shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Question

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 8:43:30 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
And there was me thinking ''I NEEEEEEEED an OMC to add to my collection'' and all along, under my nose, I had two lovely ones! Note to self - check jewellery more thoroughly!!!
23.gif

Oooops just seen your post OMC - I agree the absence of an assay hallmark is strange. I wondered about that. It''s definitely platinum and the original shank. You may be right about the date because it fits with my original estimate (give or take) but what would the hallmarks be then? I have a hunch that the PLAT may have been put on later. It''s in a completely different depth, script to everything else. I don''t know why this may have been done but certainly the others look like they were put on at the same time. I also have a vague memory that this ring was designed by my grandfather for my grandmother and was a bespoke piece - maybe that might be why there''s an absence of ''proper'' hallmarks?

I have spoken with Eric before on another ring and he was incredibly helpful - I think he also works in Birmingham but I may be wrong. It''s a great suggestion to contact him. Thank you.
Hi LD,

That is a gorgeous emerald - as fine as anything I''ve seen (Leon Mege has one a little similar on his site at the moment).

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Yup. I''m kind of thinking about that one...

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2009 5:55:01 AM
Author: oldmancoyote

Hi Pyramid,

In reply to your two latest posts: no way on Earth that is chrome diopside. It has a completely different look.

I need to clarify something about UK markings. Prior to 1976, platinum articles weren''t hallmarked. In other words, the Assay Offices were not indipendently certifying the purity and type of material and when it was submitted to the Office for testing. That did not forbid the maker from marking the item as platinum, in addition to any non-UK assay marks it may have had. (By the way, Italy uses 750/585 marking for 18/14k gold and the UK does not use a K or a C in its gold hallmark - just the number of karats/carats).

No I did say about the emerald being appraised, it was just the reference of Siberian I was speaking about.

Never thought about the maker adding more marks other than assay marks. Yes I know the UK doesn''t hallmark anything with a c but the spelling with a k is not english. e.g. if a jeweller were writing it down on paper he would put 18c so I was just saying probably my mothers ring was not british made. It does have british hallmarks though so probably it was made out of the UK and then hallmarked here before being sold in the national chain stores.

Just looked at the ring again and notice it is not a k, (I must have imagined that) it says 18cPlat. So the maybe British maker put that mark on it, before it was hallmarked with the 750 marks.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/25/2009 6:09:51 AM
Author: oldmancoyote
This is a pretty good representation (on my screen) of what chrome diopside looks like. Much darker and slightly muddier green.
Chrome diopside reminds me of dark green bottle glass, in color and sparkle factor (there is none - LOL).

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 8:43:13 AM
Author: Pyramid

No I did say about the emerald being appraised, it was just the reference of Siberian I was speaking about.

Never thought about the maker adding more marks other than assay marks. Yes I know the UK doesn''t hallmark anything with a c but the spelling with a k is not english. e.g. if a jeweller were writing it down on paper he would put 18c so I was just saying probably my mothers ring was not british made. It does have british hallmarks though so probably it was made out of the UK and then hallmarked here before being sold in the national chain stores.

Just looked at the ring again and notice it is not a k, (I must have imagined that) it says 18cPlat. So the maybe British maker put that mark on it, before it was hallmarked with the 750 marks.
Right-o - gotcha. And sorry for the chrome diopside thing; I re-read your post and it''s pretty clear.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a lovely treasure you have there. Great color and clarity on the emerald.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Pyramid - thankfully I don''t watch the jewellery shopping channels but I am aware of Russian Diopside. Honestly, it''s not from there that I''ve got the word Siberian. I collect jewellery and have done for a long time so am usually pretty good when it comes to remembering things like this!

Pandora/OMC - I''ve had my eye on that Leon ring for AGES. It''s gorgeous!

Charmy/Marcy - thanks for your kind comments.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/24/2009 5:43:06 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Steve, with the greatest of respects - this ring is an Emerald. It has been appraised as such.
And a lovely one!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results