Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

emerald cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stephan

Ideal_Rock
some people say that the best L/W ratio for an emerald cut is between 1.5/1.75 or 0.95/1.05 for a squarish one. Blue Nile says it is between 1.30/1.40.
What is correct?
What are the good depth and table % ?
How can we use an ideal depth % when we know that the L/W ratio can be different?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
The L/W ratio it's up to you... Choose the one that looks better to you...

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
That's purely a matter of personal preference. I like a squat EC myself, so my ideal ratio is about 1.35. I know plenty of others who like them long and skinny.

dazednconfused

Rough_Rock
Stephan,
I think emerald cuts are one of the best cuts. I just purchased one and will recommend the person/vendor if you'd like. I originally thought that 1.5-1.75 L/W was ideal. However, after taking a look as some, I thought that was way too long. I opted for a 1.3. I think that something @ 1.3 (1.25-1.35) looks great. But of course it's your preference. As for the Table & Depth %, I stayed between 60-69 for both. Everything I've read said that a good cut was between these parameters. My stone ended up being 60.2 Depth & 68 Table. I wouldn't worry too much about color. I bought an H color 1.26 with a platinum setting (X prong) and it looks whiter than white. In a solitaire setting an H color is just fine! Clarity was a VS1. Emeralds supposedly show the flaws easier. I can't see a damn thing with the VS1 and doubt I would be able to if it was a VS2. I just wonder if you could go SI1? VS1-VS2 is safe for emeralds. The main thing I looked for was the square millimeter size (L X W) of the stone. The table is the main thing everyone will see and you want to find something that loks the biggest while still falling into the parameters of a good cut. That is why I opted for a lower Depth. This decreased the depth percentage and increased the length & width. The 1.26 that I bought actually looked considerably bigger than the 1.30 that I didn't buy. Just something for you to consider. Here is the characteristics of my diamond and the final price to give you an idea.

Emerald cut
Carat 1.26 7.49x5.69x3.46
Color H
Clarity VS1
Depth 60.2
Table 68
Polish/symmetry Good
Girdle Thin - Slightly Thick
Cost $4400
Platinum X Prong (Custom made b/c it was cheaper) - $700

Good Luck

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    Jewelry for Women in their 20s
    Jewelry for Women in their 20s
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Our Favorite Jewels from the 2021 Golden Globes
    Paris Hilton is Engaged
    Paris Hilton is Engaged

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor

Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.