shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald earrings from Muzo (George)

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone,

I know most people here buy loose stones and then set them, but I don't have any design creds and am still sitting on the few loose stones I bought years ago so.... just wanted to post about a finished piece that should be on it's way to me very soon.

I think the forum is pretty familiar with George / IEEX / Muzo Emeralds. I've been following them for a while and I love their stones (especially the ones that are out of reach for me!) but they also do a lot of jewelry production from high end to affordable - especially bezel set pieces in the 1-2ct & under range. Really sweet stuff but I associate emeralds with Liz Taylor and Bulgari, so this really caught my eye.

2.JPG

240581358_235238958377426_3360159222754852875_n (2).jpg

I get a lot of Liz vibe but they're wearable and affordable. The emeralds also look really good here and I wanted to go with someone whose "minor" really means "minor", and I find George's emeralds to be finer in general

The specs are: 0.5ct x 2 pears, the rest of the emeralds are another 1ct total. Minor oil and alpine green
Didn't ask about the diamond melee

I know emeralds are very tricky to photograph and already I can see that the two different lighting conditions create different colours, so I hope that I love them as much when they arrive. In any case, George offered a free return, no questions asked, if they don't.

I have a tiny bugbear - being the kind of person who is supposed to do valuation of companies and spot discrepancies for a living, I'm very fixated on specs / value drivers (as I would say in my job) that I read. This was originally listed at 0.7/0.7 ct pears, alpine green. The cert that George showed me today showed 0.5/0.5ct for the pears and "vivid" as the tone. I let George know but also said that I still wanted the earrings.

I know that in the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't matter if I'm happy with the size (larger carats could always spread less), and frankly I don't know if the lab just puts "vivid" for all good green colours because these look more alpine to me?

However, I am fighting my nature to second guess every discrepancy (it's an occupational hazard). I really like them and if the pictures do them justice, perhaps when I finally get them these issues will disappear.

Pricewise, for double the price of these plus a few hundred more, I could probably get a 2.1ct minor, vivid green step cut ring, flanked by two sizeable side diamonds from him, but that doesn't bring the same feeling of "oh wow" as these earrings.

I am getting them to celebrate finishing my first project at my new firm (and career tbh, but that's another story), and also because I have a minor surgery in 8 hours :lol-2: and I loathe stitches (I always seem to heal over them and the removal of stitches traumatizes me more than the surgery)

Will update when I receive these beauties!

M

maru8888777

Hi everyone,

I know most people here buy loose stones and then set them, but I don't have any design creds and am still sitting on the few loose stones I bought years ago so.... just wanted to post about a finished piece that should be on it's way to me very soon.

I think the forum is pretty familiar with George / IEEX / Muzo Emeralds. I've been following them for a while and I love their stones (especially the ones that are out of reach for me!) but they also do a lot of jewelry production from high end to affordable - especially bezel set pieces in the 1-2ct & under range. Really sweet stuff but I associate emeralds with Liz Taylor and Bulgari, so this really caught my eye.

2.JPG

240581358_235238958377426_3360159222754852875_n (2).jpg

I get a lot of Liz vibe but they're wearable and affordable. The emeralds also look really good here and I wanted to go with someone whose "minor" really means "minor", and I find George's emeralds to be finer in general

The specs are: 0.5ct x 2 pears, the rest of the emeralds are another 1ct total. Minor oil and alpine green
Didn't ask about the diamond melee

I know emeralds are very tricky to photograph and already I can see that the two different lighting conditions create different colours, so I hope that I love them as much when they arrive. In any case, George offered a free return, no questions asked, if they don't.

I have a tiny bugbear - being the kind of person who is supposed to do valuation of companies and spot discrepancies for a living, I'm very fixated on specs / value drivers (as I would say in my job) that I read. This was originally listed at 0.7/0.7 ct pears, alpine green. The cert that George showed me today showed 0.5/0.5ct for the pears and "vivid" as the tone. I let George know but also said that I still wanted the earrings.

I know that in the grand scheme of things it probably doesn't matter if I'm happy with the size (larger carats could always spread less), and frankly I don't know if the lab just puts "vivid" for all good green colours because these look more alpine to me?

However, I am fighting my nature to second guess every discrepancy (it's an occupational hazard). I really like them and if the pictures do them justice, perhaps when I finally get them these issues will disappear.

Pricewise, for double the price of these plus a few hundred more, I could probably get a 2.1ct minor, vivid green step cut ring, flanked by two sizeable side diamonds from him, but that doesn't bring the same feeling of "oh wow" as these earrings.

I am getting them to celebrate finishing my first project at my new firm (and career tbh, but that's another story), and also because I have a minor surgery in 8 hours :lol-2: and I loathe stitches (I always seem to heal over them and the removal of stitches traumatizes me more than the surgery)

Will update when I receive these beauties!

These are super cool! I can't wait to see ear shots. A beautiful emerald is next on my list, so please tell us what it was like to work with George!

