carat
color
clarity

Emerald RHR setting frustration

princess_peach

Rough_Rock
MollyMalone|1384391343|3556070 said:
princess_peach said:
I surprised myself with that burst of decisiveness! Do you agree it looks nicer with baguettes than with the round brilliant?
Absolutely! Please don't second-guess yourself; you made the perfect choice here (and I'm not saying that just 'cause I think baguettes don't get enough love).

If you'd be willing to share the cost of refurbishing the semi-mount and setting the stone -- plus any other information that could be useful to others, like how-where you found the emerald; which places in NYC's Diamond District you found most helpful (or conversely, most difficult) when you tromped around there -- we're all ears! :wavey:

I am glad the PS community is pro-baguette. :))
The budget for the setting was ~2K. For the semi mount (as-is with baguettes), setting the stone, and polishing etc I am paying $1900.
I originally was going to have the stone set by my jeweler http://www.diamondideals.com/(where I got my e-ring/bands etc). The few semi mounts they had available for emerald cut I thought were too engagement-y. Nothing grabbed me, or seemed to be "Mom". I decided to look around the diamond district to see if I could find something else 'ready made', or get ideas for custom. If I had gone custom I would have gone back to my jeweler. They do good work (ie my engagement ring and e-ring upgrade!). It was the gemologist at my jeweler who actually found me the emerald. I was so frustrated with looking online. I would see two seemingly similar emeralds, and one would be $500, and the other $5,000! Unlike diamonds, there are no strict guidelines/measurements/4 C's when buying CS and the process is confusing and frustrating. :angryfire: Although my jeweler doesn't advertise selling colored gemstones, out of desperation I went to them for help and asked for a reputable dealer recommendation. Turns out the gemologist is a huge CS lover and hunted down a nice selection of maybe 5 or 6 stones for me to view in person, all different price points. It was so nice looking at them individually and then comparing them, like you would diamonds!
There is an antique jeweler in that same building, http://www.grayanddavis.com/ and whenever I pass I look in the window to LUST after a uniquely shaped step cut ring. :love: I went in there the other morning to look around, and was shown a few semi mounts...and done!! I was nervous about leaving the emerald there, because I don't know them yet and had never worked with them before. They said the ring should be done in maybe a week. I will show pics and let you know how I fared. For once, I will want the weekend to hurry up and be over already! :cheeky:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very classy and elegant. It is a ring that any woman will to wear with pride. The lines are clean and simple, the baguette diamonds do not compete with the emerald but rather, enhance it. And all within budget. :appl:

princess_peach

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1384435116|3556304 said:
Very classy and elegant. It is a ring that any woman will to wear with pride. The lines are clean and simple, the baguette diamonds do not compete with the emerald but rather, enhance it. And all within budget. :appl:
Thank you for the positive feedback! =)
As a 60+ woman, I think mom will be happy with a timeless look, rather than trendy. Kennedy, not Kardashian ;))
And I didn't go broke! Hooray! :tongue:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your emerald is in good hands; Gray & Davis has an excellent reputation (now that you've mentioned them, I'm kicking myself I've not been back there in a number of years; I really enjoyed my past visits with them). And how wonderful that the gemologist at Diamond Deals could be of such assistance re the emerald; I bet it was a fun change of pace for him too.

The kind of service and personal interaction you experienced is why I hope the Internet never causes (good) brick-and-mortar establishments to become extinct. This has been such an fun, happy story, thank you for sharing it -- and again, BRAVO :appl:

princess_peach

Rough_Rock
Got a phone call from the jeweler...the ring is ready! :o Will pick it up today. I really hope it looks great and there is nothing that needs to be tweaked.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Keeping my fingers crossed that it is everything you want and expected. :))

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Can't wait to see pics. It looks like just what you described your Mom likes! Yahooo!

