shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for setting

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Messages
282
Happy holidays, friends! I just reserved this lovely antique emerald with JBG and am working on a surprise project for my mother:
https://jewelsbygrace.smugmug.com/Loose-Diamonds/201-and-larger/261ct-Emerald-Cut-Diamond-GIA/

My mother is in her 60s and the most generous person I know. She has always been fully supportive of me -- both emotionally and financially (paid for my college and law school) -- and is the most loving grandmother to my two sons. She has never had a diamond ring, and she would never buy something like this for herself. I want to make something beautiful to surprise her. She has very classic tastes in style -- think Jackie O. and Grace Kelly. I had initially thought of a ring similar to mayk's lovely VC, with the tapered baguettes. However, in discussing with Grace, she said that would be an issue with my mother having tiny fingers (3.5 or 4 at most). She suggested either a solitaire or trapezoids set in a trellis. I am definitely thinking white gold or platinum. No halo or pave; I don't think she'd like that.

Any feedback or suggestions or thoughts? I am open to ideas, and if you can share pictures, please do!

Thanks in advance to all!
 

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 30, 2015
Messages
409
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

I am so thrilled that you were able to snag this beauty! I think a solitaire would be absolutely perfect on tiny fingers. What a wonderful daughter you are!
 

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Messages
282
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

therainbowradish|1450807443|3964866 said:
I am so thrilled that you were able to snag this beauty! I think a solitaire would be absolutely perfect on tiny fingers. What a wonderful daughter you are!

Thank you! I'm sorry I couldn't grab your marquise, but I really hope another PSer does (if selfishly because I want to see how you set that OEC that you have your eyes on!).
 

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 30, 2015
Messages
409
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

Don't you worry, I'll post pics if I am able to buy it!
 

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
10,889
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

side traps. though I'm not sold on the trellis idea. I'd go with a more traditional setting in keeping with your mother's Jackie O. sensibilities.

Is a Leon Mege setting a possibility? Someone referred to him as a master of proportions, and I agree with that assessment.
 

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 12, 2011
Messages
4,682
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

How sweet..... Awwwwwwwww :love:

I love that EC I can't wait to see how you set it!
 
Q

Queenie60

Guest
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

You're a wonderful daughter! Can't wait to see how you set the stone. :love:
 

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
2,822
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

Since it is an L color and your mom has very small hands, I would just set it in a solitaire. Traps may be hard to match the color and may pick up on the L color. I think baguettes would look too much like an engagement ring. That stone is pretty and can't wait to see handpics.
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,225
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

I think that stone is so lovely. And what a wonderful things you are doing for her.

If you have the budget for it, I'd go for a Singlestone setting for that beauty.

With the faceting and the color, something like this would be a really nice pairing with it: https://www.singlestone.com/collections/monica_p199/ The unplated white gold will compliment it and the design suits your mom's classic tastes but is so unique no one will have anything like it. And personally, I think proportionally it would fabulous with a larger center stone.
 

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Feb 27, 2007
Messages
25,339
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

It is a beautiful diamond. Your mother will love it. Have you looked through the EC and Asscher thread? There are tons of different settings in there.
 

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Messages
282
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

Gypsy|1450840735|3965123 said:
I think that stone is so lovely. And what a wonderful things you are doing for her.

If you have the budget for it, I'd go for a Singlestone setting for that beauty.

With the faceting and the color, something like this would be a really nice pairing with it: https://www.singlestone.com/collections/monica_p199/ The unplated white gold will compliment it and the design suits your mom's classic tastes but is so unique no one will have anything like it. And personally, I think proportionally it would fabulous with a larger center stone.

Gypsy, I love this idea! That's a beautiful setting!
 

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Messages
282
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

VRBeauty|1450817583|3964986 said:
side traps. though I'm not sold on the trellis idea. I'd go with a more traditional setting in keeping with your mother's Jackie O. sensibilities.

Is a Leon Mege setting a possibility? Someone referred to him as a master of proportions, and I agree with that assessment.

Thanks for the suggestion! I'll look into Leon as well!
 

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Messages
282
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

marcy|1450843362|3965144 said:
It is a beautiful diamond. Your mother will love it. Have you looked through the EC and Asscher thread? There are tons of different settings in there.

Yes, I've been ogling that thread like nobody's business. So many beautiful choices! :love:
 

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Messages
282
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

lambskin|1450835987|3965091 said:
Since it is an L color and your mom has very small hands, I would just set it in a solitaire. Traps may be hard to match the color and may pick up on the L color. I think baguettes would look too much like an engagement ring. That stone is pretty and can't wait to see handpics.

