• No

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Depends (please explain)

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My husband gave me an emerald ring 30 years ago, and I wore it on my left hand daily. I had no clue about emeralds then. It's still in great shape, but my fingers have grown a wee bit chubbier since then, so I don't wear it.

Regarding the moi et toi, it is going to be huge! How much attention do you want to draw to it-none, a lot, a little? Sometimes you have to be practical, sometimes you can/can't be ostentatious, etc. You really seem to love your diamond, and I think it would be a waste of a beautiful, expensive emerald to make it "second fiddle." Emeralds like that should be the focus, with their magical glow.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking to your poll, emeralds are not a risk to set if

1) Have them evaluated by a gemologist or expert jeweler for fissures that may cause a risk.

2) use a jeweler experienced enough to set the stone.

3) Never put them in an ultrasonic cleaner.

4). Softer metals like gold or silver are typically better than platinum, unless your jeweler really knows what they’re doing.

Polabowla

Brilliant_Rock
I loved the look of such settings, until I had one in costume jewelry & it got caught on every. dang. thing. that came near my right hand.
So just be cautious that your setting is made well & won't get caught.
Btw, I had no idea about emeralds needing special care. Hubby bought me emerald earrings & I popped them into a container of jewelry cleaner.... and it's just not the same (especially since I think these were treated stones).

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My husband gave me an emerald ring 30 years ago, and I wore it on my left hand daily. I had no clue about emeralds then. It's still in great shape, but my fingers have grown a wee bit chubbier since then, so I don't wear it.

Regarding the moi et toi, it is going to be huge! How much attention do you want to draw to it-none, a lot, a little? Sometimes you have to be practical, sometimes you can/can't be ostentatious, etc. You really seem to love your diamond, and I think it would be a waste of a beautiful, expensive emerald to make it "second fiddle." Emeralds like that should be the focus, with their magical glow.
Shame about your ring, hopefully it can be re-sized.
I don’t mind a large attention grabbing ring. It’s my 40th birthday pressie after all. Yes I do think it will be larger but hopefully not obnoxiously so. Here is a photo of my diamond with the glowing 1.8 emerald. I have to say I did have a mini panic at the size
:oops2:
46994836-5FAA-4DE0-ABB8-547A1287B155.jpeg
both stones are unset and resting in 18 karat white gold solitaire settings

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t mind a large attention grabbing ring. It’s my 40th birthday pressie after all. Yes I do think it will be larger but hopefully not obnoxiously so. Here is a photo of my diamond with the glowing 1.8 emerald. I have to say I did have a mini panic at the size

I notice the emerald more than the diamond. It glows on you.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Speaking to your poll, emeralds are not a risk to set if

1) Have them evaluated by a gemologist or expert jeweler for fissures that may cause a risk.

2) use a jeweler experienced enough to set the stone.

3) Never put them in an ultrasonic cleaner.

4). Softer metals like gold or silver are typically better than platinum, unless your jeweler really knows what they’re doing.

Thanks for the tips @T L I was not aware about not setting in platinum, though yellow gold was my preference. I’ll have a think about whether an emerald for daily wear is really for me over the holiday brea. In this time the jeweller I’m working with will have pulled some more stones for me to see by the end of January. If I don’t see anything I think I’ll go back to my idea of the 3 stone with old cut pears.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I didn’t read all the comments, but I would never bezel an emerald. They’re too full of fractures and inclusions to bezel safely.

I think a bypass idea is lovely though, and you could halo the emerald to give it added protection. The diamond could stay un-haloed.

I love diamond and emerald together, and I see no problem using a soft toothbrush to clean the diamond and the emerald with a delicate jewelry cleaner (no ammonia). Never ever put emerald in an ultrasonic cleaner!!

I would agree (and disagree). If anything, I do have a pair of round bezel-set emeralds, of the color you, @T L, probably, would like.

A very good, very trusted, jeweler set them in bezel, after a couple of others refused to do it. He did an excellent job, technically. If anything, they are protected now, so bezeling might help, if done right.

