shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald vs pear ---opinion needed

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Hi, so I have been searching for a pear shape stone so that it looks different from my current round. This will be a combination gift for anniversary, celebrate the birth of our daughter, birthday, Christmas all in one. I wanted to look for a pear also because it looks bigger due to the elongated shape. Along the way, I started to explore emeralds and was mesmerized by its flashy facets/mirror like. I now have to make a decision between a 3 carat emerald and a 3.4 carat pear. The price of the pear is slightly more but looks considerably larger. I am torn as they are both beautiful.
Which would you chose in terms of shape? Should I stick with the pear because that was my original plan or go for the emerald for its timeless look. Are pear not as popular as during my search, I have not seen many. Here is the pic for the size and shape comparison with my wedding band. Please let me know your comments.

img_13532.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, that is a tough call...how big is your round?

I think if you want something really different from your round then go with the emerald. If you're more interested in going big
then go with the pear. They both look quite large to me!

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for your comment. My round is about 2 carat. I have until next week to decide. Are pear not as popular in terms of shape as I see a lot more emeralds in my search for elongated stone. I was going to halo the pear but for this one, I think I'll keep as a solitaire. I don't want to make the wrong choice, they are both so beautiful. Could you let me know why you said go for emerald? What do you think looks better with my hand? Emerald flashes are very different than what I am used to and I find it intriguing to look at.
Thank you again and any comments are well appreciated!

laurenk

Brilliant_Rock
I had this exact same dilemma, and nearly decided on the emerald before choosing an antique pear. Personally I like the emerald on you better than the pear, perhaps its the pictures but the pear looks a little mushy and to my eye, not the shaped pear I love, having said that you need to go with what makes your heart sing!

Emeralds do face up smaller, and you could always add a tiny 1/2 pointer halo to the emerald in time if you felt the need to boost her.

Lucky you to have such an exciting decision to make!

Good luck!

iwantsparkle

Shiny_Rock
I lean pear because it was your original choice but both are good. I'm more partial to emeralds, but that is me.

The pear looks noticeably bigger to me.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Thank you Laurenk, I actually read your post while deciding and thought I would be able to decide but looking at them both, I love each shape differently. My husband is saying the emerald looks better with my hand so that is what I am leaning towards.
Any pros and cons comment on each stone shape?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was saying if you want something really "different" from your round then get the emerald because it is step cut vs brilliant.

But if "different " isn't really your concern (and you are more interested in a "big" look then go with the pear. The fat end of a pear is more like a round brilliant (a well cut one is) so that's why I was calling an emerald more of a different look than your round.

I have been helping new posters on Rockytalky and seems like I can't keep up with the number of pepole asking for help with pears lately. I think pear (and oval) popularity kind of cycles. I don't really feel like emeralds go in or out. I don't think you should worry about that though. I think you should buy the one you like the best.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Thank you tyty333. I understand what you are saying and I just have to look hard to see what I love more. Here is another picture of the stones. It is the top emerald and the pear for another comparison. It an exciting dilemma I have but I need to make decision and not look back.

img_13533.jpg

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Here is a better comparison shot

img_13534.jpg

poshmommy

Brilliant_Rock
I like how the emerald looks on you. Very classy and elegant. I say go for the emerald now and do a pear pendant later!

ac117

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with others-the emerald looks really lovely on you!! :love:

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Thank you all. I think I will chose the emerald too!
I appreciate everyone's honest opinion on this forum!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, both are very beautiful so it will be a hard choice. I have an emerald cut myself and enjoy it for the broad colour flashes, quite different flashing style from any other cut. So, the pear will sparkle in a similiar way to your RB. You are getting a bigger look with the pear shape but to me an emerald cut always seems a bit more regal and distinctive. I think in any regard if you are undecided, spend some more time checking them out and thinking about it, buyers remorse is yucky!

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Bron357, I agree buyers remorse is yucky and since this is a big purchase, I really don't want to go wrong. I went to Tiffany and tried on some emerald cuts and I love their tiny halo style.
Do you have to clean your emerald often? I heard that it is easier to see dirt with step cut, is that true?
How do you set your emerald? Do you have a picture?

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There seemed to be a resurgence of emerald cuts around the time George Clooney got engaged. I don't like on myself any
stone which comes down to my knuckle folds as the pear seems to in your photos, although I see lots of people wear them like this.
My sister has a beautiful pear with a prong set halo and it is lovely on her but comes down to my finger knuckles as my hands are smaller and a different shape.

