shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut, or Some people are never satisfied....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2005 8:08:02 AM
Author: madrock

I''d really like to see what a smaller basket looks like from underneath.

Didn''t have to look far:

r200-03W.jpg

r302-44W.jpg

Those support bard on the sides of the diamond could be layed with... made narrower or replaced by two thinner ones... or engrade or anything. Some rings have them shaped like vines and flowers and there surely is room on a large ring for that sort of thing. The only restriction aside safety (and those are ''iron clad''!) might be to keep the design light and symmtrical enough so that detracting reflactions do not show up through the face of the stone. Of course your jeweler would know these things a thousand times better - I just dropped the line because the particular detail may not be in line with your mention of a ''small basket''.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Speaking of small basket settings... well, this looks airy allright. The diamond is four carats (see it here).

The setting is made by Harry Kotlar.

This model would need serious modification (IMO) to fit a larger rectangular stone, and it may be that the arching prongs will need to get clasically straight, etc. However, the idea to have the bezels paved can surely stay. This ring at Art of Platinum has them engraved for a change.

SmallBasket.JPG

madrock

Rough_Rock
I meant I''d like to see what a smaller PAVE basket looks like from underneath. All the pave is one of the things I love about my oval. Thanks for that photo, because now I see about the prongs looking okay coming from a lower basket.

I have not seen this stone yet, it should be here this week, but Yom Kippur is this week and that slows things down for most jewelers. It is E/VVS1 and an ideal cut, according to my jeweler, who is all about cut and light return. I will be comparing it to the 7+ H/VS1 that I absolutely love the cut on, so we''ll see how it looks.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Actually Val I think that beauty is a 5 carater!!
30.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
Madrock, Do you have any pictures from the oval, or potential oval setting? I''m getting a 3c oval and would love to see a picture of the one you had.

madrock

Rough_Rock
It''s posted on the "Largest Stones on PS" thread -- I would repost them but I can''t even locate them myself. Sorry. Maybe someone with more technical expertise can give you the link?

widget

Ideal_Rock
Here''re pics of Madrock''s incredible oval.

Madrock: Who mounted it for you? Couldn''t you have them mount your new EC for you?

widget

mdrock.jpg

madrock

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/10/2005 9:56:59 PM
Author: widget
Here''re pics of Madrock''s incredible oval.

Madrock: Who mounted it for you? Couldn''t you have them mount your new EC for you?

widget

Yes, I will definitely use the same designer...but I need to tell him what I want (as soon as I figure it out, lol).

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
so --have you found a stone? i would go with Mark Morell..............Leon is not doing so hot these days...............

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi!
I''m a firm believer in keeping things simple, especially with a helathy emerald cut. Definitely no pave'', and no side stones unless the color, cut and quality exactly match the center stone.

appletini

Ideal_Rock
I can''t wait to see the finished product on this one. Oh my I think I''m about to faint just thinking about it!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madrock, I recently upgrade to a 9.22 center stone e/cut from Tiffany''s. It has simple tapered baquettes, which is what they recommended. I think you lose something when you try to fuss up an elegant clean stone like an emerald cut with a lot of hoopla. Obviously my opinion, but I live in the Main Line of Philadelphia and I see a lot of big stones, and the prettiest ones, linear like asschers and emerald cuts in the 5 and up range, are better when set simply. I do like the one with the pave and splut shank, when I was shopping, my cousin who is a jeweler in LA had a ten carat like that but by the time she emailed me the photos her source had sold it!!! (oh well) Are they taking back the oval in trade for you? I know diamond prices have gone through the roof...good luck!

madrock

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 6:15:33 PM
Author: diamondfan
Madrock, I recently upgrade to a 9.22 center stone e/cut from Tiffany''s. It has simple tapered baquettes, which is what they recommended. I think you lose something when you try to fuss up an elegant clean stone like an emerald cut with a lot of hoopla. Obviously my opinion, but I live in the Main Line of Philadelphia and I see a lot of big stones, and the prettiest ones, linear like asschers and emerald cuts in the 5 and up range, are better when set simply. I do like the one with the pave and splut shank, when I was shopping, my cousin who is a jeweler in LA had a ten carat like that but by the time she emailed me the photos her source had sold it!!! (oh well) Are they taking back the oval in trade for you? I know diamond prices have gone through the roof...good luck!

