shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald Cut, or Some people are never satisfied....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

madrock

Rough_Rock
I need some expert help...please post your ideas on how you would set a 8+ carat Emerald Cut...all I know is that I want those double claw prongs...

pave band?
pave basket?
traps on the sides?

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''ll say this much: no traps. Leave that baby in her full glory. Call Leon Mege immediately & look through his book. Make something that''s never been done before and wear it unmercifully.

Also: pix please?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maaaaaaaad rock!
9.gif

That''s a pretty cool question... but something is telling me you would not want to know how I would want it
2.gif

I would go for a setting that follows the clean angles of the stone, something involving more step cut accents (traps, square and rectangular baguettes and such). Actually, the combination of different step cut shapes is not all that common and very beautiful, IMO.

Here''s one with traps and step cut bullets:

Ring_5.07ct_5447.jpg

just for the sake of showing the shapes themselves.

There allot of room for surprising things there! I am trying to find some better pictures of this:

pg3_14.jpg
a 8-something carat described HERE and very much the opposite camp compared to the one above, IMO. I don''t have any idea towards which style you are inclined. A hint might help dig out interesting ideas
5.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Madrock - what are you up to???????
31.gif
Do you still have your enormous oval? DETAILS!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Leon Mege, all the way. I would leave the diamond alone, no sidestones.

madrock

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 10:02:05 AM
Author: Lorelei
Madrock - what are you up to???????
31.gif
Do you still have your enormous oval? DETAILS!!!!!!!!!!
9.gif

My husband, who did not even see the oval before I brought it home, commented that it looked "a little yellow." And to be honest, in certain light, it does. So, in my usual fashion, I became obsessed wth the color. Within weeks of getting the final ring, I had my jeweler looking for a new stone. And since I told him D-E-F, I knew I could do an emerald cut -- I think they show a lot more color and inclusions than any other cut, especially in the large sizes. I''ve looked at lots of stones, and am hoping that I''ve found the one...I prefer the icy look and bigger corners. No details just yet, but you guys will be the first to know.

As I said, I know I want the double claw prongs, and probably a thin pave band. Other than that, I am open to suggestions...also, if anyone is interested in my old oval setting to set a colored gemstone in, I''m open to offers.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s the old " mind clean" phenomenon striking again! I suppose in such a big stone and it is a J if I remember rightly may show some colour. I love EC''s and I am sure you are making the right decision. I agree with the others, let that stone be the star of the show, however I have seen some large ones with small baguette side stones which looked fab and didn''t detract from the main diamond at all. Definitely love the double claw prongs in an EC. Good luck with your new project and look forward to seeing the end result
9.gif
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Madrock, It sounds incredible!!! I love doubble claws too. I would contact Leon and keep it clean and simple. The stone should be ths star of the design. At that size I''d let it stand alone, but that''s just me. Good luck and I can''t wait to see it. Yay!!!!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2005 10:13:46 AM
Author: madrock

As I said, I know I want the double claw prongs, and probably a thin pave band. Other than that, I am open to suggestions...

'Double claws and thin pave band' cover most of the description actually (see trial below). Especially if the shape of the stone needs to stand out (those deep cut corners), there isn't much left for the setting to do around the stone face up. Perhaps some detail could be added on the underside more for your enjoyment than for somone else to pick up from across the street.

I would ask the jeweler for some options about that on a classic Cartier style basket. The 'bars' holding the prongs together can always be replaced by more intricate stuff and some Art of Platinum rings have wonderful work on the undercarriage showing dazzling potential.

Speaking of dramatic emerald cuts... there is a fantastic (IMO) example on that website already. Actually, all stones with the corners cut deeper than usual hold a special appeal to me. This is over the top in so many other ways though! And I just had to take a break and put DiamCalc to yet more unintended use

2.gif

DConHand.JPG

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Maybe split shank with pave up the sides to the prongs. I think I actually saw one similar to this on the LM website. No side stones. Very thin band. That''s my .02.
9.gif

Shay

Scintillating

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 10:40:49 AM
Author: kaleigh
Madrock, It sounds incredible!!! I love doubble claws too. I would contact Leon and keep it clean and simple. The stone should be ths star of the design. At that size I''d let it stand alone, but that''s just me. Good luck and I can''t wait to see it. Yay!!!!

I agree with Kaleigh.
With 8 Carats it doesn''t need side stones!
Let that baby be the star!
I can''t wait to see pictures of this rock!

Scintillating...

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
not sure where I found this one, but I think it is 10cts!

empavemark.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Leon Mege all the way baby!! Especially for something as stunning as an 8c EC!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is one of my favorite LM creations. I LOVE how the split shank curves under the diamond with pave. From the top down the bottom pave is probably not seen so it would look a bit more simple, but from the side, BLOWIE! It's like a surprise.
31.gif

LM modern 1.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Put four legs on it and call it your new dining room table!

Simple thin basket head completely under the stone, but set elegantly high enough to glory under the stone...the four claw prongs would be all the metal that your see from top view and a narrow sleek 2.2 mm shank. If I paved I would want itty bitty melee. But I would lean towards no pave on this puppy. It is 8 wonderful carats. That is all the eyes will see. All your eye will want to see.

Slurp, drool.

Now what time is dinner?

Door Knob

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2005 3:35:43 PM
Author: door knob solitaire

It is 8 wonderful carats. That is all the eyes will see. All your eye will want to see.
Something like that... there isn''t much room anyway, unless something goes on top of the finger near the stone (like the halo on the oval ring). If the shank is paved it would probably just help show the ''precious'' status of the entire piece while a simple frame is a great, but overused thing. Modern pave can be so amazingly small! (see those ''diamond thread'' designs in the Royal Asscher line of jewelry and Vera Wang).

