shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald vs. ???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

Everyone was so helpful a couple of days ago when I asked about purchasing from an independent "jeweler". I''m getting more + feedback on her, but am also strongly considering other options including online, and the local neighborhood jeweler who claims he will be as competitive as an online vendor.

While I was in the jewelry store I noticed a knockout emerald cut stone already set and under the glass. Emerald cut? Never even thought of one. My preferences have always been round or oval. When I tried it on, well, I loved it. Looked great on my hand. Of course, it was a big, clear, stone with a very good GIA cert. to go w/ it.

Isn''t an emerald cut a different diamond experience? What should I learn about this cut in order to make an informed decision about having an emerald cut diamond v. "playing it safe" with a round (or oval) b/c after all, what''s not to love about a beautifully cut, sparkly, clear round diamond?

The jeweler explained how it''s the step cuts in the emerald and its fire and scintillation that attracts people; it''s classic. Can an emerald cut be a very sparkly diamond? I don''t know anything about these stonce! What should one think about and look for if one is considering an emerald cut stone?

This is an awesome forum! I was up til 4am last night (this morning?!), just reading it.
34.gif

Thanks to all who take the time to write thoughtful and informative replies to people''s questions, or concerns.

Jeannie

Love in Bloom

Ideal_Rock
Hey Shminbabe! Here is what little I know about emerald cuts:

-tend to show face up color a bit more than other cuts
-tend to be less forgiving of inclusions
-may sparkle less than rounds or other fancy cuts (but I have seen some sparkly ECs myself so I am not totally in agreement with this one)

Hopefully some EC owners will chime in on proportions and numbers
2.gif
!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depth under 70% , but 59%- 64% preferred for spread.

Table 55-60% preferred. Up to 62 or 64 okay depending on crown height.
Crown height over 10, but preferrably over 12%

Table, should be (but doesn''t always have to be) smaller than depth.

Excellent or VG symmetry a must.

Excellent or VG polish.

VS2 or better. Check for eyecleanliness. H or better in color to be safe if it''s for someone else ... but if it''s for you, then whatever you like is fine.

2.gif

BUT AND MOST IMPORTANTLY with Fancy''s NUMBERS don''t mean a thing if your eyes love it. So.. go with your eyes.

tumbelina

Rough_Rock
Not much to add expertise wise, bud gosh i love the look of an emerald cut. they don''t really sparkle like an RB, but the steps, the beautiful steps!
30.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d stick with at least H VS2, GIA (preferred) or EGL USA
ECs do show more body colour than RBs
Due to the step cuts of ECs, inclusions are also easier to see

Depth 60%- 68% (You don''t want it too deep otherwise it will look really small - less is better)
Table 55% -65% (Ideally, I like the table to be a little less than the depth - smaller table = more fire)
Crown height 10% and upwards (I like those over 12%)
Symmetry VG or better
Polish VG or better

Even after weeding out the rest using this specification, the EC still needs to be seen in person.
1. Get a magnified picture (if buying online or you can post it here)
2. Get an Idealscope (helps to see the light leakage)
3. Get an ASET (helps to see the light performance)

You can check out my old post for a more technical reading.
Ultimate EC

richipat

Rough_Rock
In my opnion, Emerald Cuts really need to be looked at in person.

When I was looking for mine, I had numbers and specs, but found that more than any other diamond, each EC has its own personality. Some really sparkle; some have big bright flashes; some look fake; some a dull as dirty dishwater.

I also think it is important to look at as high a quality in clairty that you can. The large table tends to reveal more inclusions that other cuts.

I finally bought a VVS2, F, just under a carat. Again, the selection was primarliy based on the how pretty the stone looked in various lights -- in the store, out on the shade, out in the sun, and in a darkerned room with lamp light.

But I tell you, a really pretty EC can really make a classic statement -- especially if you don''t want the same ol'' same ol'' that everyone else has. (Around here it is all Princess Cuts and rounds with Halos)

Good luck and we will be all wanting to see what your decide.

shminbabe

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

It''s Jeannie, back from reading your replies to my emerald cut question. Many thanks!! I did skip over to some past discussion on the emerald cut. I must say, I am learning a LOT here. I so appreciate it. Please, if anyone has anything else to add, do. I am a total neophyte. I think I can discern a few things from looking at the stone with my own two, aging eyes but really, I need to really understand this type of stone and how its cut in order to get what we all really want from our diamonds. The stone I saw was set in a ring so if I am really interested, they will have to get it out so I can examine it better and see the GIA report. Superficially, it''s lovely, seems to have the facets but I can''t tell about fire or scintillation. I''m an idiot: what am I really looking for??! This particular stone is VS 2, F-color, 2.28 ct - and is GIA cert. but I don''t have the report. It''s very pretty to my eyes but really, what should I look for an in what lighting should I examine it? I can see the steps. It''s visually clear and clean and white. Asking price for stone is $22,500. The ring was "priced" at $38,000 (as set, but really, I am supposed to negotiate, I guess). I think I could get it lower based upon what I searched for at White Flash (saw a similar stone, slightly smaller, just over 2 ct with same color and clarity) for about $17,000.

Anyway, this is such an informative and fun forum. Addictive, though.
2.gif

Thanks for any illumination or advice from here.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
Emerald cuts are gorgeous aren't they? As others have said, you need a better color grade (usually), and a higher clarity grade because an EC is like a piece of glass/ice and you can see into it so clearly, so any inclusions are more easily seen since there the EC is a "quieter" looking stone, compared to a round or princess or cushion. There is an inherent "stillness" to ECs that is really relaxing to gaze at, IMO. You really have to see it on the hand to make a decision. I also wouldn't say that an EC has a lot of "scintillation". To me, scintillation is what you get with a gorgeous round. I believe it refers to the shimmering effect that some rounds have. Again, the EC is more quiet, no shimmering per se. But you do get larger fire flashes off of the steps when the light is right. And that's a lovely effect.

As for the price of the stone you're looking at? It's about what I was quoted on 47th St. for a similar grade/size stone a few months back. Of course that was before any negotiating (which I didn't do since I went in another direction), but it sounds about right. Maybe even on the low side for a B&M. Is this a chain store or a dealer in NY? Just curious...Enjoy your search! It's such a fun process, isn't it?

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Try to see more ECs in person so you have something to compare it to. If you can, take some pics and post them for us to see.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jeannie,

You have to get all the information on the cert. It is best to view the stone umounted but if you have an Idealscope, you can use it while it is set. The EC needs to be viewed under all types of lighting.

Indirect light (shaded natural sunlight)
Check out all the steps. Look for a beautiful balance of narrow light and dark lines in the center (you don''t want a dark chunk in the middle) with tiny sparkles like crushed ice at the two ends. It should look very white with hints of strong dispersion at the ends.

Office fluorescent light
This is when the stone looks the most plain and white. When moving the EC from side to side, look for fire (rainbow light) moving from one end of the long steps to the other end. The corners should still sparkle like icy crushed ice.

Sunlight
Rainbows should flash everywhere.
emrainbow.gif
You should see large flashes of coloured light. It is mostly likely to be more
impressive from a few feet away than it is from a few inches away.

Hope this helps.
21.gif

Mrs Mitchell

Ideal_Rock
If you love it, go for it! I have an emerald cut ering and I wouldn''t trade it for anything else, however big or sparkly. It suits me perfectly and it looks right on my hand. If you like what you see - grab it! Good luck!

Jen

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results