How about a picture of this rock?

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Diamondfan, you and Tiffany's have great taste...that's the setting I suggest
9.gif

I too would love to see a picture. Swooon.
30.gif

That is a look that is SO STRIKING and eye catching in its line and classic elegance. IMO, there is nothing you can add to make it more perfect, and that more would only detract. My 2 cents. MOVE OVER MELANIA....HERE COME DIAMONDFAN AND MADROCK!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
6.gif
all I have to say is that I cannot wait to see the finished product!

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
diamondfan,

Post pics!

Don''t post about it and leave us hanging!!

Pics, please, pretty please.

(I have friends that live on the Main Line.)

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ann, I have been off PS for a while...it was obsessing me and I got busy with stuff. I do not have a digital camera (my kids broke the last two) but plan to get one soon. Where in the Main Line? I have not lived here for my whole life, but I really like it!

berkley

Rough_Rock
I usually am off in the distance in the LIW section of pricescope but pop in from time to time to drool over many of the pieces in here.

Madrock, I have ADORED that oval of yours! That mounting is spectacular!!!!!! I have been in the mood for my birthstone (aquamarine) set in a lucious halo. . . . .that ring of yours has my gears turning!!! How can I get in touch with you about your mount???

BTW: it seems you have great taste in jewelry (hence the gorgeous oval ring!) I''m sure whatever mount you choose for your emerald will be to-die-for!! I can''t wait to see what you decide!!

:)

madrock

Rough_Rock
Hmmm...I don''t know how we can communicate directly...experts, any ideas?

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
Quite by accident, I had someone on a Pet Related forum contact me and asked if I was the same so & so with the Pinscher on Pricescope. I think I mentioned my Pinscher once when DancingFire had the Koi pond vs Dog dilemma. Kinda funny but it was a reminder that I won't post pics of my dog/myself cause the last thing I need is someone coming up to me while walking my Pinscher in Manhattan saying "are you the so & so on Pricescope.... ummmmmmm, ummmmm no."

Back on topic... Ya know I can not wait to see what the latest "Madrock" creation is going to look like. I'm sure it will look fantastic.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Madrock! Nice to hear from you!

You''ll be forgiven for not posting what you finally did with your new EC IF you post some pictures now!!
2.gif

(Sadly, since there are no more PMs, I don''t know how you and Barkley can get in touch with each other privately. I suppose you could both contact the administrator and ask for ''matchmaking'' services. All they can do is say ''no''....and get mad at me for suggesting such a thing...
32.gif
)

Anyway...Madrock...PLEASE update us on your EC!!!!!

widget

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i have a large citrine like the ones posted. made by Nagle Forge.

Do yourself a favor - the blankety blank thing spins like mad. make it spin proof by having a thick shank or a stirrup shaped one.

madrock

Rough_Rock
The EC is posted in the "Show Me the Ring" forum...the pictures are not so clear but I have no technical ability to improve them.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Madrock....shame on me for accusing you of leaving us hanging!!!
15.gif

I just looked up the old thread...I don''t know how I could have missed it....the EC is absolutely stunning!
30.gif

If you can''t sell the oval mounting (it''s so gorgeous) have you considered setting a colored stone in it? Aqua would be fabulous...or what''s your birthstone? Another thought...I wonder if it could be reworked into a pendant or brooch. It does seem a shame to leave it gathering dust in a jewelry box!

Always thinking...
widget

madrock

Rough_Rock
My jeweler (of course) tried to get me to set a colored stone in the oval setting, but I know I would never wear it. I didn''t wear ANY rings for more than 10 years (until I got the upgrade) and I think two massive rocks is excessive, even for me!

The only option other than sellng it as is (it can''t be sized as it is eternity) is to pull out the diamonds and melt down the platinum -- which would really be a shame since it is so beautiful, not to mention a waste of lots of money. There is no way to remake it into a pendant or an eternity band without starting over. Another row of pave around the center stone could be added to accommodate a smaller diamond -- I''d like to see someone use pink gold and a pink diamond!
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results