shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald ring.15ct cabochon Muzo.Is it a good stone?

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
Hello and Happy New Year to everyone.
I love this forum and read the posts very regularly.
Recently, my husband purchased an Emerald ring for me as a Christmas present. My birthstone is emerald. The stone is a Colombian Muzo emerald, almost 15 carats in an 18K white gold setting surrounded by almost 2 ct F, VS1-VS2 diamonds.
It is so hard to judge emeralds because they are the dirtiest precious stones, but they are so beautiful. The stone is much prettier in person and my Iphone camera can't catch the true color. The color is bluish-green, the most desirable muzo color. The ring came with an AGL certificate that states that enhancement is minor.
My husband paid about $5k for the ring. Is it worth it? Should I keep it or return?
I would really appreciate comments about the stone.
Thank you.
Happy New Year!

_38780.jpg

_38781.jpg

_38782.jpg

_38783.jpg

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
I uploaded more pictures of the ring.

_38784.jpg

_38785.jpg

_38786.jpg

agl_certificate-page-001__1_.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an incredibly thoughtful (and huge!) gift. I'm not sure I can help much on the value. While it is very large, it is a cabochon with a high level of inclusions. If you are really curious as to whether it is a good price, you can see if you can find comps at Embassy Emeralds and other emerald dealers. Langs antiques will probably give a good idea of comps for settings. I would think its a fair price to pay for the setting and an included emerald of that size, but more importantly, do you like it? Will you wear it? It is definitely eye catching and glamorous! Given its size, just make sure it doesn't have any inclusions that could impact its durability since emeralds are a bit fragile and could easily be damaged if hit.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert, however, for 5k USD, it will definitely be a keeper for me, as I love its shape and colour, let alone the size!

Thanks for sharing!

DK :love: :love: :love:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm going to preface tat I'm not in the trade. But I will also say that yes, thats a good price for what you have. 5k for size and clarity of the center stone is extremely good + the setting. Not sure how many grams of gold is in it, but diamonds being as large and clean as they are makes me think we're not talking a lightweight ring. Yes there's treatment but many many emeralds are anymore.

Its a doorknocker of a ring :D I love it. I'd wear the hell out of it. :mrgreen:

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
Thank you. It is not heavy because the setting is made of 18K gold. Total weight is 10.7-10.8 grams. I prefer platinum. The seller sold this emerald as AAA quality and a fine emerald. It looks cheap when the light is not right. If the light is right, OMG! The color is so amazing, a true muzo color. The ring is old, from 1930.

img_14236.jpg

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
Arcadian|1483125928|4110807 said:
5k for size and clarity of the center stone is extremely good + the setting.
Its a doorknocker of a ring :D I love it. I'd wear the hell out of it. :mrgreen:

Do you think that the clarity is EXTREMELY good? Is it included, that is why the cut is cabochon. Thank you for your comment.

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1483124656|4110799 said:
If you are really curious as to whether it is a good price, you can see if you can find comps at Embassy Emeralds and other emerald dealers. Langs antiques will probably give a good idea of comps for settings.

Thank you for your advise. Your advise is very valuable. One jeweler in Chicago refused to resize (1 size down) it, because he doesn't want to be responsible if the stone cracks when he will be heating the setting. He said the same that emeralds are fragile stones.
Happy New Year!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vasilisa|1483127457|4110816 said:
Arcadian|1483125928|4110807 said:
5k for size and clarity of the center stone is extremely good + the setting.

Do you think that the clarity is EXTREMELY good? Is it included, that is why the cut is cabochon. Thank you for your comment.

When it comes to colored stones, there are three classes. Emeralds are in the last class, type III.

https://www.gemsociety.org/article/a-consumers-guide-to-gem-grading/

So yes when I say its got extremely good clarity, I mean so within its class. The minimal treatment the stone has, does enhance that clarity. If it was a really horrible stone, the treatment would be much more. Plus lets be honest, there's some emeralds that can be horribly included.

Basically don't try to use diamond grades with a type II or III stone, thats some serious apples and oranges. And there's also differences between type II and III stones, and again, apples and oranges.

A flaw free emerald is a rare thing indeed. The one you have is very nice. Enjoy :)

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's awesome. I wouldn't kick this ring out of my bed!!!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This ring does not appear to be from 1930. It seems to me to be a modern ring (estate rather than antique). If the seller said it was from 1930, that makes me question the integrity of the seller. If it were my $5,000, I would spend it elsewhere, but if you like the center stone and the diamonds and setting don't bother you, I don't think you were significantly overcharged. I would advise you to get the prongs checked frequently, because they appear to be pretty short compared to the stone, and I wouldn't trust them to stay secure.

