shape
carat
color
clarity

EMERGENCY...NEED BUYING ADVICE QUICK!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Chrisk327

Rough_Rock
I haven't chimed in yet really with this thread but have been following it...
I was in the same position as you. We were together 5.5 years and something just hit that I felt I really wanted to do this now, rather than put it off.

Everyone always will have different opinions on all the stones, and with the 3 you had, I don't see how you can go wrong. Personally between the three if I had your budget I would have picked exactly what you did.

Isn't GOG great to work with?

I went down there and spent a lot of time with them looking at stones. They lined up all the diamonds for me D-J. J looked nice face up, but had a hint of color on the side.. G seemed identical to H, i personally think its splitting hairs. I picked a nice H for my girl.

Boxes I was back and forth. I didn't look at the black one... from the pic it didn't look that great. In person I saw the rosewood and the white with the light. I think the Rosewood is really nice. Very well done. The white one didn't seem as classy, but had the cool factor, the light. When I saw online I thought rosewood, no question. When I was in the store the white one tempted me, but i went with rosewood.

domer

Rough_Rock
GOG has been great to work with. Similarly, Bob at WF was an incredible help as well. After I've gone through with everything and have a little more time on my hands
1.gif
, I'm going to post on my experiences with both vendors.

Thanks for the advice on the boxes, Chrisk327. It helps to have someone who has seen them in person. I thought black initiailly, but from the pic it looked a little...well...just not as elegant as I thought it would be. I may call GOG and see if I can switch to the Rosewood.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I didn't know there was a rosewood option...yes get that one
1.gif
Our jeweler uses beautiful rosewood polished boxes with a blue thick band of polished wood around it and they are very classy.

KittyTiger

Shiny_Rock
I recieved the ring in the wooden box and it is beautiful. I really like it. I feel it's best out of the three.

chris-uk04

Shiny_Rock
I'll chime in to agree with your 1.74 vs 1.88 debate and add one thing. The size is going to be unoticeable. The 1.74 ct is 7.78 mm in diameter whereas the 1.88 ct is 7.99 mm. That's only 0.21 mm or about 2.7% smaller.
6.gif
It would be nearly impossible to tell even if they were side by side. Just take out a ruler and try to pinpoint 7.8 versus 8 mm. It's ridiculously small. The G / H is undetectable though you might see a slight different with the two grades in clarity. You also save about $500. Good luck.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chris I have to beg to differ on the size difference visibility. My fiance and I easily saw the difference of .15mm in two stones, leading up to buy the larger looking one. So a difference of around .21 would definitely be visible to my eyes.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 12/17/2003 12:42:36 PM Mara wrote:

Chris I have to beg to differ on the size difference visibility. My fiance and I easily saw the difference of .15mm in two stones, leading up to buy the larger looking one. So a difference of around .21 would definitely be visible to my eyes.
----------------

Would this be 'cause it is the difference in surface rather than diameter that shows up?

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was difference in diameter...the smaller stone was 7mm and the bigger was 7.15mm. They both weighed the same (one was the shallower stone), and we remarked together that we thought that the one (7.15mm) looked noticeably bigger. Then we compared the numbers, etc..found out that it was.

diamond dazed

Rough_Rock
It seems like a small amount, but once you plug it into the pi x r(squared) formula, that little .2 gives something like 1.2 sq mm to the surface area.

(Not my thoughts, somebody pointed this fact out on a long-ago thread, and it stuck in my head.)

Kris

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/17/2003 1:30:39 PM diamond dazed wrote:

It seems like a small amount, but once you plug it into the pi x r(squared) formula, that little .2 gives something like 1.2 sq mm to the surface area.

(Not my thoughts, somebody pointed this fact out on a long-ago thread, and it stuck in my head.)

Kris----------------

The surface area of the smaller stone will be about 47.55 sq mm and the surface area of the larger stone will be about 50.11 sq mm -- a difference of about 5.4%

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I'm gone a few days and look at all the excitement!!! Congratulations on your ring!! I actually do agree with you on the logic of the SI1 vs the VS, and think you made a great choice. What I looove though is your logic over the size difference!! You're just too funny and it sounds like your GF is getting quite a gem of a husband!

surfsupp

Rough_Rock
It's confirmed. I'm addicted to this board and all the information on it. As some of of you might know, my search process started with Tiffany's, included Blue Nile, and now has moved on to Superbcert, DCD, GOG, WF and others b'c of all the advice I've received here.

I am attaching my search dilemma to this thread rather than create a new one because my budget/situation seems so similar to domer's. I am hoping to get the ring in by the end of the month, my ideal budget would be in the $12,000 range but can extend to $14,000.

My final choices include:

1) $12000
1.74 GSI1 61.9%/55%/40.7/35
Strong H&A
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
or diameter for weight Very Good
Total Visual Performance 1.2 - Excellent - within TIC range

2) $13000
1.56 DSI1 60.7%/56%/40.8/34.7
True H&A
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
Total Visual Performance 1.3 - Excellent - within TIC range

3) $14500
1.63 ESI1 60.8%/55%/40.9/34.5
Whiteflash ACA
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Very Good
Spread
Total Visual Performance 1.4 - Excellent - within TIC range

I know there's a tendency on the board towards the G/H SI1 range, and towards the true H&A, and finally towards the ACA cut line.

But, my current leaning is towards the DSI1. One reason is that although my education process has improved over time, describing the stone to someone who might only understand color/clarity - having one be at the top of the scale carries some value.

Please help me in my decision making process. I think I'm getting closer!

Thanks!

