shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut - VS1 or VS2

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
Here are the two stones I'm choosing between, trying to figure out if the $1300 price tag difference makes sense to upgrade to the VS1. The gemologist (Diamond Foundry) says both stones are eye clean, both have a very faint hint of yellow (hence the H color). The magnified videos below clearly show the VS2 inclusions that are reflecting, but if it's eye clean then I personally would be ok. I do have the option of purchasing and return 1 stone, so can go with the VS2 first to see. The size difference isn't a factor. I think I have made up my mind, but would love some additional input! Both stones have 3X cut.

2.80 carats H color VS1 clarity video and certificate
2.63 carats H color VS2 clarity video and certificate

What would you do??

Thank you!!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am not an expert by any means, however, I would like to comment that the 1.3k ? USD difference is not just for 1 grade in clarity, you are also getting a bigger stone by 0.17ct.

Looking at the videos alone, I prefer the look of the larger stone.

Personal preferences and all that, and I am not an expert.

DK :))

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
I am not an expert by any means, however, I would like to comment that the 1.3k ? USD difference is not just for 1 grade in clarity, you are also getting a bigger stone by 0.17ct.

Looking at the videos alone, I prefer the look of the larger stone.

Personal preferences and all that, and I am not an expert.

DK :))

You're absolutely right on that. The price per carat difference is about $317, which does help me rationalize the increase in clarity better. That's really helpful, thank you!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very personal decision, but I prefer the VS1. Good luck.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @RJLongLong. It looks you are still on your journey to select an EC. Can they provide ASET image? I've come to realize it is so hard to find a good EC. You really need the help of ASET image.

sprinklesparkles

Shiny_Rock
Those black specks on the VS2 would bother me I think. But both are pretty stones.

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
Hi @RJLongLong. It looks you are still on your journey to select an EC. Can they provide ASET image? I've come to realize it is so hard to find a good EC. You really need the help of ASET image.

What a great idea! I have 0 experience with ASET images, so I had to Google it :) I asked if they are available and I'm super interested to check them out.

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
Those black specks on the VS2 would bother me I think. But both are pretty stones.

Totally agree. The black speck(s) reflect so much in the huge video that it's really hard to know if the stone would be eye clean. The gemologist says it is, but I'd have to see it in person so know how I feel about it. It's a great price point for me, that's why I continue to look into it. What I might do is buy it, see how it looks, and have the option to return it. It's from Vrai and they offer 1 free return, next purchase is final sale.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Whew, now I'm overwhelmed... I like your idea of looking at ASET images and then just making a decision to buy a stone so I can see it in person. There's so much to learn!

I’m going to throw this out there at you since this will be your forever ring so I want to help you as much as I can.

Im my opinion, when it comes to lab emerald cut, no one comes close to @Rhino at Distinctive Gem. He create magnificent emerald cut that surpasses any I have ever seen ... but you’ll have to sacrifice in size.

His link is https://www.distinctivegem.com/coll...-lab-grown-august-vintage-emerald-cut-diamond

This one is in moissanite but you can get a sense of his heritage emerald cut.

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
I’m going to throw this out there at you since this will be your forever ring so I want to help you as much as I can.

Im my opinion, when it comes to lab emerald cut, no one comes close to @Rhino at Distinctive Gem. He create magnificent emerald cut that surpasses any I have ever seen ... but you’ll have to sacrifice in size.

His link is https://www.distinctivegem.com/coll...-lab-grown-august-vintage-emerald-cut-diamond

This one is in moissanite but you can get a sense of his heritage emerald cut.

Thank you for the referral, I hadn't heard of him before so I really appreciate it! At first glance I prefer a higher lxw ratio, but I'll reach out to him and see. Thanks again!!

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
I received the 2.63 carats H color VS2 clarity emerald cut from Vrai today! I was so excited to take great pictures to post here, and realized I'm such an amateur. I grabbed my phone and the stone, went outside in beautiful light, tried to balance the stone on the back of my hand like I've seen in so many pictures on here and snap some iphone camera photos... What a disaster. Dropped the stone multiple times, hate the way my hands look (oh my gosh, they look so old), dropped the phone, then gave up :) I'm taking it to my jeweler this weekend and maybe they can take better pictures.

This is the stone that I was a little worried about clarity wise, but the gemologist said it is eye clean. My untrained eye just can't tell, I think it's a bit cloudy which isn't what the 40x video showed, but maybe it was dirty from me handling it so much. I guess overall I'm going to be the one looking at it every day and it's not always going to be 100% clean!

I get 1 free return at Vrai so I have a decision to make!

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting! What do you think of its performance? How is the color? You can clean it with some rubbing alcohol and a lint-free cloth.

Lauralei101

Rough_Rock
I received the 2.63 carats H color VS2 clarity emerald cut from Vrai today! I was so excited to take great pictures to post here, and realized I'm such an amateur. I grabbed my phone and the stone, went outside in beautiful light, tried to balance the stone on the back of my hand like I've seen in so many pictures on here and snap some iphone camera photos... What a disaster. Dropped the stone multiple times, hate the way my hands look (oh my gosh, they look so old), dropped the phone, then gave up :) I'm taking it to my jeweler this weekend and maybe they can take better pictures.

This is the stone that I was a little worried about clarity wise, but the gemologist said it is eye clean. My untrained eye just can't tell, I think it's a bit cloudy which isn't what the 40x video showed, but maybe it was dirty from me handling it so much. I guess overall I'm going to be the one looking at it every day and it's not always going to be 100% clean!

I get 1 free return at Vrai so I have a decision to make!

I’m sooooo interested to hear what your jeweler says! I still have never taken mine to a jeweler !

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Late to the party as usual, but I prefer the larger and VS1. I'm not a frequent purchaser of diamonds, so I want the biggest and best I can get at any given 5 year splurge (milestone anniversaries). That being said, I would pay the extra $1300 for a mind cleanliness, and size maximization since DSS hits really fast.

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
Late to the party as usual, but I prefer the larger and VS1. I'm not a frequent purchaser of diamonds, so I want the biggest and best I can get at any given 5 year splurge (milestone anniversaries). That being said, I would pay the extra $1300 for a mind cleanliness, and size maximization since DSS hits really fast.

Oh gosh, I don't disagree with you. Right after I purchased the smaller stone the larger one sold. I did kick myself, I could have purchased both and returned one. I have FOMO!!!! I keep telling myself that I'm not in a rush, if I don't like this stone I'll wait for another one because baby diamonds pop up all the time.... right.... tell me I'm right.... ;-)

jaysonsmom

Ideal_Rock
Oh no!!! So sorry the larger stone sold. But as you said, you have time, and even with MMDs in a high carat weight are still not cheap, and does not have the same resale value, so take your time and get it right!

RJLongLong

Rough_Rock
Hello all! My ring is finished, and I love it. This is the first piece of jewelry I've had made, and it's addicting.

The lab diamond center stone is from Vrai.com (Diamond Foundry) 2.63 carats H, VS2. The original video from Vrai was super magnified and showed an inclusion that reflected in the steps, but when I received and inspected it I thought it was eye clean.

The setting is based on one I found online at Blue Nile that the jeweler recreated, white gold. The dot-dash diamonds are mined.

Overall I am VERY happy with what I found at Vrai.com, the price couldn't be beat for this lab stone!

Ra2nl

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful ring!

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks great! I’m glad you took the risk and that it worked out well.

BrownGinger

Shiny_Rock
Congratulations! It looks beautiful!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks beautiful! Congratulations!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it looks very pretty! We need more pictures...some inside in not-so-bright light!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results