The pear you have in your photos looks far larger than the emerald cut though. Another thing people sometimes ask is do you have tapered fingers or square tipped fingers. I think the tips of your fingers are square so this may be why your husband thinks the emerald suits your hand better or as you said the pear costs more, so men are prone to look for that as well :rolleyes:

Only you can make the decision.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also if you look at the celbrity thread there was a lot of ovals when everyone liked Blake Lively's ring. Hollywood stars
rings lots of times set the trend but trends change so better to go with what you really like as they all go in and out of
fashion except the round.

aac2013

Shiny_Rock
Tough choice! The pear does face up larger on your finger. That said, the emerald cut still looks really substantial in size. For me, there is something timeless and elegant about an emerald cut so that would be my pick.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just asked someone to look at your picture and said what do you think, she said 'the pear looks more glamorous'.

Someone said above the emerald was more regal so I think that is it. Glamorous or Regal?

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Something tells me you prefer the pear, but are being influenced by everyone else. Get what YOU want.....

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I am truly appreciative of your comments. I am still undecided and I will go into the city on Monday to take a look again and decide. Part of me love the pear because of the finger coverage and the shape that is so different from my current round. I am worried though because I am afraid I will be regretful to buy a asymmetric shape stone down the road. With the emerald, I love the flashes but i worry that I will miss the sparkle and I could have gotten a larger looking stone (pear) with sparkle. I have been looking at videos I took of the stones daily to make up my mind. I will find out on Monday what I love more to see them in person and will let you guys know. If I get a pear, what setting do you recommend? What setting do you recommend for the emerald. My finger size is a 4 .75.
Thank you all!

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
In general I like the pear shape better but between these two particular stones I find the emerald prettier. The pear is certainly a lot bigger, but it's not the best looking pear I've seen and for the price you've got to be paying for that size, I personally wouldn't be happy with it.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Still obsessing over the comparison. Here are closeup pics of the two stones. It seems more people like the emerald on my finger so wanted to show you guys the close up pics. I took with my iPhone and they are clear but not sure how they will look once I upload the pics.

img_9843.png

img_9845.png

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
image_1098.jpg
This is my Emerald in its new home. Diamonds of any size or shape are dirt magnets in my opinion,especially for hand lotion,creams or hair products! I wear my ring 24/7 so I find myself cleaning it regularly, nothing special, just a very soft toothbrush (no scrubbing) and water! Once every 6 months I get a jewellers clean and once a year a re dip (its 18ct white gold so it looks quite yellow when the rhodium wears off!)

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Thank you bron357, the setting is very unique and eye catching. May I ask what the ratio of your emerald is? Part of my search when looking at emerald is to figure out what ratio I prefer and I seem to prefer the chubbier emerald shape - 1.30 range but yours looks very elegant on your finger with a more elongated shape.

ElizabethR

Shiny_Rock
The pear looks too big for your finger while the emerald looks just right. I think the emerald is perfect for you. But that's just my opinion.
All the best with the big decision. :D

LunaStar

Rough_Rock
This would be a very tough decision for me too because both stones are just lovely. While I prefer the shape of an emerald diamond over a pear any day of the week, I also love the gorgeous sparkle and shimmer of the pear you are considering. I think they both look beautiful on you so I guess you should just go with how you heart leans on this one.

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My Emerald is about 8mm wide and 14mm long (4.37 carats). It's a diamond from the 1920s / 1930s, I don't think there are many modern stones cut to these proportions. The whole ring is 20mm long by 14mm wide so it's a big setting. It's also very flat, and I am absolutely thrilled with this new setting.

SpencerDane

Rough_Rock
I am going to be the oddball here and say I find the pear much more beautiful. If this was what you were looking for to begin with, you might not be as satisfied if you choose something different. That sparkle and brilliance of the pear is simply to die for.

liaerfbv

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love pears but I don't love that pear. Of those 2 stones, I prefer the emerald.

diamondlove123

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everyone. Yesterday I went into the city and chose the emerald. I think it will be a classic and much more different look than my current rb round stone. I will be able to pick it up soon and will post pics. Very excited for the outcome and just in time for the holiday season. Will try to take better pics with better lighting. The stone truly has great flashes of light.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results