shape
carat
color
clarity

WARNING! Enchanted Diamonds Scam! Buyers Beware!

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like they may have gone into administration, if so, yes all their bank accounts will be “frozen” and getting a refund very unlikely, especially in the short term. Anyone who had paid via PayPal or Credit Card should immediately start a refund dispute/ chargeback. If anyone is holding a diamond from purchase, hold it, don’t return it. If you do you’re likely to have neither diamond or your money.
Is "administration" the Australian equivalent of what's known as bankruptcy in the US? If so, my quick search of the local federal court dockets isn't showing anything along those lines.

Bbbuuuttt... I have just now discovered Enchanted Diamonds Corp. was involuntarily dissolved by NY's Secretary of State back in 2011, for failure to pay its corporate "franchise" taxes. Of course, it's possible that ED Corp. was reincorporated under a different name, but I can't be sure since the online database search function is very basic.
https://appext20.dos.ny.gov/corp_public/corpsearch.entity_search_entry
And I can't use my office's NEXIS subscriptions (to do a more complete search or see if it's incorporated elsewhere) for searches unrelated to my job. Perhaps another PSer can search Nexis.

Here is the screen shot of the SoS's online page re ED as it appears tonight:
NYS Dept of State corporate database pg re Enchanted Diamonds.png

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is here an address? Can a New Yorker PSer pop up to the office and see if it still exists?

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is here an address? Can a New Yorker PSer pop up to the office and see if it still exists?
This is literally what I was thinking. They do have an address, not sure if I can post it but a google search brings it up.

I am so sorry for all ED customers affected. This is absolutely horrific and I truly hope that you will be able to get your money back and move on from this terrible experience.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Listed address is 1430 Broadway (Broadway & 40th); ED is not on the street level of that office building, however & i'm not seeing any indication of what their suite number might be. Presumably, they provided that info when prospective customers called for an appointment (appointment-only), but their phone is now out of service.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I want to say someone involved in this nightmare did go to the ED office. Doors were locked. Nobody was there. I think I read that on yelp.

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe a reviewer can get yelp to mark the business as closed also so potential customers can beware.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to say someone involved in this nightmare did go to the ED office. Doors were locked. Nobody was there. I think I read that on yelp.
Nothing about that in the Yelp reviews (the main ones or the "not recommended" ones) I plowed through, the Google reviews, Instagram comments or Twitter. I'd be kinda surprised if you can just waltz in and take the elevator up to a diamond dealer's showroom without clearance at the front desk or showing proof that you have an appointment.

Also, if the proprietors are observant Jews, they could very well be closed at times that someone who is not an observant Jew would expect them to be open.

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is "administration" the Australian equivalent of what's known as bankruptcy in the US? If so, my quick search of the local federal court dockets isn't showing anything along those lines.

Bbbuuuttt... I have just now discovered Enchanted Diamonds Corp. was involuntarily dissolved by NY's Secretary of State back in 2011, for failure to pay its corporate "franchise" taxes. Of course, it's possible that ED Corp. was reincorporated under a different name, but I can't be sure since the online database search function is very basic.
https://appext20.dos.ny.gov/corp_public/corpsearch.entity_search_entry
And I can't use my office's NEXIS subscriptions (to do a more complete search or see if it's incorporated elsewhere) for searches unrelated to my job. Perhaps another PSer can search Nexis.

Here is the screen shot of the SoS's online page re ED as it appears tonight:
NYS Dept of State corporate database pg re Enchanted Diamonds.png

FYI, there is nothing suspicious about a company being a “foreign entity“. Some states are more corporate friendly and Delaware happens to be one of them.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
FYI, there is nothing suspicious about a company being a “foreign entity“. Some states are more corporate friendly and Delaware happens to be one of them.
It didn't occur to me that someone might think there was something untoward about a "foreign" corporation doing business in NY, so thanks for adding your fyi!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the phone is disconnected, web chat on the website not operational and their office apparently “closed and empty” you would have to presume the business is closed or closing whether voluntary or involuntarily.
It does not bode well for anyone who has remitted money for either diamonds or jewellery and not received their purchase.
Anyone in that situation needs to get onto their bank or credit card provider ASAP and attempt to get a refund/ chargeback.

anon34985

Shiny_Rock
Holy cow this is so scary, I was thinking of selling them my diamond, can't imagine that would have turned out very well.

