shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut/step cut green stone suggestions...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

speakinglurker

Rough_Rock
I''m looking for an emerald cut/step cut green stone (possibly tourmaline or tsavorite?) around 2-4 cts that would be relatively inexpensive (around $300 or less but that price is flexible). I''m looking for a deeper color (not peridot). Any specific stones or vendors? I''ve checked cherrypicked.com - nothing even close to that price range.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you looked at green agate it is a cheaper green stone, not sure about the dispersion factors though.

speakinglurker

Rough_Rock
Cool, thanks! those are definitely on the right track...of course I like the sold one best!!!

anyone else have any other suggestions and/or comments on what makes a good/bad tourmaline?

speakinglurker

Rough_Rock
Can anyone explain why tourmalines are often an elongated rectangle shape?

riogems

Shiny_Rock
You may want to look at chrome diopside. You can find some stones in the 9x7 or 10x8mm emerald cut in your price range.

Also, tourmalines are usually cut in those long shapes because the rough allows for that (and the local firms try to maximize the yield but cutting elongated stones).

speakinglurker

Rough_Rock
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that chrome diopside was too soft for a ring. Is it ok? I''ll definitely look into it as well. Thanks!

Cool, thanks for the info on the shape. I''ve seen a few tourmalines where I like the color but not the long shape. I think I''d prefer more of a square or squarish rectangle if that makes any sense.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Is this for an e-ring? Something that will be worn every day?

I doubt you are going to find a good tzavorite even CLOSE to what you are looking for in that price range. Please keep in mind (if you do not already know.. a 2-3 carat gemstone is not equivalant in size to a 2-3 carat diamond.

bjpayne

Rough_Rock
One of the best examples of Chrome Diopside that I ever had was a great 2 ct. emerald cut, so for sure check out that option. Depending on the exposure of the ring, I have had numerous customers use it in rings without incident.

Tourmalines are common in rectangular shapes because they most often form as elongated crystals. Not only does this make for the best cut to get a decent size stone, but the color is usually best across the long side of the crystal - which would be the table on the finished stone.

Brad

speakinglurker

Rough_Rock
Not for everyday wear (just a rhr) but I''d like it be fairly sturdy because I would like to wear it often.

It seems to me that tsavorites are a bit pricier than tourmalines (is that accurate?) so I had kind of turned to tourmalines (and now chrome diopside based on the postings so far). I do know that 2-3 carat gemstone will not be the same size as a 2-3 carat diamond but I''m not sure that I have a sense of exactly the size difference. It would probably make more sense to focus on mm measurements then, right?

Basically I''m trying to get a decently substantial sized green stone to wear as a rhr but I don''t want to drop thousands of dollars to get one.

I''m seeing tourmalines and chrome diopside in approximately my price range but I have NO idea whether they''re crappy or nice! Maybe it makes the most sense for me to find a few that I think look really nice and post them for comments.

Thanks to everyone so far for all your help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results