princess_peach

Rough_Rock
NEW PHOTOS!!
Here are pictures of the finished ring. It was really hard to take a good photo! The overhead spotlighting at the jeweler was terrific...regular fluorescent & outdoor lighting make the emerald not very photogenic. :(sad
When scrutinizing the finished ring, I had to keep reminding myself that it is an antique and not perfect & brand new.
Do you think the claw prongs are weird? They grip more toward the outer edge of the stones clipped corner, not really in the center.
Honest opinions please! Like? :love: Meh? :| or Fail? :nono:
imag0726.jpg imag0727.jpg imag0728.jpg imag0730.jpg imag0734.jpg imag0732.jpg imag0742.jpg imag0748.jpg imag0755.jpg imag0753.jpg imag0756.jpg imag0736.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you get the jeweller to center the double prongs squarely in the middle of the shoulders? One is too far to one side of the shoulder, and two are practically off the shoulder.

princess_peach

Rough_Rock
;(
I emailed G&D, and they said to bring it back in. However, their jeweler obviously thinks it looks ok....?
I emailed my jeweler @ DI to see if they could fix it.
Fingers crossed.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
First off, I hope you are happy with it, as its such a labor of love and looks to be elegant. Its hard to tell from your photos, but I'm hoping that your emerald has a bit of the blue green glow what we all lust over? While I found it hard to see in your photos, it does seem that the prongs are not consistently place from one corner to another, probably due to the idiosyncrasies of the stone. Still, you are paying them and have the right to be satisfied. You never know what their jeweler thought (perhaps an assistant worked on your ring?) and a serious jeweler who cares about the details and pleasing the customer will certainly take your concerns seriously...good luck.

princess_peach

Rough_Rock
SO here is an update...
I brought the emerald ring to my jeweler at DI....I trust them... even my precious engagement ring has had a 'sleep over' at their establishment. =)
They looked at the emerald ring and said that even if they re-tipped the prongs it wouldn't make much of a difference. The ring is just way too small to accommodate the stone. They are going to replace the head and put in a new basket, which will be tricky because the ring is all one piece and the baguettes are held in by the head. They also pointed out a gouge in the side of the ring, it is noticeably concave on one side. I didn't even realize, being so obsessed with the prongs. I think G&D should refund me the price of the repair (wishful thinking).
I had asked them several times if the fit/size was okay and if the jeweler was running into any problems...they said "yes, yes...everything is great...super-duper!". They even dissuaded me from getting a similar ring I liked with a larger head. They offered to "fix" this ring when I emailed about the wonky prongs, but I can only imagine how even more a mangled and shoddy mess it would become. Oh well, live and learn. This is turning out to be one expensive present. I should have just done a custom setting all along... :nono:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Before you have your usual jeweller work on it, I would return to the original jeweller (the one who sold you the setting and set the emerald) to inform them of the issues you shared with us.
1. Setting has a gouge in one side of the ring
2. Setting is too small for the stone

From here, you have several options.
1. Return the setting, get your refund and start afresh
2. Return the setting, see what else they have
3. Keep the setting, have them do the alteration

It is very unlikely they will cover the costs of modification by a different bench. The cleanest way to handle this is to return the setting and start afresh.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
princess peach, I double-checked on this thread just now & am so sorry to learn of this let-down by Gray & Davis. I hope that you will update us -- and that it's happy news!

princess_peach

Rough_Rock
** UPDATE **
Just picked up the ring from DI yesterday. When the jeweler gave me the ring I thought she had put it into a brand new setting. Looks great! This is how it should have looked from the beginning! Very happy with it.
If you compare the previous pictures to the new ones you can see a drastic difference.

imag0797.jpg imag0800.jpg imag0801_0.jpg imag0803.jpg imag0805_0.jpg imag0807.jpg imag0804.jpg imag0808_0.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Perfect fit and correct prong placement. Well done! :appl:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I like the more substantial single prongs. Great job!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This turned out beautiful! I love the setting and the prongs are just right!

princess_peach

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much! Now I am not worried the stone will fall out at the slightest jostle. And the whole ring is shiny and looks new...but isn't! MERRY CHRISTMAS, MOM! :))

Before
imag0734_0.jpg
After
imag0797_0.jpg

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's shameful that Gray & Davis did not do right by you, but isn't it wonderful that Diamonds Ideal came through again for you -- the ring is now perfect! Wish we all could be there to see the look on your mother's face when she opens the little box on Christmas Day :))

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks so perfect! What a nice result!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Much much better, that is how it should look like. And those bigger prongs should provide a little more protection for the corners of the stone.
I think your Mom will like it, I know I do! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results