shape
carat
color
clarity

Which Emerald is better cut? ASET images

scarbierianrider

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone,

I've been researching and looking at emerald cuts for quite some time now. I think I've found 3 that I like and I hope to be well cut. What does pricescope think of these ASET images?

https://imgur.com/a/k1GVh

Thanks for your help!!

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi everyone,

I've been researching and looking at emerald cuts for quite some time now. I think I've found 3 that I like and I hope to be well cut. What does pricescope think of these ASET images?

https://imgur.com/a/k1GVh

Thanks for your help!!

This chart may help you....
IMG_7890.PNG
All 3 fit between the VG & EX zone...
Do you have specs on the three EC's?

scarbierianrider

Rough_Rock
Yes I've consulted that image but was unsure how to distinguish them from each other. I like that #1 has color throughout the entire diamond with few white spots, even though the color is less intense compared to the other images. I like that #2 is similar to #1 in the fact that it has color everywhere plus the color seems to be more intense. I'd guess that #2 is the best cut due to the intensity of color and prevalence of red. My concerns however are the white corners.

What do you think of my assessment?
Thanks for your response :)

here are the specs:
#1 https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.80-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-3307721
#2 https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.81-carat-e-color-vs2-clarity-sku-1907839
#3 https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/0.81-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-3333459

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I've consulted that image but was unsure how to distinguish them from each other. I like that #1 has color throughout the entire diamond with few light spots, even though the color is less intense compared to the other images. I like that #2 is similar to #1 in the fact that it has color everywhere plus the color seems to be more intense. I'd guess that #2 is the best cut due to the intensity of color and prevalence of red. My concerns however are the white corners.

What do you think of my assessment?
Thanks for your response :)

How are you setting the diamond? Prongs will likely cover the corners, so I wouldn't sweat the corners so much as I'd care about how light spreads/moves from the center of the stone, outward. Step Cuts are a tough Cut. Have you seen any of them in person, or in a video to see how light moves along the steps, and against the center, pavillion facets? Have you seen intense flashes along the columns, and sparkly, pinpoint scintillation from the smaller facets at both the top & bottom of the stones?
What are the Color & Clarity grades?

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you provide the table% & depth %? Position of P3 is essential to the performance of an EC. All 3 seem to have EX cut, based upon ASETS only...but movement is essential to examine performance, and how Cut affects performance.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

All of them are stunning! You'll want to match the color of the EC to the pave in the two rings, above, to avoid strong contrast. If you feel a strong contrast is a probability, the knife edge is a perfect match. Will you set the EC N-S or E-W?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Number 2 is the clear winner for me! The flashes go all the way down into the center. The steps are fairly uniform and of are a nice size. Looks like a lovely
stone.

Number 1...there are some steps about 1/3 the way in that are not lighting up. The ASET shows a black triangle where its not lighting up. I had high
hopes for this one but its just not as good as number 2.

Number 3...not a good video but it does show that the center is not lighting up at all. ASET shows this too.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
#2 is my choice based on ASET & video, as well. Here is why:
#1 is not as active, while moving/tilted. I am not catching the triangle that @tyty333 is seeing, but it lacks luster. #1 also has inclusions near the surface of the table, and this is a no go for me.
#3 has more life, but it has a darker, carbon-like inclusion against the table that would drive me insane.
#2 is lively, completely clean across the table, from top to bottom, and directly under the table. None of the inclusions are visible face on, and the life of the stone allows light to move exactly as it should along the steps. It is a bit on the fuller side....1.35:1 l x w ratio, but still remains within rectangular EC range. Color is perfect; no worries with color contrast with the pave'.
I'm on team EC0.81EVS2 (AKA #2). Absolutely gorgeous EC!!! :mrgreen2:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Matthews1127 Thanks for the advice, I didn't even consider that! It says the average color is F-G so should be good.
@tyty333 thanks for your opinion! I had high hopes for #1 and #3 as well but looks like #2 is the one.