However, emeralds definitely need an influx of light, they are not very dispersive but they have mysterious glow to them. And this glow is lost in the depth of a bezel.

Just my opinion.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I notice the emerald more than the diamond. It glows on you.

This particular stone glows so bright the surrounding prongs look green (if you zoom in on the pic) for some reason it really comes to life against my skin tone. It’s this energy that I think looks amazing with a sparkly diamond.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
W
This particular stone glows so bright the surrounding prongs look green (if you zoom in on the pic) for some reason it really comes to life against my skin tone. It’s this energy that I think looks amazing with a sparkly diamond.

Holy smokes, your emerald is so beautiful and just glows on your hand! I now kinda want to buy an emerald!! Go big or go home, heck it's your ring and your 40th!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@RosieR, the stones look beautiful together and will make a gorgeous moi et toi ring. You should go for it if that is what you truly desire!

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
W

Holy smokes, your emerald is so beautiful and just glows on your hand! I now kinda want to buy an emerald!! Go big or go home, heck it's your ring and your 40th!

Sorry to say @finerthings that the emerald does not belong to me. I only own the diamond. This was the best stone out of what the jeweller pulled for me from his contact over seas. If I do get an emerald I’d like it to have the same glowing energy, but one shade darker and slightly bigger. If I can’t find what I’m imagining, then I’ll go for an all diamond 3 stone with antique pears on the side.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with your search @RosieR! And if you can't find an emerald the 3 stone will be gorgeous.

finerthings

Brilliant_Rock
I guess I got so excited when I saw the emerald @RosieR that I didn't pay any attention to the written words in front of me!!! :lol: Good luck with your search!

Neptune

Ideal_Rock

@RosieR, I couldn’t get this photo out of my head, after sharing a similar design with another member yesterday, the combo still looks great on you, imo. Have you made any progress?

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@RosieR, I couldn’t get this photo out of my head, after sharing a similar design with another member yesterday, the combo still looks great on you, imo. Have you made any progress?

Hi @Neptune the local jeweller didn’t have the correct size emerald for me. The one in the photo was a bit too small to match my existing stone. The larger ones didn’t have that special emerald glow. Unfortunately I felt like the jeweller was pushing me to pick a stone I ultimately was not happy with. Then pandemic happened. I was desperate to have a gift for my 40th which ended up being during the height of lockdown, so again, turned to pricescope. A lovely PSer was selling her old Erica Winters Laurel setting. Grace (of jewels by) said it would fit my stone. She managed to facilitate international shipping and a resize during a pandemic and riots. I managed to get my diamond set by a local jeweller and I now wear it most days. To be honest though, I often think about a reset, as this is not what I originally wanted, but it does fit in nicely with the rest of my collection.
3FE5A91C-5136-43A1-8E86-5E49D9DA6A53.jpeg 6FCF854B-92CE-4C59-8127-830F61DE717C.jpeg 8FDEDAF5-9B57-40E2-9F79-4CCA485B9FDD.jpeg

Neptune

Ideal_Rock
Hi @Neptune the local jeweller didn’t have the correct size emerald for me. The one in the photo was a bit too small to match my existing stone. The larger ones didn’t have that special emerald glow. Unfortunately I felt like the jeweller was pushing me to pick a stone I ultimately was not happy with. Then pandemic happened. I was desperate to have a gift for my 40th which ended up being during the height of lockdown, so again, turned to pricescope. A lovely PSer was selling her old Erica Winters Laurel setting. Grace (of jewels by) said it would fit my stone. She managed to facilitate international shipping and a resize during a pandemic and riots. I managed to get my diamond set by a local jeweller and I now wear it most days. To be honest though, I often think about a reset, as this is not what I originally wanted, but it does fit in nicely with the rest of my collection.
3FE5A91C-5136-43A1-8E86-5E49D9DA6A53.jpeg 6FCF854B-92CE-4C59-8127-830F61DE717C.jpeg 8FDEDAF5-9B57-40E2-9F79-4CCA485B9FDD.jpeg

Exquisite setting, that basket! :love:
Pushy salesman is no fun, especially to an informed shopper.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results