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Hi guys - sorry am still waiting for an update from George, but it's the weekend so I don't expect a reply till Monday his time - hope he and the bench / lab are having a good rest. (he had asked them to check it a bit and asked the lab to include the CTW)

Excited though!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hope you are recovering well. Congratulations on your success! What a nice way to celebrate!

To me, “vivid” is a high grade descriptor.

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Hello! They came half an hour ago so here are the photos! I would say that the stones are completely true to George's photos and descriptions. No earshots yet as although I like them, there are some issues that make me hesitate on keeping them (more to follow)

First, photos indoors:

Indoor.jpg

They look washed out here but irl the greens are very vivid in indoor lighting, camera isn't cooperating. They look way better than in this photo but emeralds are tricky to photograph!

Photos outdoors:

Sun.jpg

This is magnified but irl the inclusions are not obvious and emeralds tend to have jardins so it doesn't bother me. However what bothers me:

1. The posts are wonky.
I suspect this came from the way they were packaged during shipping. It bothers me only because this is an omega loop closing, and I have to use pressure to open or close the loop as it gets stuck on the post. To me, this represents faster wear and also a high probability of the earring attachment failing and thus going missing. However idk if this is big enough of an issue to send back to George. That being said, I don't have a relationship with any jeweler locally who will help me fix this at a reasonable price as they didn't make the piece

2. One of the side emeralds on the bottom is already chipped.
I'd mentioned to George that I was afraid that they would chip, and asked if I could have them set in the opposite direction (now having read a bit more about setting, I understand that these can't be reset unless adding prongs to the areas).
He said it shouldn't be a problem and also that he would include two spares for me in case they chipped. I don't see the spares so maybe they are in the other package with the certificates, but having them already chipped is not a good sign to me, sadly

3. The big pears have windows, which look like a loss of colour.
I wasn't expecting this. I'm not sure how it would look like against the ears yet because I haven't tried them on for hygiene reasons.

As these weren't cheap at all, I'm quite torn on whether to keep. I think I will get in touch with George again first to ask about what can be done locally for #1 and #2.

Working with George has been very pleasant so far. He is very responsive and before sending the earrings out, he had them replated with Rhodium.

Will post photos of the issues below

Last edited:

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Wonky posts:

backings.jpg

4.jpg

Not sure if it's obvious enough, but the posts are wonky here. It's a problem because on both earrings, the omega loop can't close properly without applying pressure.

Also, the packaging, - looks like I'm buying contraband :lol-2:

Edit: on packaging, They actually did come with a layer of sponge wrapping and a layer cardboard wrapping which I forgot to mention. Then wrapped with newspaper. I don't want to give the impression that these 2 packages were simply thrown into the delivery bag.

However, I suspect that this contributed to the issue and caused the posts to be wonky, as I can't see any other reason? Am also more used to having earrings and rings in boxes for their protection.

1.jpg

Last edited:

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Chipped bottom emerald, not sure if it's obvious. All the emeralds set this way feel a little "loose" ie, if you rest your finger on them, they wiggle a bit. However I'm not a jeweler so I don't know if it's typical for this type of setting

Right hand side

chipped 2.jpg

chipped.jpg

Shown here looking like a little crater

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Erm, why are the stones loose and chipped?? It sounds dodgy to me but I also understand that emeralds are super fragile and chip easily during setting.

Again, if you don’t love it or have doubts, then my advice is no. Unless it’s cheap then nevermind buy to play play but this doesn’t sound cheap.

I’m actually ok with slightly wonky posts as they can become like that after some time anyway. Just need to gently adjust them back. But that’s just me.

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is a good jeweler in Far East Plaza on Scott's Road called jewelery point. I'd have taken it straight there tomorrow when they open to ask about it. But if the stones are wriggly and one is chipped (impossible to fix without a fresh matching melee) then it is difficult to see this being fixed in any reasonably reliable way. And not especially recommended to try as if the chanel set stones are in any way secure; then I'd have been worried more stones could chip in the process of fixing it. I'd have returned and spent a little more to get a nice 2 ct set very simply and shipped more securely.

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Thanks @qubitasaurus , I couldn't go to them today because of prior commitments. I think I'll message George tomorrow and let him know also that I'll need to go to the jewelers to check the next weekend.

@icy_jade I'm afraid that the posts might snap off from the added friction of the omega loop. I've had wonky posts from plain push studs snap off before (thankfully on costume jewelry).

I checked the settings:

• Diamonds are ?grain? set - ie there are tiny looking studs around each stone
  • Emeralds are channel set. Pears are fine, but at least one stone can er, move around abit. I don't know if it's caused by the curve of the end of the "snake". So will take it to the jewelers when I get a chance
Definitely going to follow up with George on that spare pair of pointy bottoms even if I decide to keep it

edit: costumer jewelry

Last edited:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess it all depends on what you spent. I know they seem to have no trouble selling quarter-million-dollar rings from 7- and 9-ct gems (at least according to their IG) -- and hard-selling his mounting and gold work as a fraction of NY prices.

I agree there are some problems there. I suspect his bench has the rings down but maybe not so much these complicated one-offs?

