shape
carat
color
clarity

Emerald cut lovers - what's your preferred L/W ratio?

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
It looks beautiful ML.
The light return from the sides in that video is better then from the ends of the stone. BUT. You were only rocking East to West.
N-S is also important. most of the time it will be away to the north a little from you POV.
The corner facets run all the way to the keel :)

Thanks @Garry H (Cut Nut) - this is all such an education for me. How does this look? Bad lighting but...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thanks @Garry H (Cut Nut) - this is all such an education for me. How does this look? Bad lighting but...

There seems to be a bit more light return and contrast in the sides than the ends of the stone - but you should be able to tell us that.
I think your phone cover may be black - if you stick some white over it you will get a different video - but it looks like a very fine diamond :)

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, you're right on both counts @Garry H (Cut Nut) - more light return on the sides than ends, and dark phone case ;-)

Do you think the diamond linked in my OP would be significantly better in terms of light return?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Yep, you're right on both counts @Garry H (Cut Nut) - more light return on the sides than ends, and dark phone case ;-)

Do you think the diamond linked in my OP would be significantly better in terms of light return?
I see Karl is all over it - just point out the black case etc - Karl is an addicted wizz with EC's

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, never mind - my hold ran out and it's sold :( I guess it's a sign from the universe to be happy with what I have!

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Changed my username to something more anonymous for privacy reasons, but I'm still MillieLou :)

I didn't end up going for the 1.71 - I think that with BN's policy of having to double the cost of the diamond to upgrade, I may as well go for my dream size of 2ct. This one has the same L/W ratio as yours @eh613c - 1.39 - I think 1.4 is my sweet spot. Anyone got any thoughts on how this looks?

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock
D6A06579-6D6F-4A63-9B18-F3260CC3370E.jpeg D6A06579-6D6F-4A63-9B18-F3260CC3370E.jpeg
I’m totally totally obsessed with whatever this is.
Is it an emerald, elongated asscher? I don’t know but I want one!!

Attachments

• 1560D788-84F8-4B86-9996-B73293668F63.jpeg
    1560D788-84F8-4B86-9996-B73293668F63.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 10

eh613c

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Changed my username to something more anonymous for privacy reasons, but I'm still MillieLou :)

I didn't end up going for the 1.71 - I think that with BN's policy of having to double the cost of the diamond to upgrade, I may as well go for my dream size of 2ct. This one has the same L/W ratio as yours @eh613c - 1.39 - I think 1.4 is my sweet spot. Anyone got any thoughts on how this looks?

@User9879342 I always have a hard time reviewing the performance in this setting where the stone sits on an angle and you only see it move left to right. For emeralds I like to see it move N-S and E-W. Doesn’t BN have a good return policy? You may want to purchase and play with it for a couple days in different lighting. Sorry I don’t have experience with BN. Perhaps others with more experience in this type of setting should chime in.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks @eh613c - yes the videos aren't the most helpful.

Some really gorgeous ECs here. I think my conclusion from this thread is when it comes to ECs, skinny or fat, I WANT THEM ALL.

MillieLou

Brilliant_Rock
After a chat with DH, I've come to a conclusion. I am still way too indecisive and need time to finalise what I really want. I'm going to enjoy my existing EC and look to upgrade to a 2ct for a Big Birthday in a couple of years' time. I will be back to pester you all then!

I am generally impatient but need to learn to step back and let my tastes develop rather than rushing to spend money. Like I said, this is the first ever EC I've seen up close in real life! I will think, and browse, and ogle, and save all of your gorgeous rings in my virtual inspiration folder... and save up 8-)

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Uisce is a beauty!!

Thank you! She is quite special!
I plan to “upgrade” my ER, someday, BUT, I will NEVER trade her to do it! DH & I are far too attached to this EC to part with it. I will likely make a pendant for her, when the time comes.
The struggle is real, concerning fancy cuts like EC’s. Personal preference plays a heavy role in choosing YOUR stone.
Once you get the “feels” for one, you’ll know. ;)2

Matthews1127

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I like slightly elongated. Mine is 1.39 169272E3-91D5-4E85-A10C-A2E1DAAFDDB1.jpeg

For elongated, I love this look by the Moonstoned

I’m so in love with that emerald and emerald cut diamond ring from moon stoned I have seen it before and I have it saved in my photos.

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter's engagement ring comes out at 1.28 and I love it, a little chunky and not square but not long and skinny.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results