laptop, so it may be a new computer now. That would be appropriate -- the computer is more his true-love than I am
20.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Awe, I know how you feel. My boy goes to work, comes home, has dinner with me, kisses me, and then goes off to play on his computer for hours. I find ways to distract him though
2.gif

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
I like the idea of getting something unique. I also would want to get something that is permanent, rather than furniture or something like that. Fisher, I liked your idea of a pocket watch. My bf is not very materialistic so it''s hard to think of something he''d like. He does like watches, so that''s an idea. He has a nice one, not very expensive but still the one he wears as w/suits, etc... He''s not into big tv''s or video games. I''m sure he doesn''t expect anything. In fact, I think I mentioned it before and he hadn''t heard of the guy getting anything. That actually makes me want to get him something even more. I really can''t afford anything huge though. I also would really like something I can engrave, something sentimental.
Bee, a guitar is a nice idea. I''ve seen some guitars on tv that are hand-decorated, really pretty.
Aussie, maybe you can find a gun w/some historical significance. That would certainly add to its uniqueness.
Hmmm...hard to choose something.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Just out of curiousity--am I the only one here who wasn''t planning on getting my b/f an engagement present? I LOVE your ideas and think it''s awesome that you all want to do something nice for your fiances as a token of your engagement. I had never really heard of doing engagement gifts before pricescope. Is it a regional thing? I have one friend who wanted to give her fiance a ring when he proposed (she ended up deciding it was silly to do so since he''d get a wedding band soon enough), but other than that none of my friends have given engament gifts--just wedding gifts. Maybe it is because I am from the "Bible Belt" south and the tradition here seems to be that he should consider your answer of "yes" a gift. Could someone fill me in? I am not downcasting the idea at all, I think it is really nice actually, I am just curious as to where/when it originated. I suppose it must be a recent trend since more and more women know to expect their engagements now. If it were to be a total surprise, you wouldn''t know to get a gift, right?

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s more of a "I''m an independent adult woman and I want to get him a gift too" vs. "I have to get him something". I feel like we''re more of a partnership, two whole people together, vs. being his "other half", and while giving him a "yes" is definitely important, I wanted to get him something too, just to make feel as special as he makes me feel. Some people may say that will be the first born child, but, well, not that I''m comparing a Plasma TV to a baby, but we don''t plan to have children... so....

I guess it''s my way of asserting that I''m not property to be bought with a ring, but rather someone receiving a gift that would like to reciprocate. That''s my own interpretation of it though... I certainly don''t want to speak for anyone else on the subject!

akw94

Brilliant_Rock
Fancy,
I hadn''t heard of it until PS either. Once I heard of it, I thought it was a nice idea and have been trying to think of something to get. I really like the idea of giving him something special to signify our engagement. I don''t see myself ever asking him what he''d like though; it would be a total surprise, other than the fact that I had asked him if he heard of it. I''m pretty sure my friends haven''t heard of it either, although I''ll have to ask.

Fancy605

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 5:09:10 PM
Author: sumbride

I guess it''s my way of asserting that I''m not property to be bought with a ring, but rather someone receiving a gift that would like to reciprocate. That''s my own interpretation of it though... I certainly don''t want to speak for anyone else on the subject!

I like that line of thinking. It makes perfect since really! I guess my main thing is that around here people don''t think of an engagement ring as a gift per say, more of something a man buys to show the rest of the world that a woman is spoken for. Then she gets to wear something lovely, and he gets to rest easy knowing that she will not have to put up with unwanted suitors. I suppose that does make the woman seem a bit like property though. And it makes the ring seem like really expensive pest repellant.

I will have to remember to ask my b/f how he feels about engagement gifts. Although I suspect he would object to them and just tell me to get him a super nice christmas present instead.

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Fancy, I''d never heard of it until I came here, either. Later though, I learned that a few of my friends had gotten engagement presents for their fiances after she was asked.

I''d not planned on getting anything for Paul, because it just didn''t occur to me as something you should do. I thought he''d feel weird about it, like I was trying to "pay him back" or something. Just when I''d pretty much decided he was *TOO* traditional to want anything like that, he went and made a comment about how it wasn''t quite fair that society just assumes the girl is the only one who wants a momento of the day a couple becomes engaged, and I knew from then on that he''d want something sweet to remember the event by. Because I have a *BIG* mouth, I let it slip that I had something in mind for him, too, and now he thinks he''s getting an engagement RING. It''s so cute because he''s totally too traditional to do something like that, but because he knows I''m excited about it, he is now, too. He''ll be happy when he sees what it really is!

Anyway, I think it''s becoming more common for the guy to get a gift, and maybe because rings cost SO much more now than they did back in the day. That''s part of why I think it goes on now, and partly too because women are more independent and want to have a sense of "giving back" a sign of love and devotion, desire to care for, and all that sweet, romantic stuff. It also makes me feel a little tiny bit like I have a part in the whole engagement process.
1.gif

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/24/2006 4:58:28 PM
Author: Fancy605
Just out of curiousity--am I the only one here who wasn''t planning on getting my b/f an engagement present? I LOVE your ideas and think it''s awesome that you all want to do something nice for your fiances as a token of your engagement. I had never really heard of doing engagement gifts before pricescope. Is it a regional thing? I have one friend who wanted to give her fiance a ring when he proposed (she ended up deciding it was silly to do so since he''d get a wedding band soon enough), but other than that none of my friends have given engament gifts--just wedding gifts. Maybe it is because I am from the ''Bible Belt'' south and the tradition here seems to be that he should consider your answer of ''yes'' a gift. Could someone fill me in? I am not downcasting the idea at all, I think it is really nice actually, I am just curious as to where/when it originated. I suppose it must be a recent trend since more and more women know to expect their engagements now. If it were to be a total surprise, you wouldn''t know to get a gift, right?
Fancy, I''d never heard of it until two of my best friends got engaged to eachother. We''re all from the Pittsburgh area, but they''re both very liberal and were in all sorts of feminist groups in college together. I''m not sure if that''s where she got the idea from (along the lines of women can''t be bought?) or if she just thought that it wasn''t fair that she got a really pretty ring and he got nothing, but when she got him an engagement gift I thought that it was a really sweet gesture and knew that when it was my turn to get engaged, I''d want to do the same for my guy
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results