shape
carat
color
clarity

emerald cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
some people say that the best L/W ratio for an emerald cut is between 1.5/1.75 or 0.95/1.05 for a squarish one. Blue Nile says it is between 1.30/1.40.
What is correct?
What are the good depth and table % ?
How can we use an ideal depth % when we know that the L/W ratio can be different?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The L/W ratio it's up to you... Choose the one that looks better to you...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
That's purely a matter of personal preference. I like a squat EC myself, so my ideal ratio is about 1.35. I know plenty of others who like them long and skinny.

dazednconfused

Rough_Rock
Stephan,
I think emerald cuts are one of the best cuts. I just purchased one and will recommend the person/vendor if you'd like. I originally thought that 1.5-1.75 L/W was ideal. However, after taking a look as some, I thought that was way too long. I opted for a 1.3. I think that something @ 1.3 (1.25-1.35) looks great. But of course it's your preference. As for the Table & Depth %, I stayed between 60-69 for both. Everything I've read said that a good cut was between these parameters. My stone ended up being 60.2 Depth & 68 Table. I wouldn't worry too much about color. I bought an H color 1.26 with a platinum setting (X prong) and it looks whiter than white. In a solitaire setting an H color is just fine! Clarity was a VS1. Emeralds supposedly show the flaws easier. I can't see a damn thing with the VS1 and doubt I would be able to if it was a VS2. I just wonder if you could go SI1? VS1-VS2 is safe for emeralds. The main thing I looked for was the square millimeter size (L X W) of the stone. The table is the main thing everyone will see and you want to find something that loks the biggest while still falling into the parameters of a good cut. That is why I opted for a lower Depth. This decreased the depth percentage and increased the length & width. The 1.26 that I bought actually looked considerably bigger than the 1.30 that I didn't buy. Just something for you to consider. Here is the characteristics of my diamond and the final price to give you an idea.

Emerald cut
Carat 1.26 7.49x5.69x3.46
Color H
Clarity VS1
Depth 60.2
Table 68
Polish/symmetry Good
Girdle Thin - Slightly Thick
Cost $4400
Platinum X Prong (Custom made b/c it was cheaper) - $700

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results