• No

Votes: 18 64.3%
  • Depends (please explain)

Votes: 7 25.0%

• Total voters

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello fellow Pricescoper’s! I have a loose diamond and would love to make a moi et toi ring with a similar sized emerald to wear as a right hand ring most days. Is this a crazy thought or should I just go for it as long as I choose a stone without surface reaching fissures? I’m not happy to do a bezel setting as my diamond is over 2.5 carats and it will make the ring quite big. Any input greatly appreciated

Reactions: AV_

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi! So I would like to respond to your question on the other thread here so we do not threadjack.
No, the reason is not because emeralds require more special care, at least that is just not the main reason.
But you have a relatively large old cut, correct?
Given the shape and character of your diamond I would not pair it with an emerald because:
1. They would steal the show from each other IMHO.
2. to find a ”matching“ emerald would be hard
And
3: yes it may end up driving you bonkers that you do need to clean a diamond more often and in an ultrasonic it is convenient but an emerald cannot be put in there.

Many of us own emerald rings, even expensive ones. It is fine. You can have several RHR. I would just Split this into two different projects like I mentioned on your other thread.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I think you should give more information. I will consider such things as A) how protective is the setting design, B) the size and depth of the emerald needed, and C) what cut is the emerald as well as D) clarity of the emerald.

For a RHR, you should consider the height of the ring when set. A lower setting reduces the chance of knocking the ring on accident and chipping the gems. A protective setting can absorb the shock and reduce the force on the corners or edges of the stone. Marquis and pear cuts have corners that easily chip/break.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
An emerald of the physical size (especially one that is clean and mostly free of enhancements) will cost...a lot. A 2ct emerald will be a different size than a 2ct diamond, so I think you should really be careful of going ct to ct with different stones.

I won't say to not do it or that its a dumb idea, but understand what you're getting into. Care for emeralds are very different than for diamonds. I'd do a search on emerald threads in colored stones to get a good grasp of what you'll need to expect from a care perspective.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi! So I would like to respond to your question on the other thread here so we do not threadjack.
No, the reason is not because emeralds require more special care, at least that is just not the main reason.
But you have a relatively large old cut, correct?
Given the shape and character of your diamond I would not pair it with an emerald because:
1. They would steal the show from each other IMHO.
2. to find a ”matching“ emerald would be hard
And
3: yes it may end up driving you bonkers that you do need to clean a diamond more often and in an ultrasonic it is convenient but an emerald cannot be put in there.

Many of us own emerald rings, even expensive ones. It is fine. You can have several RHR. I would just Split this into two different projects like I mentioned on your other thread.

Thanks so much for your time @Sunstorm I know what you mean about stealing the show. I love both diamonds and emeralds but I’m finding that when my stone is placed next to an emerald, I love my diamond more. I just thought it meant I have not found an equally beautiful emerald yet, which I’m worried as @voce mentioned it could be hard to match. B05A5388-3437-466A-AAAB-BB5A1B5D15AF.jpeg

voce

Ideal_Rock
Thanks so much for your time @Sunstorm I know what you mean about stealing the show. I love both diamonds and emeralds but I’m finding that when my stone is placed next to an emerald, I love my diamond more. I just thought it meant I have not found an equally beautiful emerald yet, which I’m worried as @voce mentioned it could be hard to match. B05A5388-3437-466A-AAAB-BB5A1B5D15AF.jpeg

Why does it need to be a toi et moi design? If the purpose of the emerald is to make your diamond look better, you should just halo your diamond with emeralds. It will create a beautiful contrasting look. The size of the diamond and emerald will be huge, and it doesn't make sense to spend so much money on a round 2 ct clean emerald, just to have your diamond look better next to it, when you could have a far more aesthetically pleasing halo or 3 stone (with emerald sidestones) design for less money.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you should give more information. I will consider such things as A) how protective is the setting design, B) the size and depth of the emerald needed, and C) what cut is the emerald as well as D) clarity of the emerald.

For a RHR, you should consider the height of the ring when set. A lower setting reduces the chance of knocking the ring on accident and chipping the gems. A protective setting can absorb the shock and reduce the force on the corners or edges of the stone. Marquis and pear cuts have corners that easily chip/break.