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
I guess it all depends on what you spent. I know they seem to have no trouble selling quarter-million-dollar rings from 7- and 9-ct gems (at least according to their IG) -- and hard-selling his mounting and gold work as a fraction of NY prices.

I agree there are some problems there. I suspect his bench has the rings down but maybe not so much these complicated one-offs?

It's not a king's ransom but it's not cheap either :/ I wanted to get it from him because I liked the design and think the stones are more trustworthy based on the sales of the quarter million dollar rings...

I ordered it guessing that it would be at a premium compared to if I had something similar made locally (didn't go that route as I don't have any jeweler relationships yet), but I don't think I'm comfortable paying that premium knowing the issues with the workmanship now.

Will probably exercise my option to return them.

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Just an update... so I haven't been able to go down to Jewelry Point yet to get the earrings checked out because work, hopefully tmr / this coming weekend instead.

I did communicate with George over the week explaining these concerns. I did like the earrings though so I asked if he would rather give a partial refund or he would rather have the earrings back to resell, and we ended up negotiating a partial discount of slightly under 30%.

I don't know if it's too little but not trying to put anyone out of business so I thought it was reasonable.

Separately I did ask a local jeweler for a quote to make the same in case George would rather me return them, and the quote I got was actually ~60% of what I paid (plus I would also have a local jeweler to go to for any problems).

But I chose to keep George's pair as I really like the design + Muzo + giving credit for the original design in the end. Maybe the wrong choice but oh well.

Anyway, since we agreed on price (still waiting on details for my refund), I wore the earrings for the first time so here are earshots!

Earshot 1.jpg

Earshot 2.jpg

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
They are absolutely gorgeous, very Royal earrings!

Hi Meely, love your cabochon, am trying to see if you have a thread for it but can't find anything. Do you happen to have one?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they’re beautiful earrings and stones, but in hindsight, I suspect the damage to the stones might have happened during the setting process. Bezel and channel setting gems is highly invasive, especially to brittle fractured gems like emeralds. Only the best benches should do this work, and even then there is no guarantee the stone won’t crack or chip under the pressure of a bezel mounting.

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
I think they’re beautiful earrings and stones, but in hindsight, I suspect the damage to the stones might have happened during the setting process. Bezel and channel setting gems is highly invasive, especially to brittle fractured gems like emeralds. Only the best benches should do this work, and even then there is no guarantee the stone won’t crack or chip under the pressure of a bezel mounting.

Thanks TL, I'm a bit surprised as his bench is turning out six figure rings, maybe this design is extra prone to it?

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Update: I received my partial refund from George today and am hoping to pick up my earrings from Kris / Jewelry Point tomorrow (finally managed to get a day off work to drop them off last week).

He's fixing the omega backing / pin misalignment for me.

femmemannequin

Rough_Rock
THE EARRINGS r gorgeoussssss! also the design is unique n edgy . love it

meely

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooh thank you. Just went through the photos and I love that it looks like an emerald in every single one, instead of say green jade

Yes there is no mistaking it’s an emerald it’s got the colour but it’s also got the inclusions!

mewing

Rough_Rock
Thanks @qubitasaurus , I couldn't go to them today because of prior commitments. I think I'll message George tomorrow and let him know also that I'll need to go to the jewelers to check the next weekend.

@icy_jade I'm afraid that the posts might snap off from the added friction of the omega loop. I've had wonky posts from plain push studs snap off before (thankfully on costume jewelry).

I checked the settings:

• Diamonds are ?grain? set - ie there are tiny looking studs around each stone
  • Emeralds are channel set. Pears are fine, but at least one stone can er, move around abit. I don't know if it's caused by the curve of the end of the "snake". So will take it to the jewelers when I get a chance
Definitely going to follow up with George on that spare pair of pointy bottoms even if I decide to keep it

edit: costumer jewelry

Singaporean! Nice! I originally wanted to buy an emerald that would meet the old muzo mine colour grading from George, but I decided against it because I was afraid it would be a nightmare clearing customs. Could you share what were the procedures you had to take?

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they are gorgeous! Very unique design. :love: Agreed not great to receive something brand new with flaws/faults so rather disappointing, however glad you found a resolution with George.

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
I think they are gorgeous! Very unique design. :love: Agreed not great to receive something brand new with flaws/faults so rather disappointing, however glad you found a resolution with George.

Yes he was awesome about it! However, I did learn my lesson about my own risk tolerance about buying online.

In my subsequent online purchases, I ended up asking for a million different photos and asked a million questions. Previously I thought that might be rude, now I realise that I'm potentially inconveniencing both the vendor and myself

Bojambles

Shiny_Rock
Singaporean! Nice! I originally wanted to buy an emerald that would meet the old muzo mine colour grading from George, but I decided against it because I was afraid it would be a nightmare clearing customs. Could you share what were the procedures you had to take?

Hi!

My delivery experience was smooth - there was zero hold up at customs. From memory, George used either Fedex or DHL, and they arrived within a few days. Maybe he pays duties in advance?

That being said, vendors probably can't control customs procedures. Hoping that all goes smooth for you if you make a purchase! Do post about it if you do!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a shame, they were really unusual.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results