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I would pick #1 as first choice -- it scores the highest in light return, is the biggest, and is the least expensive and closer to your original budget! #3 is my second choice, and I'm not one of the poeple who tend toward G/H color stones, or ACA's. (Mine stone is an E). I wouldn't pick #2 because D color carries a premium due to it's rarity, not a visual difference. I don't believe is paying too much extra for something you can't see, so I think D is overkill -- especially when you look at the size and cost tradeoffs you are making for it. If you pick #3, you can always describe it as "colorless" as opposed to E, which is the top of the grading scale. With #1, you get the benefit of calling it 1.75c, which is probably the more likely question.

One thing you didn't list is the diminsions of the 3 stones. Check those to see if there is a significant difference. You eye sees the diamemter, not the weight of the stone.

At the end of the day...they all look like great stones, so you can't go wrong here. Good luck!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
I'd pick #1 as well, but what the heck is a "strong" H&A? I assume it's a marketing tool to call something that is not a perfect H&A a H&A anyway.

caratgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I like the D SI1. I do like the idea of the very best in color, combined with an ey-clean clarity grade.
10.gif

diamond dazed

Rough_Rock
I would go with #2, as well. At first I thought #3, but then noticed that it's $1500 *more* for only a 7/100's of a carat, plus your dropping a grade in color..... I would have assumed that #2 and #3 would be closer in price.

I agree with you about having the "D". Go for #2. :)

By the way, who are the vendors of #1 and #2 -- or is it a secret?

pqcollectibles

Ideal_Rock
1/14/2004 10:55:06 AM surfsupp said..........

But, my current leaning is towards the DSI1. One reason is that although my education process has improved over time, describing the stone to someone who might only understand color/clarity - having one be at the top of the scale carries some value.

There is a great deal of truth to that statement. When chatting about a young couple's princess style e-ring recently, I asked about the quality of the cut. The newly married groom shrugged off my question and said, "Color and clarity is where it's at."

But I wouldn't let the thinking processes of the general population lead me in a $12,000 to $14,000 buying decision. Do you buy a certain car or computer or pair of jeans just because most people think a specific brand or style is the best??!! Probably not. Like most of us, you probably buy what works for you. If the D color works for YOU then go with the D color diamond.

In these 3 stones, you have virtually identical HCA scores. Pricewise you are basically trading color for carat weight, that is reflected in the pricing of each diamond. I would suggest you review the IS images on all 3. Look for the one with the least light leakage and most contrast. If you have Brilliance Scope, FireScope, or ISee2, use those results to help decide which will be the better performer. Then have the diamond evaluated by an independent appraiser.

Ultimately, the choice of a diamond comes down to what appeals to your eye. The diamond that calls to you. Speaks to you.
1.gif

surfsupp

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the help guys!

I'm leaning towards option #1 or #2. I'm off to the appraisers this afternoon to try and decide. Here are some of the pictures I have - although - I imagine I have to see them in person to make a real comparison. Curious what you all think given the new pics?

#1)
1) $12000
1.74 GSI1 61.9%/55%/40.7/35
Strong H&A
Factor Grade
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
Total Visual Performance 1.2 - Excellent - within TIC range

mergeddcd copy.jpg

surfsupp

Rough_Rock
and #2)

$13000
1.56 DSI1 60.7%/56%/40.8/34.7
True H&A
Light Return Excellent
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Excellent
Spread
Total Visual Performance 1.3 - Excellent - within TIC range

mergeddi.jpg

fisiogrl

Shiny_Rock
Both stones look great! I would personally pick #1 because the for $1000 cheaper it looks like a great stone. The H&A are not as crisp, infact one of the hearts is a bit askew - or is that just the image?

$1000 is a lot of money in my mind, but once you start obsessing about diamond stuff it is hard to compromise on some of the things that you want. (I know all about it - but my budget was MUCH lower).

Your stone will be a beauty, let your appraiser guide you!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
BIGGER. Both stones are lovely actually so why pay $1k more for a SMALLER stone. Screw the D color I say!
1.gif
G's are great (my stone is a G)....I'd go for #1 hands down.

Hawkeye

Rough_Rock
Hey,
What's $1000 over 50 years of marriage ????????????
I would much rather have my wife wearing a D color than a G.
The Hearts & Arrows pics are far better with the D color stone as well.
I say screw the G and go for the best !!!!!

Just my 02 cents.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
50 years?! Hah...that 1.50c will be upgraded in 10 years...but if he goes with the 1.75c to start with...chances are diamond shrinkage will take longer to set in.
9.gif

Actually the differences in the H&A images are there...but very minimal from what I can see?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Light return in both those stone is terrrrrrific! I know you are going to hate this post, but given a D, an E and G of similar cut and clarity, I'd choose the largest between the D and E. It is so darn hard to tell those two color grades apart, that D really needs that extra psychological boost to make an argument for itself. Sorry...

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'd suggest that you send your top 2 picks to www.consumersgemlab.com and have a professional optical exam done and the expertise of Bill Lieberum to help guide you.

highendgems

Rough_Rock
why does it not surprise me that i diasagree w/ you. you spread so much garbage and FYI, i have no idea why you are confusing me with another user--i am the only one registered here.

alot of people say go with color over clarity, and in a 'good' cut stone maybe that is true--but in a well cut stone /'ideal', clarity is way more important as you have a better chance of seeing internal inclusions, so you will not see a difference between a G/H/I when the stone faces up.

go VS2, G-I and you will do very nice on your budget--i will say that idea of not going all out on the setting is a lame idea IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results