Hi @voce thanks for chiming in! A) This is the setting I really like please see above
B) my diamond is 8.91x8.44x 5.55mm
C) the photo shows a round diamond and emerald but I’m open to more cushion shaped too as my stone is not round.
D) I just want no surface reaching fissures and I’m partial to a slight ‘jardin’ though I am looking at Zambians which tend to have higher clarity if I’m correct? 61EB6193-4D13-43D5-A2C2-5BE63DB68252.png 61EB6193-4D13-43D5-A2C2-5BE63DB68252.png

Reactions: AV_

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why does it need to be a toi et moi design? If the purpose of the emerald is to make your diamond look better, you should just halo your diamond with emeralds. It will create a beautiful contrasting look. The size of the diamond and emerald will be huge, and it doesn't make sense to spend so much money on a round 2 ct clean emerald, just to have your diamond look better next to it, when you could have a far more aesthetically pleasing halo or 3 stone (with emerald sidestones) design for less money.

Thanks @voce the aim is not to make the diamond look better. It’s just I’m finding my diamond out sparkles and looks better than the emeralds I’ve seen so far. I love diamonds and emerald and like the symbolism of the moi et toi.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hi @voce thanks for chiming in! A) This is the setting I really like please see above
B) my diamond is 8.91x8.44x 5.55mm
C) the photo shows a round diamond and emerald but I’m open to more cushion shaped too as my stone is not round.
D) I just want no surface reaching fissures and I’m partial to a slight ‘jardin’ though I am looking at Zambians which tend to have higher clarity if I’m correct? 61EB6193-4D13-43D5-A2C2-5BE63DB68252.png 61EB6193-4D13-43D5-A2C2-5BE63DB68252.png

After seeing this design, I would not recommend using an expensive emerald in it. You might get lucky if you are extremely careful with your rings, but the setting is just not protective at all, and chipping or cracking is pretty likely over the long haul with the setting. If you are dead set on this design, might I persuade you to get a synthetic emerald instead of risking thousands of dollars on a natural emerald?

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such a ring will be very beautiful, but as a RH everyday ring, tricky.
are you right handed? You see everytime you open a drawer, open a door, search for something in your bag, reach for something, pick something up your ring is apt to be accidentally bumped. Most gems are fine with this but emeralds due to their crystal structure are brittle and can cleave.
cleaving is literally splitting apart.
i would certainly bezel set the emerald, yellow gold looks lovely. You could then prong set your diamond in white gold or platinum to create an additional design element.

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@RosieR right, I am even more convinced now that you will not find a “matching”emerald looking at your pix.
Pretty emeralds but I think it really bothers me that diamonds have a hard look wheras emeralds have a soft look. Brilliance vs velvety sheen. I would really stick to old cut three stone. That would be a much better match also in style.
I adore emeralds, my personal favorite gems are emeralds and old cut diamonds but I would just keep the two in two separate rings even if you have to wait a bit with the second project.
At the end it is up to you though!:)))

Rad_Fan

Ideal_Rock
Paging @T L, who is an emerald LOVER and wears 5 rings on a daily basis...!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you wearing it everyday?

There is a lot of worry on PS about protecting stones etc but it really depends on how often you wear it and what you're doing when you're wearing it.

I have a dozen rings with stones that are set in various ways (usually unprotected) and they have been fine. Not a single nick on them. Emeralds, zircons etc

That said I only wear them for a few hours while I'm out and they come off at home.

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
...You might get lucky if you are extremely careful with your rings, but the setting is just not protective at all, and chipping or cracking is pretty likely over the long haul with the setting.

I second this and a few of the others -- no emeralds for every-day dominant-hand wear. Spouse loves hers and never wears it -- always in safe-deposit box waiting for a special-enough occasion. She wears her emerald earrings and a pretty bangle with cheap emeralds with no fear!

Sunstorm

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You can wear it and it should not sit in a safe but I do the same that @mellowyellowgirl does. I will wear my very expensive emerald for an important meeting or just because but only for a few hours. I am very conscious when I wear jewelry like that though.

I usually wear my emerald ring on the right hand middle finger and remember then to use my lett hand for opening doors, searching in my purse, etc. But we also have to remember all the antique emeralds that survived a lot and it is a shame if a beautiful jewel is not worn but yes we can have our special occassion pieces!

Then again anything can happen to anything at any time. I once slipped on ice and fell badly... on my hands! I paid attention to fall on my palms. My rings needed a little work and polish after but was lucky that it was only the metal. I think with fine jewelry especially high jewelry you just have to pay attention and for daily use I wear fun rings and focus on earrings. But each to their own.:)))

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree completely @Sunstorm

I also think life is too short and fleeting to not set jewellery the way you want it.