Thanks do the feedback! I had the same concern about the traps and am leaning against them for that reason.
 

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 12, 2013
Messages
324
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

+1 on a simple solitaire. I've got small fingers too and that stone can stand on its own! If you like the SS setting gypsy posted, you might also like this http://www.trumpetandhorn.com/celine.html.. Not sure if they set outside stones, but you could ask. Congrats on such a generous gift for your mom!
 

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Messages
282
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

Travelgal|1450906238|3965438 said:
+1 on a simple solitaire. I've got small fingers too and that stone can stand on its own! If you like the SS setting gypsy posted, you might also like this http://www.trumpetandhorn.com/celine.html... Not sure if they set outside stones, but you could ask. Congrats on such a generous gift for your mom!

Love this suggestion too!

Also am liking pics of this Kwiat setting (though the halo would be too much). Really like the Art Deco style graduated side stone arrangements.

https://kwiat.com/product/engagement-rings/g446/
 

therainbowradish

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Jan 30, 2015
Messages
409
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

Ha well I just meant the setting but yah that 5ct is soooo nice
 

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
12,146
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

Beautiful stone and you are a lovely daughter. I can't wait to see your completed project. :)
 

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jun 8, 2008
Messages
50,075
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

Beautiful EC and I agree about considering a solitaire setting due to the color and also your mom having petite hands. An elegant solitaire would be beautiful. You are a wonderful daughter! Good luck with the project and please come back with hand shots! :appl:
 

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Messages
282
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

I exchanged emails with Mark T. of ERD/BE over the holidays. He is so nice and *so* responsive, which is really important to me. He gave me a great quote on a setting similar to the Single Stone one that Gypsy suggested. He said his daughter has a really similar ring and wears a size 4.5, so he has some great ideas for the design. I think I'm going to go with him, since I've really liked my interactions with him so far. Any suggestions from those of y'all in the know about working with Mark T./reviewing CADs? This is my first time doing something like this, so I'm a little nervous!
 

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Aug 8, 2005
Messages
40,225
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

Ohhh. Good choice on vendor. That's who I'd use too. Is he going to do unplated white gold for you?

As for suggestions. Just make sure the CADs are 100% correct and that the ring matches them.
 

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Messages
282
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

Gypsy|1451279473|3967161 said:
Ohhh. Good choice on vendor. That's who I'd use too. Is he going to do unplated white gold for you?

As for suggestions. Just make sure the CADs are 100% correct and that the ring matches them.

Yes, the plan is unplated white gold. Very excited! Once I start working with him and have the CADs, I'll post them here and get feedback.
 

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 4, 2014
Messages
1,338
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

You are a beautiful daughter....how incredibly generous and I am absolutely in awe of how lovely this turned out but reading your story is overwhelming!
 

Sphene

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 4, 2015
Messages
666
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

Lovely your a blessing to your mother cannot wait to see the outcome
 

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Messages
282
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

artdecolover71|1455968656|3993230 said:
You are a beautiful daughter....how incredibly generous and I am absolutely in awe of how lovely this turned out but reading your story is overwhelming!

Thank you, artdecolover! I am just over the moon with how happy she is. We're not very emotive by nature (at least, not about mushy feelings like love and whatnot :lol:), so I didn't know how else to express to her how appreciative and thankful I am for everything she's done for me in my entire life.

Also, it certainly doesn't hurt that she and I can wear the same size rings . . . :naughty:
 

HegemonyCricket

Shiny_Rock
Joined
Dec 20, 2014
Messages
282
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

Sphene|1455975724|3993243 said:
Lovely your a blessing to your mother cannot wait to see the outcome

Thank you, Sphene. My mother has always been a blessing to me. :)
 

Moiclaire

Rough_Rock
Joined
Jan 22, 2016
Messages
51
Re: Emerald cut surprise for my mother -- need ideas for set

Your mother should be so proud to have raise such a loving daughter ! Kuddos to her and you :love:
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
    Jewels Of The Week: June 2022
    Jewels Of The Week: June 2022 - 06/24
    Natural Diamond Prices - June 2022
    Natural Diamond Prices - June 2022 - 06/21
    LGBTQ+ Jewelers You Need To Know About
    LGBTQ+ Jewelers You Need To Know About - 06/19
Top