In any case, I did notice that about 2 weeks ago they were not longer on Rare Carat so I asked on the RC chat why they weren't there anymore, and they let me know that EC had decided to no longer be one of their vendors...

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well you pointed that fact out...I was just trying to clarify
I understand that you were being helpful -- since not everyone might realize that NY's Secretary of State's description of Online Diamonds International as a "foreign" corporation means it wasn't incorporated here in NY; that's why I thanked you.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well you pointed that fact out...I was just trying to clarify
I promise you, @Kaycee2018, Ms @MollyMalone is a straight shooter and when she thanks you for the fyi, she legitimately means it. I know it is hard to figure out tone when reading the replies of a stranger, but this PSer is cool through and through.

What's funny is that when I read foreign entity, I just went, oh, not incorporated in NY and shrugged it off, not even thinking that someone could interpret foreign as beyond out of state. Lololol. That's why I tell people nowadays my JD stands for juvenile delinquent.

CaseyC

Rough_Rock
@MollyMalone , I should have mentioned that I did leave a message with the Manhattan DA office as per your advice. Thank you for that number.

Also, what you mentioned, is exactly what the rep at the FTC told me- they could not investigate individual claims, but they would take a report and if enough began to correlate, they take a look deeper into it and under their determination, open an investigation.

Disappointingly, the NYPD precinct closest to Enchanted Diamonds on Broadway in Manhattan couldn’t care less when I called to report it to them there.

FWIW, I have been told by someone who spoke to the CEO of Rare Carat (who personally went down to the ED NYC showroom) and the office is completely cleared out.

Last edited:

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you contact NY state attorney general?

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wasn't Enchanted Diamonds a vendor here at one time? Perhaps Andrey or @Ella or can help?

cmd2014

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had this happen to me, only with a local furniture store (they took our 50% deposit for a Thomasville dining room set knowing they were going into receivership the next day). The next day the doors were locked and the business no longer existed. We were considered an unsecured creditor. It took a while, but our CC company saved us by eventually doing a charge back.

So I would advise those who have paid with PayPal or CC to file claims. Not sure if banks can reverse charges on wire transfers, but it’s worth contacting your bank to ask.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
On IG from their last post’s comments, they say they hope they will be back up on Monday.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@MollyMalone , I should have mentioned that I did leave a message with the Manhattan DA office as per your advice. Thank you for that number.

Also, what you mentioned, is exactly what the rep at the FTC told me- they could not investigate individual claims, but they would take a report and if enough began to correlate, they take a look deeper into it and under their determination, open an investigation.

Disappointingly, the NYPD precinct closest to Enchanted Diamonds on Broadway in Manhattan couldn’t care less when I called to report it to them there.

FWIW, I have been told by someone who spoke to the CEO of Rare Carat (who personally went down to the ED NYC showroom) and the office is completely cleared out.
Although horrifying and maddening, thanks ever so much for all this additional, useful information! That the CEO of Rare Carat discovered ED has cleaned out & abandoned the office sure eliminates in my mind the possibility of a more benign scenario.

I'd also suggest that anyone who hasn't already contacted the BBB to do so -- even if you got a refund in the past several months after waiting and wrangling. As it stands now, Enchanted Diamonds has an A+ rating on the BBB website, which gives hapless potential customers a false sense of reassurance.
https://www.bbb.org/us/ny/new-york/profile/jewelry-stores/enchanted-diamonds-0121-136528

And special thanks to @MK Malone for being such a terrific liaison between PS & Yelpsters and others :clap:

Last edited:

bmfang

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Here’s hoping all affected ED customers get a resolution before things get a lot more formal (ie legal action).

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you contact NY state attorney general?
There's no NY license for the AG or any other State-City agency to yank. But here's the home page for the AG's Consumer Complaint forms; the online form is the first link on the page
https://ag.ny.gov/consumer-frauds/Filing-a-Consumer-Complaint
and here's a PDF of the form so you can see what filling out the online form (which is spread across multiple webpages) will be like:
https://ag.ny.gov/sites/default/files/cfb-_complaint-form-nyc-english.pdf

Still, as I said earlier, I'd consider the Manhattan DA's Office to be the go-to for this kind of thing (and I personally wouldn't bother with the AG Consumer Complaint form were I an ED customer with no money, no diamond right now).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results