I have been known to wear dangerously set rings while wrangling young children. There is also an element of luck too. You can set it like a fortress but one fall or wack the wrong way and you'll still damage it. Might as well do what makes you happy!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock

Have you seen a super glowy emerald before/yet? Maybe it will take one like that.

Also have you considered using a tsavorite instead?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to ask...

… can emerald be set in a tension setting?

Or does the fact it is at risk of cleaving (due to the structure) mean a compression setting is not wise?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to ask...

… can emerald be set in a tension setting?

Or does the fact it is at risk of cleaving (due to the structure) mean a compression setting is not wise?

I would only use diamond for a tension setting, even then, you still need to worry about it coming loose.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hello fellow Pricescoper’s! I have a loose diamond and would love to make a moi et toi ring with a similar sized emerald to wear as a right hand ring most days. Is this a crazy thought or should I just go for it as long as I choose a stone without surface reaching fissures? I’m not happy to do a bezel setting as my diamond is over 2.5 carats and it will make the ring quite big. Any input greatly appreciated

Sorry, I didn’t read all the comments, but I would never bezel an emerald. They’re too full of fractures and inclusions to bezel safely.

I think a bypass idea is lovely though, and you could halo the emerald to give it added protection. The diamond could stay un-haloed.

I love diamond and emerald together, and I see no problem using a soft toothbrush to clean the diamond and the emerald with a delicate jewelry cleaner (no ammonia). Never ever put emerald in an ultrasonic cleaner!!

Last edited:

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Are you wearing it everyday?

There is a lot of worry on PS about protecting stones etc but it really depends on how often you wear it and what you're doing when you're wearing it.

I have a dozen rings with stones that are set in various ways (usually unprotected) and they have been fine. Not a single nick on them. Emeralds, zircons etc

That said I only wear them for a few hours while I'm out and they come off at home.
Thanks for your reply @mellowyellowgirl , yes I plan on wearing the ring most days. I work with my hands for a living, so 4 days a week when I’m in clinic it will be off, only putting them back on again when I do paper work.

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi @Sunstorm and @Bron357 I’m starting to worry that this ring might not be for me. Im rarely at special occasions and if I’m paying out £££££ for this ring, I want to enjoy it as much as possible

RosieR

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you seen a super glowy emerald before/yet? Maybe it will take one like that.

Also have you considered using a tsavorite instead?

yes the one to the right of my diamond in the above picture glows like you wouldn’t believe! Just it’s not equal in size (1.8 or so carats) so I’m not going to take it. I’m not interested in a tsavorite as it doesn’t have that magical glow

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would only use diamond for a tension setting, even then, you still need to worry about it coming loose.

Damn.

An awesome emerald EC or asscher in a tension setting would be amazing!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Damn.

An awesome emerald EC or asscher in a tension setting would be amazing!

There are fake tension settings where the stone sits in a basket, and is held in the ring by prongs, but there’s metal around the stone, looking like it’s tension set.

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have been considering setting my 1.10 asscher shape emerald with a round diamond in a moi et toi right pointer special occasion ring, but lately I have been thinking of haloing it.

So I’m there with you.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Emeralds are gorgeous but they are never going to have the fire and sparkle of a diamond. I'd halo the emerald personally with smaller diamonds to show it off rather than have two stones competing with each other.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi @Sunstorm and @Bron357 I’m starting to worry that this ring might not be for me. Im rarely at special occasions and if I’m paying out £££££ for this ring, I want to enjoy it as much as possible

I think its a lovelly idea
I have my mother's emerald ring
It is the least expensive of her rings so my sister didn't want it but i was with mum the day she brought it and i was overjoyed to get it as i always loved it
That being said of the rings i inherited (5) its the one i wear the least because i don't want to knock it
My mun look great care of her jewlery and it would be the youngest ring (mid 80s) but when i got them valued it was the one showing the most wear and tear - nothing major but it definatly goes to show eneralds are not as durable

Maybe think of a new project for a beautiful emerald coctail ring you wear occasionally and pick another stone for this one

AV_

Ideal_Rock
You could use a carved emerald. They take wear better. The ring would be quite a rare sight - on the fun side of classical!

digressing

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Tsavorite? Maybe just take a look at some? Personally I love emeralds and diamonds. I have an emerald wrap that can “turn” my solitaire into a 3 stone. So pretty together!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results