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
Tourmaline|1483193643|4111033 said:
This ring does not appear to be from 1930. It seems to me to be a modern ring (estate rather than antique). If the seller said it was from 1930, that makes me question the integrity of the seller.
The seller told me that it is 30-40 years old. Almost my age :) I was wrong. One of the prongs has a crack. As I mentioned before, one jeweler refused to resize it. Should I add more prongs to the ring? The prongs look short to me also. Thank you for your advice. Happy New Year!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Vasilisa|1483203831|4111071 said:
This ring does not appear to be from 1930. It seems to me to be a modern ring (estate rather than antique). If the seller said it was from 1930, that makes me question the integrity of the seller.
The seller told me that it is 30-40 years old. Almost my age :) I was wrong. One of the prongs has a crack. As I mentioned before, one jeweler refused to resize it. Should I add more prongs to the ring? The prongs look short to me also. Thank you for your advice. Happy New Year!

I don't think the setting is high quality. The diamonds seem to be cloudy and not well cut, and the setting itself isn't substantial. If you love the stone, I would scrap the ring and start over, but the stone may not be worth what you and your husband paid for the ring. It may be, though.

Happy New Year to you, too! We overpaid for a semiprecious ring this year because I love the cut and setting...it's not a terrible thing to do if you have the funds. :)

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
Tourmaline|1483207628|4111093 said:
Vasilisa|1483203831|4111071 said:

I don't think the setting is high quality. The diamonds seem to be cloudy and not well cut, and the setting itself isn't substantial. If you love the stone, I would scrap the ring and start over, but the stone may not be worth what you and your husband paid for the ring. It may be, though.

The diamonds are really good.My pictures don't show the beauty of the diamonds. They have no inclusions at all, no cloudy and the color is F-G , the clarity is VS2. The diamonds on my wedding band have inclusions and I can see them. I can't find good jewelers in Chicago to check the ring. :wall:

mastercutgems

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Happy New Year !!!! :dance:

I think it is a very nice ring ; but just an ole humble opinion here :)

As for the points made on the prongs I agree; they are short and not enough of them to secure that huge, fine cabochon emerald...

If it were mine and I was looking to " beef-up" the mount I would find a jeweler that has access to a laser as a good stone setter/metal-worker could take that cabochon out and go in and drill/ peg/ laser 6 to eight new prongs preferring 18k palladium white gold as it is a much more forgiving/dead soft white gold other than nickel/gold which is more brittle and prone to cracks when pushing as in prong setting. Also they ( the metal worker) will take them all about 3mm longer and point them therefore the prong will secure the huge emerald cab a little further over the radius of the dome to secure it better and also protect the cab from glancing blows it may incur ..

But I think it is a statement piece and will surely get attention :)

Most Respectfully;

Dana Reynolds
ASG Certified
Supreme Master Gem Cutter
#96CGE42

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it is stunning and would keep it. Do you love it?

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys for expressing your opinion. I appreciate it. :)

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
I still can't decide whether to keep the ring or return it. My concern is the color and clarity of the stone. I don't know if it is good or not.

_38792.jpg

_38793.jpg

_38794.jpg

_38795.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you say your photos are representative of what you see in real life? It is hard for us to comment in the absence of accurate photos from which we can judge...

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1483328809|4111493 said:
Would you say your photos are representative of what you see in real life? It is hard for us to comment in the absence of accurate photos from which we can judge...
My pictures can't really represent what I see in real life. Sometimes it looks so beautiful to me when the light is right. When the light isn't right, I don't like it. The problem is that I know very little about emeralds. I also got upset because the prongs don't hold the emerald tight and I can spin the stone. :confused:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally would never want to keep a ring that "when the light isn't right, I don't like it." I've learned the hard way that I better make sure that I at least strongly like the stone in all lighting situations.

Honestly, in your photos, the diamonds look cloudy and the emerald quite included and lacking the intense saturation that produces the glow that high quality emeralds are known for. While it is true that emeralds are a type III stone, and jardin inclusions are typical and expected, I would not want the stone to have any black or dark inclusions, as these are just too noticeable.

It feels to me like you are sitting on the fence and unable to make up your mind on the ring. Many here have learned that we really need to LOVE whatever we are considering purchasing, and if we don't always love it, we have to pass it up.

Hope that helps.

gem-hunter

Rough_Rock
My viewpoint is from an old man who collected fine emeralds for over 40 years. I think the quality and color of the is pretty good considering it's large size. I also think the price paid was very fair. That being said, I think the stone looks pretentious in that setting and would probably in any ring. In my opinion, it's too large for a ring. Much better for a necklace or bracelet where it won't look out of place.

I recommend a fine 2-4 carat stone with excellent color and clarity and use some of the diamonds in the ring design.

Please consider my opinion to be worth every cent that you paid for it.

[emoji4]

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
gem-hunter|1483400357|4111681 said:
My viewpoint is from an old man who collected fine emeralds for over 40 years. I think the quality and color of the is pretty good considering it's large size. I also think the price paid was very fair. That being said, I think the stone looks pretentious in that setting and would probably in any ring. In my opinion, it's too large for a ring. Much better for a necklace or bracelet where it won't look out of place.[emoji4]
Thank you for sharing your opinion. I still can't decide. I like the ring and don't like it. I am a practical person. I consider my jewelry as an investment. If something happens, I should be able to sell the ring and get some money back. Nothing is stable and that's why I am very careful. I like big rings and understand that I'll pay a fortune for a fine 15ct emerald stone.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Vasilisa|1483406349|4111716 said:
gem-hunter|1483400357|4111681 said:
Thank you for sharing your opinion. I still can't decide. I like the ring and don't like it. I am a practical person. I consider my jewelry as an investment. If something happens, I should be able to sell the ring and get some money back. Nothing is stable and that's why I am very careful. I like big rings and understand that I'll pay a fortune for a fine 15ct emerald stone.