Actaully, this is the sort of ring band I had in mind while making the previous picture:

hand%20water%20back.jpg

Those diamonds must be well less than 1 point - pretty amazing stuff!
9.gif
(https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-new-leon-halo-ring.31758/)

DiamondThread.JPG

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Madrock- what was the color and size of your last? I dunno, I don't think it's a "mind clean" thing...large stones in "near colorless" colors are bound to show some color to some people... (I think once you go D E F you'll never go back!
11.gif
(just my own opinion so I don't start a color war
9.gif
LOL )....)

I would totally do two teeny tiny thin and long baguettes....that's my fav look...

But to be honest, no matter what you end up with, it will be stunning and lustworthy!!!
30.gif
Much congrats to you!

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Sure does look amazing solo !

I have to say that you could set a stone like that in rose gold with alternating brown and pee yellow diamonds and I'd still totally wear it LOL
36.gif

leonsolo.jpg

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
I would say look at Mark Morrell. I think a solitaire would be the most stunning and lovely. I do not like ECs and pave...truely I think simple clean solitaire setting would be fabulous. Mark Morrell

LadyluvsLuxury

Brilliant_Rock
I LOVED the example Mara posted!
30.gif

widget

Ideal_Rock
I agree completely with Matadora...I don''t like big classic ECs cluttered up with pave.

I''d go straight to Mark Morrell and have him create something fabulous, but simple.

I also like stepcut side stones with ECs. Besides traps and baguettes, straight or tapered bullets might be neat possibilities..

Here''s a picture of a tapered bullet, thanks to DBL:

widget

tpered bul.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
At 8 carats, I''d leave it be in a simple setting. No sides, no pave. Just the stone in an elegant setting. But that''s just me.....
2.gif

madrock

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/9/2005 6:00:48 PM
Author: moremoremore
Madrock- what was the color and size of your last? I dunno, I don''t think it''s a ''mind clean'' thing...large stones in ''near colorless'' colors are bound to show some color to some people... (I think once you go D E F you''ll never go back!
11.gif
(just my own opinion so I don''t start a color war
9.gif
LOL )....)

I would totally do two teeny tiny thin and long baguettes....that''s my fav look...

But to be honest, no matter what you end up with, it will be stunning and lustworthy!!!
30.gif
Much congrats to you!

My current ring is 10.28 ct, J/VS1. I think I was blinded by the size of the stone and didn''t focus on the color. I have turned down a 7+ ct H Emerald Cut -- it just didn''t look blindingly white to me, which is what I''m looking for now. What do y''all think of this setting?

leon8ctec.jpg

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I LOVE that setting madrock...

I like a good solitaire from time to time, but I think a pave band for something this large is a must because the rest of the ''ring'' will get lost under such a large stone!! So unless the wedding band has some flash, I''d stick with pave for the arms or the sides, even if it''s a very thin band. And I love the pave heads that LM specializes in. My two cents.
2.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
16c''s
emwink.gif

jameselliot-online_1866_8573064.gif

marvel

Brilliant_Rock
5c''s
emotion-15.gif

jameselliot-online_1866_8457355.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/9/2005 8:47:58 PM

What do y''all think of this setting?
That''s great, of course
2.gif
The basket is very stable and confortable on the finger - it would be the perfectly practical, classic choice... IMO.

Do you want the frame of pave to show around the emerald cut? It would if it is set so high near the table and the tips of the prongs. Set lower it would only show from the sides.

madrock

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/10/2005 6:05:08 AM
Author: valeria101

Do you want the frame of pave to show around the emerald cut? It would if it is set so high near the table and the tips of the prongs. Set lower it would only show from the sides.

Good point, because no, I DON''T want the pave to show around the center stone -- but I need a picture to show my designer, and to get the idea clear in my own mind. I''d really like to see what a smaller basket looks like from underneath.

What size do you think those stones are in the pave? Do you think the prongs will look too long? And most importantly, is that setting secure enough to hold a big stone?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/10/2005 8:08:02 AM

Good point, because no, I DON''T want the pave to show around the center stone -- but I need a picture to show my designer, and to get the idea clear in my own mind.

A traditional basket well done should not show at all from the top (sometimes they do when diamonds are forced into ready-made settings that are too large for them). Only the tips of the prongs show. pretty much like in the DiamCalc picture of a hand I posted (that lacks the prongs, I''ll correct that).

I''d really like to see what a smaller basket looks like from underneath.

No problem :) I hope...

What size do you think those stones are in the pave?

I would guess half point or so on the prongs and the basket and perhaps up to two point on the ring shank. If I knew the precise size of anything in that picture, it would be easy to tell. Just as a note, the largest number of diamonds I have ever heard of on a dimaond ring was... close to 400 on a traditional cathedral style ring with a 2 carat or so round diamond! Those were .6 point on average, but not all the same size.

How about the three-sided pave in that round halo ring?

Do you think the prongs will look too long?

I do not understand the ''prongs too long'' part. You mean going too much over the face of the stone?

And most importantly, is that setting secure enough to hold a big stone?

Sure that! Although not huge, the prongs have allot of support from the support ''rings'' (the bars that go around the stone), unlike the V-shaped ''Tiffany style'' settings that work best for smaller diamonds.

I''ll try to find or draw a basket style setting with pave shank this evening
9.gif

Have you seen the stone?
6.gif

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Oh that's right madrock!!! You had the giant oval!!! Was a really pretty stone, but I think you'll be truly blinded by an 8 carat D E F emerald cut! Wow!!!

I'm not really a pave girl...I see so many rings on ps like that and they are so pretty...but for some reason I wouldn't pick it for myself... Sometimes less less less is moremoremore LOL

but again, no matter what you pick it will be stunning for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results