You did your homework, @scarbierianrider!! Finding an excellent EC is a very difficult task!! #2 meets all of the criterion: high color, eye clean clarity, beautiful movement of light from the center, outward (light moves down from the top, and leads down to the center-no steps are barren of light, and light up perfectly, on que)! The ASET demonstrates EX symmetry which is key to light performance. P3 seems to be located perfectly to give it all the life it needs to stand out above the rest. You have a great size...just under 1ct, which makes it easy on the wallet, and allows you the opportunity to upgrade on the color & clarity!!
Your l x w ratio still puts it in rectangular EC range, and she will look amazing in any of the settings you have chosen.
Now, which setting, and how will you set it?
I'm dying to find out!!!
Spectacular job!!! :mrgreen2: :clap:

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

scarbierianrider

Rough_Rock
You did your homework, @scarbierianrider!! Finding an excellent EC is a very difficult task!! #2 meets all of the criterion: high color, eye clean clarity, beautiful movement of light from the center, outward (light moves down from the top, and leads down to the center-no steps are barren of light, and light up perfectly, on que)! The ASET demonstrates EX symmetry which is key to light performance. P3 seems to be located perfectly to give it all the life it needs to stand out above the rest. You have a great size...just under 1ct, which makes it easy on the wallet, and allows you the opportunity to upgrade on the color & clarity!!
Your l x w ratio still puts it in rectangular EC range, and she will look amazing in any of the settings you have chosen.
Now, which setting, and how will you set it?
I'm dying to find out!!!
Spectacular job!!! :mrgreen2: :clap:

Haha thanks! Lots of reading, hours of searching and the kind help from people on the internet have made it all possible.

I've put in the order and chose to go with setting #1 the Petite Pave. I was originally going to go with the knife edge solitaire but just the other day I saw a petite pave on someone and absolutely loved it. I may even choose to change the setting to #3 with the crown but its an extra $1200 :eek2:. Who knows I may even go back to knife edge but at least I've fully decided on the stone. Oh and it'll be set NS.

I was actually quite surprised to learn that EC is the least sought after cut.

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha thanks! Lots of reading, hours of searching and the kind help from people on the internet have made it all possible.

I've put in the order and chose to go with setting #1 the Petite Pave. I was originally going to go with the knife edge solitaire but just the other day I saw a petite pave on someone and absolutely loved it. I may even choose to change the setting to #3 with the crown but its an extra $1200 :eek2:. Who knows I may even go back to knife edge but at least I've fully decided on the stone. Oh and it'll be set NS.

I was actually quite surprised to learn that EC is the least sought after cut.

Excellent choice. Sadly, it's true; step cut stones are the least popular, and I believe it's because they are extremely misunderstood, and great ones are not easy to find.
I love step-Cuts nearly as much as I love my DH...lol! I have a beautiful "unicorn" EC that I treasure with all my heart.
This is the link to the thread I posted about my EC (and her bff wedding band). She made jewel of the week in August, and I cried...lol!!
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/meet-uisce.231677/
Feel free to browse. I am thrilled you have chosen open gallery settings and 4 prongs for your EC; less is more pertaining to step cut diamonds. The more light, the more fire.
I wish you well in completing this leg of your journey. Please return with the finished product & share it with us!!!
It's going to be gorgeous!!! :love:

scarbierianrider

Rough_Rock
Yes I definitely will post an update. Thank you again for your insight.

Beautiful pictures of your ring. I especially like the one where your DH is looking at you like "don't you have enough pictures already!?"

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes I definitely will post an update. Thank you again for your insight.

Beautiful pictures of your ring. I especially like the one where your DH is looking at you like "don't you have enough pictures already!?"

Ah!! Yes, the tell tale signs of, "C'mon, already!!!" LOL!! He's a keeper! ;)2
Thank you for indulging me. I am excited to see your finished ring!!! =)2
I thoroughly enjoyed sharing what I know about EC's, and salivating over your post!! Step Cuts really make my heart skip a beat!! :mrgreen2:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post pics when you get it...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results