HI:

Much of you say is contradictory.

"I like it...and I don't.
I am a practical person...I consider my jewelry as an investment.
Nothing is stable...I should be able to sell the ring....and that is why I am careful."

HUH? Notwithstanding your former posts are about large emerald and diamond rings....aka..."Are they worth it"?

Like GemHuter said, 'my opinion" is worth every penny you paid for it.

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
minousbijoux|1483124656|4110799 said:
If you are really curious as to whether it is a good price, you can see if you can find comps at Embassy Emeralds and other emerald dealers. Langs antiques will probably give a good idea of comps for settings.

Minousbijoux, thanks for all your advice :wavey: . I sent an email to Embassy Emeralds and they replied immediately. I was really surprised. This is what Garrett wrote:"
THE EMERALD
A 15 carat emerald of almost any quality is going to add up in cost. The larger the size, the steeper the price curve per carat. I’m not saying it is, but hypothetically, if your emerald would be valued at $100-$200 per carat, that equates to $1500-$3000. It’s possible or maybe even likely that some could ask even more per carat for this stone today. Cabochons often are heavily enhanced. Yours is certified as minor and appears to have a nice color. It’s not the cleanest, but for a cabochon emerald of 15 carats. It’s a definitely not a bad stone. Rarely are cabs made from the best emerald material so inclusions are to be expected and accepted. You might look at inclusions as a way to remind us of where the stone comes from. It’s easy to forget that these beautiful stones were formed deep in the earth over millions of years. "

Also, I sent an email to " Langs antiques" and they recommended GemWorld International in the Chicago area. I am going to go to GemWorld International tomorrow. I am curious what they are going to say.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Honestly, at this point, I don't know why you are doing all this work. If you loved the stone and ring, you wouldn't need this analysis for reassurance, but would be thrilled to have it. Imo, there is no other reason to keep a ring other than you love it - and you clearly do not.

I happen to think, like gemhunter, that there may be less of a market for a stone that size as a ring (while others might, I would not be interested in a ring with a stone that large). I agree that it would be better to get a smaller stone of greater quality and have that be your ring. The only exception to this idea, in my mind, is if you love it - and you seem not to.

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
The seller sold the ring describing as "minor OIL treatment". I was analyzing the AGL report and noticed that the type of enhancement was MODERN. According to Chris Smith, President, and owner of American Gemological Laboratories (AGL), "There are those traditional materials which have historically been used to clarity enhance emeralds (and other gems), involving the use of various oils, waxes or natural tree resins. In addition there are modern materials involving various types of petroleum-derived, polymer-type resins which have been increasingly used since the late 1980’s to clarity enhance gems. In today’s market all of these materials are routinely used to clarity enhance emeralds."
I appreciate and consider every opinion here. Since some of you are really good experts, would you pls explain what type of treatment is better for emeralds?
Thank you.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your opening post sounded like you really liked the ring.........then you weren't sure.......and then it seemed that you wanted to know that the ring is worth more than was paid. I'm guessing whoever gave it to you did so because they thought you would like the ring and it may have been given with an emotional context rather than what you keep wanting to find.

You have a lot of info that has been provided.......perhaps you can sit down and review it and/or consider meeting face to face with someone as that is literally the only way to accurately assess a stone/setting/etc, when you want more information than the certificate that came with it.

Vasilisa

Rough_Rock
I've already spent 6 days with the ring. It feels like that I am falling in love with the stone because this deep bluish-green color slowly "touching" my heart. It is impossible to capture the true color of the stone with my Iphone 6S camera. The stone looks much better in person. I agree with mastercutgems that it would be better to "beef up" the mount adding additional prongs. I've just read the article from http://www.preciousgemstones.com/gfwin97one.html and was shocked that "the heat involved in resetting the emerald stone resulted in Dorree Lynn's emerald dropping in value from $40,000 to $5,000".

I've talked to 2 different jewelers in Chicago and they refused to resize it. At least, they were honest and didn't want to be responsible because emeralds are fragile.
PS experts, would you pls recommend a reputable jeweler who would resize the ring and add more prongs? I would rather pay more and deal with a knowledgeable jeweler. I think it is not a big deal for a jeweler if he takes out the stone, goes in and drills 8 new prongs.
Thank you for all your help. Your posts helped me a lot.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are having this much doubts about the ring, I would return it. I'm guessing based on the AGL report that it is clarity enhanced with resin, which I don't have issues with but if the vendor who sold it said it's oil, well..... $5K is a good amount of change for you to be of 2 minds about it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results